Basketball: Rosters are getting a bit more clear Big 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
This portal activity is really getting disruptive. Every team is subject to suddenly getting rocked at the whim of a kid deciding the grass will be greener somewhere else. Seems like this is the next level of one and done.

Will make it virtually impossible to maintain any roster continuity and develop kids over a few seasons. You recruit an under-the-radar kid like Yor Anei, develop him for a year or two and then he decides to take his talents to South Beach. Then you jump into the portal and snatch someone else's Yor Anei.

Basically, programs will just have to patch together new rosters each season. Why invest in recruiting kids out of high school at all in that case?

Guess that's just the new normal we have to get used to. Kudos to HCMB for holding this group together and bucking the trend.
Look at how Kansas, Texas, and OSU (to a lesser degree) built their roster for next year. If they have real success, I don't see things changing. I see more movement if there is success. It's full blown free agency every year.

I made this comment in the recruiting thread. We have not brought someone in to really challenge a returning starter, so I think that's helping keep our roster in tact. Boynton's relationships are also helping keeping our roster in tact. Adding Bryce Thompson could have had D. Williams or C. Harris to maybe bounce, but those guys are both returning from injury. Both of them may have put out feelers and realized they may have dropped a level if they hit the portal. Instead, try to rehab and work their way into the rotation.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2006
Look at how Kansas, Texas, and OSU (to a lesser degree) built their roster for next year. If they have real success, I don't see things changing. I see more movement if there is success. It's full blown free agency every year.

I made this comment in the recruiting thread. We have not brought someone in to really challenge a returning starter, so I think that's helping keep our roster in tact. Boynton's relationships are also helping keeping our roster in tact. Adding Bryce Thompson could have had D. Williams or C. Harris to maybe bounce, but those guys are both returning from injury.
Agreed. HCMB is adjusting to the new normal and used the portal well. The relationships he's developed with these players is key though. Otherwise, what's to say we won't wake up tomorrow and learn the Boone brothers have decided to transfer back home to Tulsa for next season or Avery wants to go back to Dallas and play with his boys there now that TCU has a roster spot open.

Maybe I'm getting a little overly dramatic but it seems like sudden decisions like these are happening on a regular basis now. Not sure its good for the game of college basketball. Seems like the NCAA is morphing into some version of the AAU.

On the plus side, it's worked to the benefit of OSU for next season. HCMB has held together his core roster and added some solid transfers to complement it. Now, let's go get Kevin Samuel and seal the deal!

Guess this will be how it goes every year now. The transfer portal will giveth and taketh away.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Agreed. HCMB is adjusting to the new normal and used the portal well. The relationships he's developed with these players is key though. Otherwise, what's to say we won't wake up tomorrow and learn the Boone brothers have decided to transfer back home to Tulsa for next season or Avery wants to go back to Dallas and play with his boys there now that TCU has a roster spot open.

Maybe I'm getting a little overly dramatic but it seems like sudden decisions like these are happening on a regular basis now.

Not sure its good for the game of college basketball. Seems like the NCAA is morphing into some version of the AAU now.
If we tried to take the Samuel kid, no doubt the Boones might bounce then. You just don't know.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
On sports talk radio a week or so back, they were talking about how many transfers were on the rosters of the final four teams this year, and how many were on the past several champions. I don't remember the numbers but it was significant.

Sep 23, 2010
On sports talk radio a week or so back, they were talking about how many transfers were on the rosters of the final four teams this year, and how many were on the past several champions. I don't remember the numbers but it was significant.
That will only increase now without the one year sit out. Before it was graduate transfer or waiver. Now, it's a free for all.

Sep 9, 2013
Taz Sherman is back. WVU picked up 3 transfers, 2 bangers and a true pg who can score well on the drive, something WVU lacked last year.

Oklahoma State will host Xavier in the 2021 Big 12 v Big East challenge.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Taz Sherman is back. WVU picked up 3 transfers, 2 bangers and a true pg who can score well on the drive, something WVU lacked last year.

Oklahoma State will host Xavier in the 2021 Big 12 v Big East challenge.
What do you mean you didn’t have a true PG? McBride was incredible.

Taz coming back is fine, but McBride is the difference maker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013

McBride is expected to be a 1st round pick, so WVU isnt expecting him back.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

McBride is expected to be a 1st round pick, so WVU isnt expecting him back.
Ehh... maybe. I think "expected" is a stretch. Regardless, he stands to make a lot of money.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
WVU added malik Curry, a true pg. If Deuce returns, he'll play 2. Deuce played pg bc WVU didnt have a true pg.
A backcourt of Deuce and Malik will make it difficult on other teams getting the ball down the court. Losing Culver isnt as bad as you think, as WVU will start 5 guys who can all shoot away from the basket. Huggins is returning to the press next season, and culver was never in shape good enough for a full court press.

