Basketball: Rosters are getting a bit more clear Big 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
So I was doing some mental exercises of trying to figure out how our line up would be crafted and I got to the point where I felt like I came up with 2 line ups that could be just about even facing up against each other (with one exception that, I think there’s current a major drop after our 9th guy so there is one player here who doesn’t quite fit like the rest). So I’ll provide a little description on why I think this line up would be particularly cohesive as a unit, and then the prompt is:

Who do you think would win?

I think there’s going to be a big consensus to one side but I’m going to stump a little bit got the other team

Team 1 (Black):
Ice
Bryce Williams
Rondel
Chris Harris (of if you disagree with the analysis below you can plug Smith in here, or even swap Smith and MAM as they do the same thing)
Cisse

Description:
So the genesis of this line up came from when I was thinking about the options we have at the 3 going into this year. Ice is the obvious coach choice, but the fans will want the potential of Thompson. But then I reflected on what my favorite part of this team is, and that’s the on ball pressure. If you were convinced that Rondel could really shoot it, then you could play a 3 guard line up that would absolutely wreak havoc on opposing backcourts, putting pressure for the full 90. 3 guards would also mean a heck of a lot of spacing. The downsize of this of course is the lack of size, so you would need to have a real rim protector to offset that, but it’s a tall ask since he would also have to be extremely athletic because full court pressure is going to mean A LOT of running and lateral movement. Luckily, we just happened to sign a 5 star leviathan who is one of the few ppl in the world who could play that role. Long story short, Ice is a college level Ben Simmons, and to take advantage of that guy you’ve got to surround him with shooters and utilize the defensive pressure he could bring.

I originally imagined that team with Avery running point. But after some thought, I realized that Ice might actually be the perfect fit here. First of all, he may actually be better than Avery in transition. He makes better reads to find the kick, and his inertia from weighing 240 is so difficult to deal with. Plus, this an easier way to handle a true 3 guard line up when you have someone like Ice who can guard 3s. But maybe that isn’t far enough, Ice is shockingly effective down low and he’s a real non-shooter, so maybe we could actually go one spot even lower with him. Ice to the on defense 4 allows another shooter on the court, let’s have us 4 on ball pressure threats feeding off each other and once again we have the defensive anchor to handle the lack of size elsewhere. This the team that wants to run, but offers a combination of shooting and sneaky defense that would be really hard to deal with.

Vs

Team 2 (Orange):
Avery
Bryce Thompson
Keylan
MAM
Kalib

Description: This is the half court team. Ice over Avery in transition may be a controversial take, but let’s not confuse how good Avery is. I think his ability to get to the rim in the half court is a wayyyy more difficult skill, and it’s only possible by his slenderness, speed, and mastery of angles. There’s way less space to work with in the half court, so Avery’s ability to put pressure on the rim is truly special. It’s also important to note that Avery is on a real trajectory of a shooter while Ice is not. He’s not going to be taking step back 3s, but if he sets up an offense and the ball comes back to him we can feel confident about the shot he’ll get up.

He’ll pair with Kalib, who’s post game but lack of movement makes him the ultimate half court threat, and the perfect guy to kick the ball back out and make it easier on outside shooters. MAM will protect Kalib from foul trouble, he offers a really intimidating weakside blocker if Kalib is guarding a big, a really helpful rebounding presence to help with Kalib’s slenderness, and is sneaky really good moving those feet on the perimeter. Kalib and MAM offer nothing spacing wise though, so let’s give them the hypothetical best shooter on the team, who’s also more smart and technical than he is explosive, the perfect half court player in Thompson. The priority for the last spot should be finding a combination of grit defense and a possible shooter. Keylan’s really really good on the perimeter. He could really help lessen the defensive load on Anderson who can fouls a decent amount and will be tired from ball handling and Thompson who isn’t the same level as on-ball defender, while also offering the first to the floor off-ball guy, a sit in the corner spacer, size to help a skinny front court, and the chemistry that only a twin can offer.

So, who you think would win?

I legitimately think that team 2 could be Boynton’s preferred starting line up by the end of the year with team 1 being a platoon that comes in and just wrecks any run an opponent is on. However, line up 1 might be more ready to start right away and would possibly see more minutes early in the year.

If Coach Mike did organize the team like this, I think they’re are 4 very organic spots for each of the non-mentioned scholarship players, creating a spot (to some extent) for everyone.
Kouma backs up Cisse
Smith backs up MAM
Williams backs up Harris
Newton backs up Keylan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
So I was doing some mental exercises of trying to figure out how our line up would be crafted and I got to the point where I felt like I came up with 2 line ups that could be just about even facing up against each other (with one exception that, I think there’s current a major drop after our 9th guy so there is one player here who doesn’t quite fit like the rest). So I’ll provide a little description on why I think this line up would be particularly cohesive as a unit, and then the prompt is:

Who do you think would win?

