Bedlam 2021

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Says a lot that he hasn’t even done that yet
Says the same thing that Gundy’s been about the last ten years. Dude doesn’t care. He Forrest Gumped into a conference championship. Won Bedlam while Riley was trying to leave Norman and it’ll keep the Stillwaterians happy because they finally beat those gooney gooners.

It really has dawned on me though. There’s not a dollars worth of difference between Kirk Ferentz and Mike Gundy. Both made a name for themselves a long time ago and have been coasting off of it ever since. They’re always in the discussion for best team in the conference but never on top when the season is done. Massive amounts of mediocrity and it takes little to make the hometown crowd happy so they kinda just keep him around.

That’s it. That’s the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely helps a lot at the fans & administration don’t have the kind of lofty expectations that other programs do And it’s a lot less pressure on the coach. That’s why I was never a believer that Riley would ever I went to LSU, they are even more rabid than Oklahoma. And they don’t have the same expectations out west

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Oklahoma new staff already winning recruiting battles against SC. And just picked up the commitment of a D lineman that LSU was going after, and they got him anyway despite the fact that he played for Tulane. Good staff, Good Start.

So that’s two beefy dlinemen already. The portal has been good to OU this cycle despite some of the losses. Even alabama had a bunch of people leave. Wonder how the portal is treating lil bro’s offensive line

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Gabriel isn’t an upgrade period. But he knows Lebby’s system and performs it quite well. Now he’s got Oklahoma players and Oklahoma resources.

Georgia just won a title with a walk on QB. You don’t need an elite QB to win a title.

Oklahoma’s bringing in a ton of talent and being incredibly aggressive in the portal this off-season. They’re even gonna have a late signing period push for the ‘22 class. Something that they haven’t traditionally done.

Anyhoo. Oklahoma is light years ahead of where Oklahoma State is presently. Despite you guys winning Bedlam this year. So keep on talking.

Ah hey look you can’t add to a debate at all. I notice you didn’t attempt to refute any of that.

Why refute ignorance?

Jul 22, 2021
Tulsa
[
Within a couple months, OU fans have chanted for Williams to replace their previous hero Rattler, then Riley leaves and Williams becomes a bum that they are better off without and is easily upgraded. If he somehow returned to OU, all of a sudden he would be Football Jesus again. Outside of College Station, there is no bigger clown show of a fanbase.
Fan is short for fanatic lol. No one said we were ALWAYS rational. A ton of our fans also wanted Mike Stoops to rejoin the staff to be a Co-DC with Venables to see if it would replicate their success together before he left in 2003. Contrary to what many people outside the program seem to think, no one ever wanted BV to leave, but he wanted to be the guy so he took the Clemson job and the pay raise that came with it. BV’s worst defense was in the top 35, we’ve had one defense in the top 35 since (Grinch) and produced the worst defenses in the history of the program. BV on the other hand took over another program’s defense which ended up almost always being in the top 5 and winning national championships against the top SEC schools. Hindsight is 20/20.

That said…Rattler was never a “hero” to anyone other than the media that made him the Heisman favorite. He wasn't great in the first half of 2020 then finished strong but had an annoying, entitled attitude that didn’t ever endear hims to the fanbase. That was pretty evident when the students were chanting for him to be benched when we were undefeated...didn’t even do that with Landry Jones who no one liked for whatever reason. Williams was a hero, and deservedly so, because of what he did at OU/TX but everyone became more realistic when he started fading down the stretch against better defenses. People may have said we don’t need him to be successful but no one has ever acted like he’s a bum, just that he’s a true freshman who only played in 8 games and played well in 4 of them. Easily upgradable talent wise, no. Easy to find a more experienced player who can do at least as well as he did, go 6-2 and not put himself in position to have to pull of a miracle to avoid a program worst loss to KU, yes. I think Williams will finish his college career as an elite QB and potential number 1 draft pick but he isn’t there yet and there are still parts of his game that will need to develop to get there.

Saying that at the start of next season Dillon Gabriel, who’s thrown for 8000 yards over 2.25 seasons playing in the offense that’s being installed this off-season, will fundamentally be the better QB (not the more talented) between the two isn’t a crazy take. He’s currently the more accurate passer, makes better reads and progressions, throws a better deep ball, does a better job of finding open receivers in the flow of the offense, and has a much more thorough knowledge of the offense. By the end of the season I think CW would probably surpass DG, but it would highly depend on his ability to grow in those areas this off-season and learn the new offense. At any rate, even if DG isn’t as talented as Williams, he is still a very capable QB that has shown that he can have success with a much less talented cast in Lebby’s offense.

And yes there are plenty of other fan bases that are more ridiculous than OU’s. We’ve had a ton of success, are always close to the top or win the conference. Any fanbase that has consistently been mediocre but thinks they’re going to make a leap into relevancy every year is more ridiculous . Texas, who decided every off-season that they’re “back”, for example is much more delusional, lol, as are several SEC fanbases that have been riding the coattails of Alabama since 2009.