The 2 bigs Huggins picked up in the portal are long physical guys who can block shots, rebound, run the court, and defend.

Im not sure Mcneil returns. He isnt really a fit for Press Virginia.

2020-21: All-Conference USA Second Team, as well as the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 11 Second Team … Started all 20 contests he appeared in … Led team in scoring with 15.7 points per game … Also led team in assists (71) and steals (37) for the season … Ranked 9th in C-USA for scoring, 6th in field goal percentage (.456), 8th in assists (3.55), 2nd in free throw percentage (.852), 4th in steals (1.85), 13th in assist to turnover ratio (1.18) and 15th for minutes played (32.4 avg).

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
WVU added malik Curry, a true pg. If Deuce returns, he'll play 2. Deuce played pg bc WVU didnt have a true pg.
A backcourt of Deuce and Malik will make it difficult on other teams getting the ball down the court. Losing Culver isnt as bad as you think, as WVU will start 5 guys who can all shoot away from the basket. Huggins is returning to the press next season, and culver was never in shape good enough for a full court press.

The 2 bigs Huggins picked up in the portal are long physical guys who can block shots, rebound, run the court, and defend.

2020-21: All-Conference USA Second Team, as well as the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 11 Second Team … Started all 20 contests he appeared in … Led team in scoring with 15.7 points per game … Also led team in assists (71) and steals (37) for the season … Ranked 9th in C-USA for scoring, 6th in field goal percentage (.456), 8th in assists (3.55), 2nd in free throw percentage (.852), 4th in steals (1.85), 13th in assist to turnover ratio (1.18) and 15th for minutes played (32.4 avg).
You would be nuts to take ball out of Deuce’s hand, he’s a true PG.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Bless your heart. We have a lot of homers here, but definitely take the cake. Deuce was most definitely a point guard. Deuce also isn’t an expected first round pick, he’s a 2nd round guy on every draft board out there. And losing Culver will be a massive blow. And saying McNeil isn’t a good fit for any program is funny.

Appreciate your info though.

Sep 23, 2010

Nothing wrong with having multiple guys who can handle the ball out there. Shooting is always needed so McNeil helps and I have to believe he's back. McBride is still the question mark and losing Culver hurts quite a bit. But you guys have a HOF coach who always makes teams work and become competitive.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
UT got a commitment today from Tre Mitchell, a PF from UMASS. Yet another highly sought after transfer for Beard.

Mitchell averaged 18 points, 7 rebounds , 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks on 52/38/77. Very good addition.

Beard has built a loaded roster.

Devin Askew
Courtney Ramey
Andrew Jones/Jase Febres
Dylan Disu/Timmy Allen
Tre Mitchell/Christian Bishop

They're still not done building. They will likely be preseason top 10.

Jun 14, 2011
UT got a commitment today from Tre Mitchell, a PF from UMASS. Yet another highly sought after transfer for Beard.

Mitchell averaged 18 points, 7 rebounds , 2 assists, 1 steal, and 2 blocks on 52/38/77. Very good addition.

Devin Askew
Courtney Ramey
Andrew Jones/Jase Febres
Dylan Disu/Timmy Allen

I am worried about Beard at Texas. He is a damn good coach and now he has the budget and all the clout of Tehas behind him for recruits.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

Devin Askew
Courtney Ramey
Andrew Jones/Jase Febres
Dylan Disu/Timmy Allen

I am worried about Beard at Texas. He is a damn good coach and now he has the budget and all the clout of Tehas behind him for recruits.
You and me both

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

Devin Askew
Courtney Ramey
Andrew Jones/Jase Febres
Dylan Disu/Timmy Allen

We are gonna kick their ass!! Ok they will be pretty good true but so will we. Boom!

Dec 21, 2008
They’ve always been good with elite talent. The thing that sets Beard apart is he can coach elitists. But that’s what makes it fun as a fan is watching us battle against top teams

Sep 23, 2010
Beard can really coach. There is no reasonable opinion disputing that.

But how will he do we big ego players? It didn't work out with his McDonald's All-American last year who transferred out at semester I believe or midseason at the least. When you start getting the cream of the crop players, there are a lot of competing voices in those kids ears that could careless about the team's success. That transition for Beard will be interesting. He seems super smart and an extremely hard worker, so he seems to be very capable of figuring it out. But it's one thing he has yet to prove.