I think there’s going to be a big consensus to one side but I’m going to stump a little bit got the other team

Team 1 (Black):
Ice
Bryce Williams
Rondel
Chris Harris (of if you disagree with the analysis below you can plug Smith in here, or even swap Smith and MAM as they do the same thing)
Cisse

Description:
So the genesis of this line up came from when I was thinking about the options we have at the 3 going into this year. Ice is the obvious coach choice, but the fans will want the potential of Thompson. But then I reflected on what my favorite part of this team is, and that’s the on ball pressure. If you were convinced that Rondel could really shoot it, then you could play a 3 guard line up that would absolutely wreak havoc on opposing backcourts, putting pressure for the full 90. 3 guards would also mean a heck of a lot of spacing. The downsize of this of course is the lack of size, so you would need to have a real rim protector to offset that, but it’s a tall ask since he would also have to be extremely athletic because full court pressure is going to mean A LOT of running and lateral movement. Luckily, we just happened to sign a 5 star leviathan who is one of the few ppl in the world who could play that role. Long story short, Ice is a college level Ben Simmons, and to take advantage of that guy you’ve got to surround him with shooters and utilize the defensive pressure he could bring.

I originally imagined that team with Avery running point. But after some thought, I realized that Ice might actually be the perfect fit here. First of all, he may actually be better than Avery in transition. He makes better reads to find the kick, and his inertia from weighing 240 is so difficult to deal with. Plus, this an easier way to handle a true 3 guard line up when you have someone like Ice who can guard 3s. But maybe that isn’t far enough, Ice is shockingly effective down low and he’s a real non-shooter, so maybe we could actually go one spot even lower with him. Ice to the on defense 4 allows another shooter on the court, let’s have us 4 on ball pressure threats feeding off each other and once again we have the defensive anchor to handle the lack of size elsewhere. This the team that wants to run, but offers a combination of shooting and sneaky defense that would be really hard to deal with.

Vs

Team 2 (Orange):
Avery
Bryce Thompson
Keylan
MAM
Kalib

Description: This is the half court team. Ice over Avery in transition may be a controversial take, but let’s not confuse how good Avery is. I think his ability to get to the rim in the half court is a wayyyy more difficult skill, and it’s only possible by his slenderness, speed, and mastery of angles. There’s way less space to work with in the half court, so Avery’s ability to put pressure on the rim is truly special. It’s also important to note that Avery is on a real trajectory of a shooter while Ice is not. He’s not going to be taking step back 3s, but if he sets up an offense and the ball comes back to him we can feel confident about the shot he’ll get up.

He’ll pair with Kalib, who’s post game but lack of movement makes him the ultimate half court threat, and the perfect guy to kick the ball back out and make it easier on outside shooters. MAM will protect Kalib from foul trouble, he offers a really intimidating weakside blocker if Kalib is guarding a big, a really helpful rebounding presence to help with Kalib’s slenderness, and is sneaky really good moving those feet on the perimeter. Kalib and MAM offer nothing spacing wise though, so let’s give them the hypothetical best shooter on the team, who’s also more smart and technical than he is explosive, the perfect half court player in Thompson. The priority for the last spot should be finding a combination of grit defense and a possible shooter. Keylan’s really really good on the perimeter. He could really help lessen the defensive load on Anderson who can fouls a decent amount and will be tired from ball handling and Thompson who isn’t the same level as on-ball defender, while also offering the first to the floor off-ball guy, a sit in the corner spacer, size to help a skinny front court, and the chemistry that only a twin can offer.

So, who you think would win?

I legitimately think that team 2 could be Boynton’s preferred starting line up by the end of the year with team 1 being a platoon that comes in and just wrecks any run an opponent is on. However, line up 1 might be more ready to start right away and would possibly see more minutes early in the year.

If Coach Mike did organize the team like this, I think they’re are 4 very organic spots for each of the non-mentioned scholarship players, creating a spot (to some extent) for everyone.
Kouma backs up Cisse
Smith backs up MAM
Williams backs up Harris
Newton backs up Keylan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There all kind of potential line ups that one could go with right now. I think he's got 5 guards he's going to play 1-3 mostly with Ice playing a little 4 in moments.
Ice, AA, Rondell, Bryce & Bryce
I then think he will have 4-5 forwards looking to play at the 4-5 spots
MAM, Kalib, Cisse, Smith, Keylan/Newton (play some 4 when we play four guards)

Odd men out right now -- Newton/Keylan, D. Williams, C. Harris, Kouma

Obviously, practice can change things and then how guys perform in games will sort this out as well. Newton and Keylan wedge themselves in there if they are shooting the ball well. I'm just don't think D. Williams or Harris will be able to compete with the athleticism of our current backcourt. And Kouma just isn't a big 12 caliber player. The depth is awesome as we can absorb some injuries if need be. My concern is Boynton trying to please everyone instead of picking 8-9 guys to roll with and set the rotation so everyone plays with confidence, knowing what their roles will be.