Bedlam 2022

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Rivalries are the best aspect of this sport. I just want to maintain one of the best. What’s wrong with that?

I would concede an open week every September. But I’d prefer the game to be played later in the season

Then you get to host what is currently the third most watched rivalry game in the country every other year. $exy.
In other words, you want to get your cake (SEC) and eat it too (OSU).

If Beldam was that important to OU, they would've worked with OSU immediately whether that's taking us to the SEC too or working a Bedlam deal then and there. Instead, OU blindsided everyone and then played the victim.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the biggest group of entitled whine bag chumps that there is in college sports.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
In other words, you want to get your cake (SEC) and eat it too (OSU).

If Beldam was that important to OU, they would've worked with OSU immediately whether that's taking us to the SEC too or working a Bedlam deal then and there. Instead, OU blindsided everyone and then played the victim.

I wouldn't expect anything less from the biggest group of entitled whine bag chumps that there is in college sports.
Yes. I want to play in the sec, for many reasons, and also maintain the other rivalry game.

What's wrong with that? Lots of out of conference rivalries are maintained.

OU tried to take osu with, but sec didnt want them. In the original shakeup in 2010, they offered OU and aggie. OU would have went if osu got an invite too. sec said no osu, and took missouri instead. Pac had an offer to invite a handful of big 12 teams including osu, that would have worked. but we know how that played out.

There still isnt enough interest to get osu over to sec right now. and besides, why would you want to? at this point staying in big 12, they could very well be a perennial playoff team when it expands. But who knows, if sec expands further to 20 teams, maybe osu could be one of them. But i'd expect them to go after some acc schools first.

Anyway, you say OU blindsided everyone, Gundy said that OU went after the money- which really tells me that the osu response is mostly still coming from a place of butthurt. I guess I understand, but eventually when the butthurt wears off, cooler heads will prevail and we'll get this game back on the books. It's good for the state, and it's the most high profile (regular season) game osu plays every year.

Especially with playoff expansion, you can still be in the hunt with a 2nd loss.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yes. I want to play in the sec, for many reasons, and also maintain the other rivalry game.

OU tried to take osu with, but sec didnt want them. In the original shakeup in 2010, they offered OU and aggie. OU would have went if osu got an invite too. sec said no osu, and took missouri instead. Pac had an offer to invite a handful of big 12 teams including osu, that would have worked. but we know how that played out.

There still isnt enough interest to get osu over to sec right now. and besides, why would you want to? at this point staying in big 12, they could very well be a perennial playoff team when it expands. But who knows, if sec expands further to 20 teams, maybe osu could be one of them. But i'd expect them to go after some acc schools first.

Anyway, you say OU blindsided everyone, Gundy said that OU went after the money- which really tells me that the osu response is mostly still coming from a place of butthurt. I guess I understand, but eventually when the butthurt wears off, cooler heads will prevail and we'll get this game back on the books. It's good for the state, and it's the most high profile (regular season) game osu plays every year.

Especially with playoff expansion, you can still be in the hunt with a 2nd loss.
Proof of goons wanting to take the Pokes, please. That has never been said.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Name a conference rivalry that was immediately maintained after one of the teams left the conference.

Source?

There's a reason I said the next round and not right now. If Beldam is so lucrative they'll hit us up first. There's TV dollar data out there that showed OSU as a top 25 viewed team. I'm sure they'll reach out to us early, but that's just my smart opinion. You're entitled to your dumb opinion, of course.

What's the correlation between blindsiding and going after the money? OU blind sided the rest of the conference by going after the money while nobody else but Texas was privy to it. Two things can be true at once.

You say Gundy is butt hurt because he mentioned money, but in that very same statement, he did say it was "okay." If it's okay for OU to chase money then there shouldn't be any hurt butts. Mine certainly is not hurt. In fact, our butt is the blind side. Nobody saw this coming. OU killed beldam. Not OSU.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Maybe you just didnt know?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=5319856

Boren said the SEC extended offers only to Oklahoma and Texas A&M, both of which opted to stay in a slimmed-down Big 12 after Colorado left for the Pac-10 and Nebraska left for the Big Ten. Because the SEC offer didn't include two of the Sooners' key rivals, Oklahoma State and Texas, Boren said he didn't consider it a good option.