Last edited:

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Teams like what Venables is gonna lead are defensive dominant period.
Just stop! You don't even B&F good. You've now reduced yourself to spewing stupid shit to make yourself feel better about the school you never attended being on the edge of destruction.

Have you honestly convinced yourself that Venables won championships with teams who didn't have elite QB play?
GTFO!

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Edge of destruction?

Hot damn you’re dramatic. Oklahoma’s in a better position now than they were before Riley left.

Defense is the one common denominator in all the recent national champions. But you don’t necessarily need an elite QB to win it. Not all the winners had elite QB play. Clemson? Yes they did. But it’s not necessary. Not that Oklahoma can’t get an elite QB, because they can.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Well I mean, they lost almost their entire coaching staff & a bunch of commits including two 5 stars just 2 weeks before signing day and still managed to salvage a top 10 class, and they arent done yet. Says a lot about the juice that the program has. Gundy couldnt get a top 10 class after his best season in a decade....just how bad would the osu class have been if they lost gundy, the qb coach, wrs coach, the recruiting coordinator, a handful of assitants, and entire defensive staff days after bedlam? Credit where credit is due.
OU is blueblood. Without it, you’d be OSU. Anybody they’d hire would get similar results. It isn’t unique to the guy you celebrated leaving in favor of Mike Stoops.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Well I mean, they lost almost their entire coaching staff & a bunch of commits including two 5 stars just 2 weeks before signing day and still managed to salvage a top 10 class, and they arent done yet. Says a lot about the juice that the program has. Gundy couldnt get a top 10 class after his best season in a decade....just how bad would the osu class have been if they lost gundy, the qb coach, wrs coach, the recruiting coordinator, a handful of assitants, and entire defensive staff days after bedlam? Credit where credit is due.
OU is blueblood. Without it, you’d be OSU. Anybody they’d hire would get similar results. It isn’t unique to the guy you celebrated leaving in favor of Mike Stoops.
Ah I see. So anyone could have waltzed into Norman, losing 3 of their 4 best commits, & best d line commit in over a decade & wham bam talk a handful of kids he hasn’t developed relationships with into a top 10 class, with a disadvantage in NIL, all within 2 weeks? Is this what all you people here meant by “OU a dumpster fire?” Imagine what hell he able to do when he has a full year to trick teenagers Into committing.

Guess how many top 10 classes stoops had his last 10 years. 3. So easy to get top 10 classes as you can see

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
Edge of destruction?

Hot damn you’re dramatic. Oklahoma’s in a better position now than they were before Riley left.

Defense is the one common denominator in all the recent national champions. But you don’t necessarily need an elite QB to win it. Not all the winners had elite QB play. Clemson? Yes they did. But it’s not necessary. Not that Oklahoma can’t get an elite QB, because they can.

Dec 9, 2013
Gabriel isn’t an upgrade period. But he knows Lebby’s system and performs it quite well. Now he’s got Oklahoma players and Oklahoma resources.

Georgia just won a title with a walk on QB. You don’t need an elite QB to win a title.

Oklahoma’s bringing in a ton of talent and being incredibly aggressive in the portal this off-season. They’re even gonna have a late signing period push for the ‘22 class. Something that they haven’t traditionally done.

Anyhoo. Oklahoma is light years ahead of where Oklahoma State is presently. Despite you guys winning Bedlam this year. So keep on talking.

You are just not being rational. Can uo win the Big12 without elite QB play? Most assuredly. Baylor did and we were within 1/2 a yard. So yes it can be done. But did you watch GA or Alabama at all this year? The reason they keep blowing the doors off everyone in the CFP w the exception of Clemson is the 15-20 recruits they have on the OL & DL. The only reason uo was in the CFP was bc of elite QB play. Maybe the most elite stretch of multiple QBs in the last 20-30 yrs. You have nothing like they have in the trenches. Sure. Maybe 1 guy here or there but nothing like what they’ve got and now you are replacing them w portal guys from CA and Tulane. You definitely have the talent to win the Big12 next year even w the transfer QB. But you are nuckin futt’s if you think the talent you have on campus/coming in w a transfer FCS QB let’s you compete w the Ohio St’s, Bama’s and Dogs of college football. I’ve said it a 100 times. Your talent was top 10. Your QB play was out of this world. You competed in a conference w built in advantages that no other blue blood had. Namely no other blue blood. Chief rival at a 50/50 neutral site. Another top 15 rival that has a mental block against you and perhaps the worst P5 program of all time.

You won’t have that any more. And you won’t have the NIL $$$ to compete w those schools or Texas A&M or USC once they get rolling and lock down CA & NV which have been great for you over the past 20 yrs.

It’s not going to be about DNA or tradition going forward. You have no clue financially what mud hole you’ve stepped in. Lincoln did and when told he couldn’t have it he bolted and took most of his toys with him from 2021 -2023. Sure you recovered w some nice additions and a nice portal QB. But how many of the people you were competing against tried to nab your portal pickups? Not the LSU’s or UCLA’s or Arkie’s of the world. How many offers did your portal pick ups get from USC, or Michigan or Tx or A&M or tOSU or Bama or GA or even ND?