Basketball Thoughts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Admittedly, I’m not really a basketball guy, but looking over next year’s likely roster, we seem to be pretty stacked. I know there are a few that have yet to produce, but have the potential to be very good. I’d like to know y’all’s expectations for next year, who you think the starters and key backups will be at each position, who will surprise us, and what you feel is our biggest remaining need, i.e., a 7’ center. Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
2021 Roster
Guards:

Isaac Likekele
Avery Anderson
Bryce Williams (?)
Rondel Walker
Chris Harris Jr.
Donovan Williams
Bryce Thompson

Forwards:

Keylan Boone
Matthew-Alexander Moncrieffe
Kalib Boone
Woody Newton
Tyreek Smith
Bernard Kouma

Possible lineup:

Anderson/B. Williams
Thompson/Walker/Harris Jr.
Likekele/Ke. Boone/D. Williams
Moncrieffe/Newton
Ka. Boone/Smith/Kouma

Top to bottom, that is a really deep squad. 8 of those 13 guys are proven contributors (to varying degrees) within the program - Ice, AA, MAM, Walker, the Boones, Williams, and Kouma.

Of the remaining 5, you have a McDonald's All-American and four 4-star recruits. Each of them has the potential to contribute to winning basketball at the Big 12 level but they have to prove it.

Williams and Harris are coming off major injuries with limited in-game experience, Thompson had basically the worst case scenario Freshman season at KU, and Newton & Smith were relegated to mop-up duty at their previous schools. I believe all of them have the ability to perform at high level but we'll just have to see.

As for team needs, we have 3 holes that I can tell.

1.) We need a scoring wing but we have plenty of options. Any of Thompson, Walker, or Williams have the potential to go get buckets, but I think we'll see more of a collective effort to get wing scoring. Hopefully, by way of improved shooting across the roster.

2.) We need a true facilitator. That said, despite having this need, there aren't many available perimeter minutes based on the guard talent currently on board. So... as much as Sahvir Wheeler would help generate offense, I don't see a spot for him in the starting lineup. Not without robbing another talented guard of his minutes, at least.

Also, I don't feel great about Bryce Williams playing on-ball for significant minutes. His handle and decision making is not good enough to take on that role, hence his plethora of silly TO's last season. Solid player, not a playmaker.

If Wheeler doesn't take the last spot, I expect we'll see staggered minutes between Ice and AA as well as Thompson getting opportunities to run the offense. Prior to KU, Thompson got a lot of work as the ball handler in the PnR, and he excelled. That is where he is best and I expect to see him get plenty of chances to demonstrate that.

3.) A big-bodied post. We desperately need someone to defend strong 7-footers. Aside from shooting, this was far and away the teams' greatest weakness last season. Jericho Sims absolutely dominated the Big 12 Championship simply because Boynton had nobody who could matchup with him.

Tyreek Smith, while having a strong frame, isn't big enough to slow down David McCormack.

Michael Durr would be my pick for the last scholarship.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
My only thought is that we went from Are we going to sign anyone this year? To trying to see who gets the last scholarship very quickly. Great job HCMB!

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
I don't know what Thompson's shooting pedigree is, but we at least two people to become reliable shooters next year. We were not a good shooting team, and we lost our best shooter. The potential is there, but how far can you really go without any shooters?

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
2021 Roster
Guards:

Isaac Likekele
Avery Anderson
Bryce Williams (?)
Rondel Walker
Chris Harris Jr.
Donovan Williams
Bryce Thompson

Forwards:

Keylan Boone
Kalib Boone
Woody Newton
Tyreek Smith
Bernard Kouma

Possible lineup:

Anderson/B. Williams
Moncrieffe/Newton
Ka. Boone/Smith/Kouma

Top to bottom, that is a really deep squad. 8 of those 13 guys are proven contributors (to varying degrees) within the program - Ice, AA, MAM, Walker, the Boones, Williams, and Kouma.

Of the remaining 5, you have a McDonald's All-American and four 4-star recruits. Each of them has the potential to contribute to winning basketball at the Big 12 level but they have to prove it.