Last Friday, Oklahoma State president Burns Hargis confirmed that his school "never had an offer" from the SEC, "so it was never anything to consider." Both he and Boren expressed a strong interest in sticking together through any future conference realignment.

"Had the Pac-10 thing fallen apart, had the Big 12 minus two not been put back together, we would have probably ended up having much more serious conversations with the SEC, and [asked] would they take OSU and Texas, for example," Boren said. "It never got to that."
Bottom line is OU would have left for sec if they had extended invites to their rivals in 2010.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Maybe you just didnt know?

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/news/story?id=5319856

Bottom line is OU would have left for sec if they had extended invites to their rivals in 2010.
Thanks for the source, but you left out some context about Texas being a reason as well. It makes me wonder what OU's decision would have been if Texas was included. I know the answer now.

I'm guessing Texas didn't get the invite because they had just created the LHN back then.

Midnight Toker

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
May 28, 2010
Name a conference rivalry that was immediately maintained after one of the teams left the conference.

Sounds like more research than I am interested in doing. Point is many rivalries are maintained out of conference. Osu is just trying real hard to act like that's some insurmountable issue for them.

ESPN in a link I shared in a previous post.

There's a reason I said the next round and not right now. If Beldam is so lucrative they'll hit us up first. There's TV dollar data out there that showed OSU as a top 25 viewed team. I'm sure they'll reach out to us early, but that's just my smart opinion. You're entitled to your dumb opinion, of course.
sec is less concerned about the bedlam rivalry, they already get tons of viewership ratings without it. Considering two of osu's most viewed games every year are against texas and OU, their ratings will not be quite as good without them. sec would look at clemson #9 and fsu #14 before ok state. possibly even north carolina and virginia for basketball before ok state.

What's the correlation between blindsiding and going after the money? OU blind sided the rest of the conference by going after the money while nobody else but Texas was privy to it. Two things can be true at once.

You say Gundy is butt hurt because he mentioned money, but in that very same statement, he did say it was "okay." If it's okay for OU to chase money then there shouldn't be any hurt butts. Mine certainly is not hurt. In fact, our butt is the blind side. Nobody saw this coming. OU killed beldam. Not OSU.
[/QUOTE]

His comments were that OU blinded sided them by going after the money. That's the correlation.

Of course he said it was okay, he's trying to make it look like he wasnt butthurt about it. But osu clearly is, based on their comments about it. But , it's okay to be butthurt, i get it. maybe i would be too. It sounds like osu's butthurt ended bedlam, because there's an open invitation to play this game out of conference.

But i wouldnt expect a program who loses 90% of the time to OU to willingly schedule them annually if they dont have to.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Sounds like more research than I am interested in doing. Point is many rivalries are maintained out of conference. Osu is just trying real hard to act like that's some insurmountable issue for them.
Here's some sample data:

OU/Neb killed for a decade
WV/Pitt killed for a decade
UT/aggy dead until SEC deal
KU/Mizzou dead

ESPN in a link I shared in a previous post.
That was helpful. Thanks. I responded.

sec is less concerned about the bedlam rivalry, they already get tons of viewership ratings without it. Considering two of osu's most viewed games every year are against texas and OU, their ratings will not be quite as good without them. sec would look at clemson #9 and fsu #14 before ok state. possibly even north carolina and virginia for basketball before ok state.
His comments were that OU blinded sided them by going after the money. That's the correlation.

Of course he said it was okay, he's trying to make it look like he wasnt butthurt about it. But osu clearly is, based on their comments about it. But , it's okay to be butthurt, i get it. maybe i would be too. It sounds like osu's butthurt ended bedlam, because there's an open invitation to play this game out of conference.

But i wouldnt expect a program who loses 90% of the time to OU to willingly schedule them annually if they dont have to.
You are speaking out of both sides of your mouth here. SEC loves money. Bedlam makes money. OSU is a top 20 viewed team.

Boy howdy.. look at all the ACC in front of OSU. The SEC must be licking their chops.
https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50