Bedlam 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 22, 2021
Tulsa
It didn’t ruin the Big 12 championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What? Of course it didn't ruin the Big 12 championship...it's a game with zero tradition that's been played in multiple professional stadiums (and the Alamo Dome) and wasn't played at all for about 6 years. The RRS has been played in the same stadium, at the state fair for 117 years.

The OU/TX Big 12 championship game in Jerry World was fun but it was a shell of the game that the RRS is. The environment wasn't even comparable...way too sterile.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
I know, I’ve been to both. My main issue is other than the game, getting to the fair ground sucks. The assholes to elbows walk out is horrible. Traffic leaving is horrible. I wouldn’t change it at all. I’m just saying one day they probably will. And it won’t be that bad. Jerry’s World is a fantastic football venue. They got it figured out.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
What? Of course it didn't ruin the Big 12 championship...it's a game with zero tradition that's been played in multiple professional stadiums (and the Alamo Dome) and wasn't played at all for about 6 years. The RRS has been played in the same stadium, at the state fair for 117 years.

The OU/TX Big 12 championship game in Jerry World was fun but it was a shell of the game that the RRS is. The environment wasn't even comparable...way too sterile.
No. The Cotton Bowl opened up 91 years ago, not 117 years ago.

Jul 22, 2021
Tulsa
I know, I’ve been to both. My main issue is other than the game, getting to the fair ground sucks. The assholes to elbows walk out is horrible. Traffic leaving is horrible. I wouldn’t change it at all. I’m just saying one day they probably will. And it won’t be that bad. Jerry’s World is a fantastic football venue. They got it figured out.

It's all part of the experience. You just have to stay at the fair and enjoy the win longer. If you're not taking the DART from downtown, you're doing it wrong. Every time I've gone to Jerry World, it's a massive pain in the butt to get out of there as well.

I know one of the guys at the top of the team that built and managed American Airlines Arena, The Ballpark at Arlington, AT&T Stadium, the new SF stadium, and now is in the same position at Globe Life. They went all in to get the game back in 2009 when AT&T opened and the contract with Dallas for the RRS was about to be up. OU and UT used it as leverage to get some major upgrades to the Cotton Bowl and that was the end of it. If it didn't move then, when there was actually some people pushing for it on the OU/UT sides...it isn't going to happen. I'm guessing in 2025 when it comes up for renewal, Dallas will agree to more upgrades and it will get extended out another 10-15 years. It just has too massive of economic impact on Downtown Dallas and the surrounding area to risk losing it to Arlington.

I guarantee the SEC doesn't want it to move either. It's the crown jewel of the package OU and UT bring to their conference and they don't want damage the marketing impact of that game...and you will if the extra 100k+ students and fans who go to the fair but not to the game every year, are eliminated. All you have to do is listen to the ESPN Gameday team talking about how awesome and unique the whole environment is to understand why a move isn't going to happen.

AT&T is a fantastic professional venue and a great neutral site venue for one off college matchups and bowl games but it's no substitute for the State Fair and the Cotton Bowl for the Red River Showdown. Moving it to a sterile environment like that will ruin the game and both fanbases would be livid if it were to happen. It would undoubtable ruin it for the student fanbases...many of which just got down to go to the fair and don't actually go to the game.

Last edited:

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
That's ok, you won your superbowl and are still behind two one loss teams.
Unlike you guys, Oklahoma plays for more than just defeating their main rival.

Technically no. Oklahoma is behind two undefeated teams in the poll. Nobody gives a rats ass about RJ Young’s opinion but you guys apparently.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Unlike you guys, Oklahoma plays for more than just defeating their main rival.

Technically no. Oklahoma is behind two undefeated teams in the poll. Nobody gives a rats ass about RJ Young’s opinion but you guys apparently.

It is about as relevant as a preseason poll.