Williams and Harris are coming off major injuries with limited in-game experience, Thompson had basically the worst case scenario Freshman season at KU, and Newton & Smith were relegated to mop-up duty at their previous schools. I believe all of them have the ability to perform at high level but we'll just have to see.

1.) We need a scoring wing but we have plenty of options. Any of Thompson, Walker, or Williams have the potential to go get buckets, but I think we'll see more of a collective effort to get wing scoring. Hopefully, by way of improved shooting across the roster.

2.) We need a true facilitator. That said, despite having this need, there aren't many available perimeter minutes based on the guard talent currently on board. So... as much as Sahvir Wheeler would help generate offense, I don't see a spot for him in the starting lineup. Not without robbing another talented guard of his minutes, at least.

Also, I don't feel great about Bryce Williams playing on-ball for significant minutes. His handle and decision making is not good enough to take on that role, hence his plethora of silly TO's last season. Solid player, not a playmaker.

If Wheeler doesn't take the last spot, I expect we'll see staggered minutes between Ice and AA as well as Thompson getting opportunities to run the offense. Prior to KU, Thompson got a lot of work as the ball handler in the PnR, and he excelled. That is where he is best and I expect to see him get plenty of chances to demonstrate that.

3.) A big-bodied post. We desperately need someone to defend strong 7-footers. Aside from shooting, this was far and away the teams' greatest weakness last season. Jericho Sims absolutely dominated the Big 12 Championship simply because Boynton had nobody who could matchup with him.

Tyreek Smith, while having a strong frame, isn't big enough to slow down David McCormack.

This is a great post, well done.

Aug 16, 2012
2021 Roster
Guards:

Isaac Likekele
Avery Anderson
Bryce Williams (?)
Rondel Walker
Chris Harris Jr.
Donovan Williams
Bryce Thompson

Forwards:

Keylan Boone
Kalib Boone
Woody Newton
Tyreek Smith
Bernard Kouma

Possible lineup:

Anderson/B. Williams
Moncrieffe/Newton
Ka. Boone/Smith/Kouma

Guess I do not understand why your first "need" is a scoring wing but you and others keep slotting Likekely there. With Walker's upside and his defense, I see him being the 3.
my chair.jpg

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
2021 Roster
Guards:

Isaac Likekele
Avery Anderson
Bryce Williams (?)
Rondel Walker
Chris Harris Jr.
Donovan Williams
Bryce Thompson

Forwards:

Keylan Boone
Kalib Boone
Woody Newton
Tyreek Smith
Bernard Kouma

Possible lineup:

Anderson/B. Williams
Moncrieffe/Newton
Ka. Boone/Smith/Kouma

Really good writeup--thanks!

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
2021 Roster
Guards:

Isaac Likekele
Avery Anderson
Bryce Williams (?)
Rondel Walker
Chris Harris Jr.
Donovan Williams
Bryce Thompson

Forwards:

Keylan Boone
Kalib Boone
Woody Newton
Tyreek Smith
Bernard Kouma

Possible lineup:

Anderson/B. Williams
Moncrieffe/Newton
Ka. Boone/Smith/Kouma

Guess I do not understand why your first "need" is a scoring wing but you and others keep slotting Likekely there. With Walker's upside and his defense, I see him being the 3.
View attachment 90216
That's a fair point. In my opinion, though, Boynton will try to put his best 5 on the court. And the way I see it, you can really consider positions 1-3 interchangeable.

All of the 3 - Ice, AA, and Thompson - are better with the ball in their hands. Each will get possessions as the initiator.

Also, I know people are pretty down on Ice after his finish to the season, but he got almost entirely pushed off the ball and never got right physically. It was clear he lacked his typical explosion because of the ankle and he couldn't use his right hand because of the thumb.

Ice at his peak:

https://youtu.be/Im-R-w9ehGc

https://youtu.be/TgQISyENRws

Lastly, I see the "scoring wing" coming in the aggregate of multiple guys rather than one. So I could see Rondel Walker or even Bryce Williams jumping into the starting 5 at some point. Both guys are tremendous defenders as well and Boynton loves that.

