Basketball ticket renewals and upgrades…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
With all the transfers from last year will anyone be going to home games this year? Many season tickets holders did not renew this year is my understanding and seat upgrades will be in several weeks. With such poor attendance my guess is people are just buying cheap tickets for specific games and moving down to empty lower seats. I pay close to $3000 bucks for two seats and it is really disturbing to me that people buy cheap seats and move down. The lower level was opened up for students last year but was only half full for most games. We have had beer at games but the attendance continues to be poor.

What is the answer to get OSU BB back to the Sutton era with sold out games? Is it ticket prices, coaching, new transfer rule, or does OSU only care about football?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
We had the best player in the country...our regional completely opened up in the tourney and we lost to Oregon St
We blew our chance to get the excitement back with a deep run

Our conference is only getting better in basketball boys and I fear our best years are behind us unless we get a HOF level coach

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Seems we are spending money on TBP renovation and recently build O’Brate but no one really cares about Basketball anymore. We give away tickets and people still don’t show up. GIA either needs upgrading or build a new Arena with seating in the 9000 range. I don’t know how GIA passes OSHA standards as you have to ride escalators up to the third level and then walk down steep steps down or up to your seats.

Hopefully GIA will be renovated soon where people in the lower 200 level can walk up to their seats rather than go up the escalators and seats need increased leg room on the first rows. Get rid of the floor level seats as they are rarely full or only coaches families sit in them.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2006
With all the transfers from last year will anyone be going to home games this year? Many season tickets holders did not renew this year is my understanding and seat upgrades will be in several weeks. With such poor attendance my guess is people are just buying cheap tickets for specific games and moving down to empty lower seats. I pay close to $3000 bucks for two seats and it is really disturbing to me that people buy cheap seats and move down. The lower level was opened up for students last year but was only half full for most games. We have had beer at games but the attendance continues to be poor.

What is the answer to get OSU BB back to the Sutton era with sold out games? Is it ticket prices, coaching, new transfer rule, or does OSU only care about football?
OSU better start taking basketball serious, it’s the second highest revenue sport. We need to be spending money on it to build a product people will spend money to go see.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
2 NCAA Tournament wins in the last 16 years is the problem. Not much to get excited about, yet. We’re at the base of the mountain, and the climb really should start this fall.

GIA is not the problem at all. It’s still a tremendous facility. The player amenities are about as good as any in the country. We just need the rowdy back, which will come with consistent winning, which will come from playing consistently good basketball. Our basketball program should be considered a sleeping giant. We have everything we need to get back to a winning program.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fnP2mBUCPC8

Sep 23, 2010
The spirt of play has to connect with fans. Underwood, despite my displeasure for his departure, had the fellas playing with high intensity and urgency. And our fans started to add to the attendance during his year. You could feel it coming back a bit. But by MB's second year, all that momentum was lost. Certainly didn't help that Cade played in a Covid year. And then the next year we fell on our face in non-conference to show we were taking a clear step back instead of forward despite having a ton of returners. We need some sustained momentum. Inflation and gas prices certainly will hurt with renewals this year as discretionary income gets more difficult in our current economic environment. We have to be good enough and play with enough spirit for people to validate paying those extra costs.

Sep 23, 2010
I have always been neutral of HCMB, but I have always believed a big part of him getting the job was because Mike Holder knew he could get him cheap as coaches salaries were and continue to move up and up.
I think he saw MB’s work ethic, which I believe is unquestionable. He also relates to people. He just hasn’t gotten his guys to play with a real identity and consistency. And has always struggled to get the guys to score.

Holders gamble made sense to me. Neutral is a good approach. We see the good stuff but we are ready for the team to have some real teeth, some real juice.

tony6777

Anthony
A/V Subscriber
Aug 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Make no mistake, COVID is keeping a lot of people at home. It's a matter of risk. Sure, maybe most have had it, but it's not always about whether you'll survive it again, the shear disruption to life super sucks. It keeps churning out hew variants. It took my whole family out of commision for a solid 3 weeks of hell. So, it's about risk mitigation still for many many people.

The post season ban hurt. That's now in the rear view, so better days are ahead in that respect.

Winning fixes all. People will come out of the woodwork begging for tickets if we just win win win.

Careful about complaining about folks shifting seats. Before you know it, they'll be doing like they do in baseball and giving an audible for folks to shift at halftime perhaps. Just be glad some fans are even at the game. It's not easy, especially if having to travel in from Tulsa or OKC as many of us do.

We carry four 200 level tix and pay good money for them as well. Have since 2007, will continue to do so. Loyal & True! Go Pokes!

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I think he saw MB’s work ethic, which I believe is unquestionable. He also relates to people. He just hasn’t gotten his guys to play with a real identity and consistency. And has always struggled to get the guys to score.

Holders gamble made sense to me. Neutral is a good approach. We see the good stuff but we are ready for the team to have some real teeth, some real juice.
And this is the problem, too many fans are staying quiet and neutral on MB. His teams always look exactly the same, no consistency and just play streetball basketball. Yes he is a nice guy, but c'mon a losing record in the B12 and one tourney app and that took the #1 pick and we were 1 and done.

We can still have a nice guy and isn't in over his head.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
As has been said, it’s still about winning. However, the follow up to that is what does it take? It takes high quality athletes, which takes a high quality coach who can recruit and develop the athletes, which takes money brought in through actions of Weinberg and Dr. Shrum. Using Joe C. as a guide, the question we should be asking ourselves is, within the bounds of the rules and their professional morals, what are Weinberg and Shrum willing to do to make that happen? Are they willing to retain a mediocre or decent coach out of loyalty and history rather than excelling at performance? Are they willing and able to dish out the funds necessary to either bring in a new coach or retain an existing great coach? We did with Gajewski so I’m hoping that trend continues with other sports.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
So remove last years record, what is his B12 record? The ban is just a lame excuse to keep supporting him. Did it keep some fans away? I'm sure it did, but we weren't making he tournament without the ban.

Every year its the same excuses and the same results...MB=TF

Sep 23, 2010
I believe the only factor hurting attendance, outside of winning, will be current inflation/gas prices, and that will be for this upcoming season and season ticket renewals. And hopefully that's temporary. I don't believe Covid is still a deterrent for most of the population. I don't think the Post Season ban should have affected attendance either.

Winning and the energy of the belief in winning are the deal, which leads people straight to our coach. I'm not able to get far enough to say MB should go for now. But for the first time, I would say that clock is beginning to tick. And I'm guessing MB feels that way as well. Last year was a big let down with all the momentum he had built.

But building a team is different now. This is happening right in the middle of MB's tenure. NIL and the portal have changed everything. K State kept like 1 player when they changed coaches. Tang is treading water. The portal completely destroys a program on a coaching change now. Now if you hire someone good, the portal and NIL allows a quick turnaround possibility as well. But we don't have a real NIL collective at this moment.