Between Thompson, Walker, B. Williams, D. Williams, Harris Jr., Ke. Boone, and maybe even Newton I think the scoring wing need will be met.

Aug 16, 2012
That's a fair point. In my opinion, though, Boynton will try to put his best 5 on the court. And the way I see it, you can really consider positions 1-3 interchangeable.

All of the 3 - Ice, AA, and Thompson - are better with the ball in their hands. Each will get possessions as the initiator.

Also, I know people are pretty down on Ice after his finish to the season, but he got almost entirely pushed off the ball and never got right physically. It was clear he lacked his typical explosion because of the ankle and he couldn't use his right hand because of the thumb.

Ice at his peak:

Lastly, I see the "scoring wing" coming in the aggregate of multiple guys rather than one. So I could see Rondel Walker or even Bryce Williams jumping into the starting 5 at some point. Both guys are tremendous defenders as well and Boynton loves that.

Between Thompson, Walker, B. Williams, D. Williams, Harris Jr., Ke. Boone, and maybe even Newton I think the scoring wing need will be met.

the upshot is....we have a shit ton of options and unlike in years past, going from option 1 to option 2 is not going to be cause to start drinking.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Ice at his peak:

the upshot is....we have a shit ton of options and unlike in years past, going from option 1 to option 2 is not going to be cause to start drinking.
Now days basketball is position less. The days of a back to the basket center, power forward, small forward, shooting guard and point guard are long gone. The point is to play to the strengths of the 5 you have on the court and exploit the weaknesses of the their 5. With this rooster we have a good chance to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 16, 2012
Now days basketball is position less. The days of a back to the basket center, power forward, small forward, shooting guard and point guard are long gone. The point is to play to the strengths of the 5 you have on the court and exploit the weaknesses of the their 5. With this rooster we have a good chance to do this.

Who you callin' a rooster?:p

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Who you callin' a rooster?:p
He’ll be valuable when we play South Carolina.

I edited that post twice and missed that error.

Jan 14, 2006
With as loaded as we are with athletes and how well we scored in transition last year, do you think we'll see more press? Seems like we're building a lineup that could wear teams down and create opportunities playing that way.

Sep 23, 2010
There will be some questions about how we do against a packed in zone or pack line defense that tries to put us in the half court and make us score over the top. Cade made most of our 3's a year ago. AA was just extending his range last year to the 3 ball. Thompson shot terribly from 3 against Kansas despite the scout saying he can shoot. And Ice....well we know his 3pt abilities aren't there yet. MAM has not shown a jumpshot yet. Kalib can shoot FTs well, maybe he can extend that into some jumpshooting from out there? That's likely our 5 best and not a ton of shooting there.

At the start of last season, Boynton tried to have more shooting out there at the beginning of the season with Flavors. But he quickly learned things go better when you just have your best players out there.

I agree with Cowboy15 that we all are guilty of remembering how bad Ice was at the end of last season. But Ice has been All Big 12 Honorable mention his sophomore and junior year. By the way, he's the only player on our roster that has received Big 12 honors. We don't have Cade anymore. We need 3 guys to be in on those teams. Obviously, AA would have earned a spot had he played like he did the last 10 games all season. Kalib could have been on some of these teams had he been more consistent at the beginning of the year.

Sep 23, 2010
Right now we are becoming the Texas football of college basketball. First in recruiting, middling in results.
You might want to check the recruiting rankings. We are recruiting exactly what OSU would be. Scoring guys in the 50-150 range. Taking on transfers that fit. And getting a high level guy here and there.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Shooting is everything. To be honest, if we did have one more scholarship to use, I’d rather throw it at a shooter than a big.

That’s part of my problem with Ice, as much as we griped about Dizzy and Lindy’s production (and Cam was pretty strong shooting threat too), their shooting just opened up everything for Ice. Look in those Syracuse highlights how both of those guys just go immediately to the corner off of transition, freezing every defender and allowing Ice to blow by. Notice all the made kicked out 3s. Ice was essentially playing with idea starting line up.

Meanwhile, Avery did what he did vs West Virginia with the rest of the team going 3-12 from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk