Basketball: Rosters are getting a bit more clear Big 12

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Now that we are seeing rosters come together a bit more. What are we thinking we finish?

Tier 1 -- Kansas
They are putting together a roster of some pretty impressive transfers and returners

Tier 2 -- Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma State, West Virginia
National Champ respect, Beard respect and Huggins respect, and OSU returning almost their entire roster with some nice transfers

Tier 3 -- Oklahoma, Texas Tech, TCU, Kansas State
Lots of question marks with Tech and OU. TCU can't seem to get out of this spot. K State was playing good ball by the end of the year and I seem them building on that.

Tier 4 -- Iowa State
New coach has lots of work to do.

Mar 27, 2008
Kansas
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas

West Virginia
TCU
goons
Texas Tech

Kansas State
Iowa State

Edit: This was harder to do than I originally thought for next season because there has been so many transfers. A lot of rosters are complete overhauls from last year so who knows how it will go. Road wins will be tough with gyms back to full capacity. It should be a fun season with fans back and with us returning so many starters. All of our games are a must see of course. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to when Texas plays Tech in Lubbock this year. Some bad blood there and it should be fun to watch.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
Kansas
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas

West Virginia
TCU
goons
Texas Tech

Kansas State
Iowa State
I am with this thought process. WVU really comes down to their guards coming back or staying in the draft. I do feel like Kansas is a notch ahead of everyone when you take in what they return and what they bring in. They need Jalen Wilson to come back as well.

For Baylor, I'm assuming Mayer is back for them and they have some strong players coming in as well. Will be exciting if we can get in the mix for shot at conference title. We need Thompson to become an all-league type guy for that to happen I think.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Tier 1) Kansas

Self has another loaded roster. They have a ton of balance and really no glaring weaknesses. IMO, they're the clear frontrunners yet again.

David McCormack is one of the best returning bigs in the country. He averaged 14/6/1/1 on 54% from the field in conference play last season, and that was after some early season struggles. He was fantastic to close the season. He's a beast.

I believe Ochai Agbaji still has his name in the draft, but I expect he'll return for another year.

Pair those two with Remy Martin (All Pac-12 guard), Joseph Yesufu (potentially one of the best 6th men in the country next season), and Sydney Curry (an absolute tank of a PF) and you've got a hell of a roster. Oh... and they also have Christian Braun, Jalen Coleman-Lands, and Jalen Wilson. KU is gonna be very good again.

Tier 2) Baylor, Texas

Baylor lost a lot from the championship squad. But they still have Matthew Mayers, Adam Flagler, and Jonathan Tchamwa-Tchatchoua to go along with a talented incoming group.

James Akinjo will go a long way in replacing Jared Butler's production. My question is how does Flagler respond to an increased role?

---

Texas, like KU, had a ton of success with the transfer portal. Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop, and Timmy Allen might be the best frontcourt in the conference and they still have Andrew Jones, Matt Coleman, and Courtney Ramey with Devin Askew now coming off the bench.

Beard's resume speaks for itself. He should get a lot out of this roster.

Tier 3) Oklahoma State

Although the roster is deep and talented, there's still a lot question marks. Pretty high ceiling, decently high floor kind of roster. Big year for Boynton to maintain positive momentum for the program.

Tier 4) West Virginia, Texas Tech, TCU

WVU already lost Derek Culver and could lose a lot more with Miles McBride, Sean McNeil, and Taz Sherman entering the draft. I expect, though, at least 2 of those guys will be back and probably all 3. With Huggins, they should be fine.

---

Tech lost a bunch but has some intriguing transfers coming in. Namely, Sadaar Calhoun and KJ Allen. Mid-level team.

---

TCU is intriguing. Mike Miles and Kevin Samuel are back. That's a really nice PnR pairing and both guys can get buckets.

And they added Emmanuel Miller - averaged 16 & 8 for A&M last season and should be a very nice frontcourt companion for Samuel - as well as Micah Peavy and Shahada Wells.

I think Jamie Dixon's team will surprise some people.

Tier 5) Oklahoma, Kansas State

Porter Moser's first season on the job and he has his work cut out for him. No more Austin Reaves, Brady Manek, or De'Vion Harmon in Norman. That's their 3 best guys gone. Umoja Gibson and Elijah Harkless are nice pieces but they're role players.

The Groves brothers are a good addition but I don't think it gets them out of the bottom portion of the conference

---

KSU improved a lot as the season went on but not enough to make any real noise. Mike McGuirl is a quality guard and they have some promising young guys but I predict another mediocre season for Bruce Webber.

Tier 6) Iowa State

Total rebuild for TJ Otzelberger. Tyrese Hunter is a nice piece to start with though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Kansas
Baylor
Oklahoma State
Texas

West Virginia
TCU
goons
Texas Tech

Kansas State
Iowa State

Edit: This was harder to do than I originally thought for next season because there has been so many transfers. A lot of rosters are complete overhauls from last year so who knows how it will go. Road wins will be tough with gyms back to full capacity. It should be a fun season with fans back and with us returning so many starters. All of our games are a must see of course. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to when Texas plays Tech in Lubbock this year. Some bad blood there and it should be fun to watch.
I'm more looking forward to Techs first game in Austin to see if they really do pack the arena with Tech fans.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Does UT have a problem with other teams' fans taking over their arena?

After Beard left, Kirby Hocutt, The Texas Tech AD, said,
"There's no doubt in my mind that when we go down to Austin that Red Raider nation will occupy the majority of their arena just like we have done in the past."

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Does UT have a problem with other teams' fans taking over their arena?

After Beard left, Kirby Hocutt, The Texas Tech AD, said,
"There's no doubt in my mind that when we go down to Austin that Red Raider nation will occupy the majority of their arena just like we have done in the past."
Nice. Should make for an awesome rivalry moving forward.

Sep 23, 2010
Tier 1) Kansas

Self has another loaded roster. They have a ton of balance and really no glaring weaknesses. IMO, they're the clear frontrunners yet again.

David McCormack is one of the best returning bigs in the country. He averaged 14/6/1/1 on 54% from the field in conference play last season, and that was after some early season struggles. He was fantastic to close the season. He's a beast.

I believe Ochai Agbaji still has his name in the draft, but I expect he'll return for another year.

Pair those two with Remy Martin (All Pac-12 guard), Joseph Yesufu (potentially one of the best 6th men in the country next season), and Sydney Curry (an absolute tank of a PF) and you've got a hell of a roster. Oh... and they also have Christian Braun, Jalen Coleman-Lands, and Jalen Wilson. KU is gonna be very good again.

Tier 2) Baylor, Texas

Baylor lost a lot from the championship squad. But they still have Matthew Mayers, Adam Flagler, and Jonathan Tchamwa-Tchatchoua to go along with a talented incoming group.

James Akinjo will go a long way in replacing Jared Butler's production. My question is how does Flagler respond to an increased role?

---

Texas, like KU, had a ton of success with the transfer portal. Dylan Disu, Christian Bishop, and Timmy Allen might be the best frontcourt in the conference and they still have Andrew Jones, Matt Coleman, and Courtney Ramey with Devin Askew now coming off the bench.

Beard's resume speaks for itself. He should get a lot out of this roster.

Tier 3) Oklahoma State

Although the roster is deep and talented, there's still a lot question marks. Pretty high ceiling, decently high floor kind of roster. Big year for Boynton to maintain positive momentum for the program.

Tier 4) West Virginia, Texas Tech, TCU

WVU already lost Derek Culver and could lose a lot more with Miles McBride, Sean McNeil, and Taz Sherman entering the draft. I expect, though, at least 2 of those guys will be back and probably all 3. With Huggins, they should be fine.

---

Tech lost a bunch but has some intriguing transfers coming in. Namely, Sadaar Calhoun and KJ Allen. Mid-level team.

---

TCU is intriguing. Mike Miles and Kevin Samuel are back. That's a really nice PnR pairing and both guys can get buckets.

And they added Emmanuel Miller - averaged 16 & 8 for A&M last season and should be a very nice frontcourt companion for Samuel - as well as Micah Peavy and Shahada Wells.

I think Jamie Dixon's team will surprise some people.

Tier 5) Oklahoma, Kansas State

Porter Moser's first season on the job and he has his work cut out for him. No more Austin Reaves, Brady Manek, or De'Vion Harmon in Norman. That's their 3 best guys gone. Umoja Gibson and Elijah Harkless are nice pieces but they're role players.

The Groves brothers are a good addition but I don't think it gets them out of the bottom portion of the conference

---

KSU improved a lot as the season went on but not enough to make any real noise. Mike McGuirl is a quality guard and they have some promising young guys but I predict another mediocre season for Bruce Webber.

Tier 6) Iowa State

Total rebuild for TJ Otzelberger. Tyrese Hunter is a nice piece to start with though.

I can't put Texas ahead of us at the moment. They landed some nice transfers but have work to do to build some depth. Beard is great and that is why I had us in the same tier as them.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think KU is only in a tier on their own if they get Agbaji back. I think he was quietly their best player last year and is key to not only their spacing, but their defensive identity (losing Garrett‘s a big blow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
I think KU is only in a tier on their own if they get Agbaji back. I think he was quietly their best player last year and is key to not only their spacing, but their defensive identity (losing Garrett‘s a big blow).

I can see this if their transfers don't hit. But the Drake guard was really good in the tournament. And the Arizona State guard can really, really score. Agbaji is a nice player and it will hurt them if he doesn't come back. I think they need Jalen Wilson to come back as well. They have some top 100 type freshmen coming in but who knows if any of them will have impact or not.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

I can see this if their transfers don't hit. But the Drake guard was really good in the tournament. And the Arizona State guard can really, really score. Agbaji is a nice player and it will hurt them if he doesn't come back. I think they need Jalen Wilson to come back as well. They have some top 100 type freshmen coming in but who knows if any of them will have impact or not.
I kind of question the stylistic fit of Remy on KU, while they definitely needed a lead ball handler, by all accounts he’s a bit of chucker, loves his high volume. When you’ll be starting 3 guards (Drake transfer and Braun) and you have offensive minded big and post player, it would be more beneficial to have a distributor (like Wheeler) be the lead handler. Plus, I’ll be real curious about their defense. They could be bad on that end... I imagine to deal with that they’ll probably want to go back to Self’s roots and slow it wayyy down.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Also, if West Virginia doesn’t get McBride back, I don’t see how they finish in the top half. McBride could legitimately be PoY if he comes back, but w/o him, I’ll take the under on their win total. 2 man team and neither of the 2 are back. But they’re main 2019 recruiting effort with Oscar is gone, their big 2020 recruit averaged 5 minutes a game... it could be real bad.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I also totally agree with cowboyfan, I think the big riser in this conference is TCU. Good guard play is the key winning in college hoops, Mike Miles will be a contender for conference PoY, the Micah Peavy transfer is incredibly intriguing, we saw the front court talent they had, and I honestly think Dixon is the forgotten about beast of a coach. I honestly think they could be a top team in the conference.

Sep 23, 2010
I kind of question the stylistic fit of Remy on KU, while they definitely needed a lead ball handler, by all accounts he’s a bit of chucker, loves his high volume. When you’ll be starting 3 guards (Drake transfer and Braun) and you have offensive minded big and post player, it would be more beneficial to have a distributor (like Wheeler) be the lead handler. Plus, I’ll be real curious about their defense. They could be bad on that end... I imagine to deal with that they’ll probably want to go back to Self’s roots and slow it wayyy down.

If Remy is not "the guy", then yes I think the fit starts to not make sense. But they needed a bucket getter and he could be theirs. Self usually has one or two with a longer leash.

No doubt WVU has to get their guards back to be contenders. I've heard the TCU song sang before....maybe this is actually the year Dixon gets them to tourney level team.

Sep 23, 2010
I also totally agree with cowboyfan, I think the big riser in this conference is TCU. Good guard play is the key winning in college hoops, Mike Miles will be a contender for conference PoY, the Micah Peavy transfer is incredibly intriguing, we saw the front court talent they had, and I honestly think Dixon is the forgotten about beast of a coach. I honestly think they could be a top team in the conference.

TCU lost Samuel to the portal. I'm not convinced they make a big move up in the standings.

Aug 19, 2006
TCU lost Samuel to the portal. I'm not convinced they make a big move up in the standings.
This portal activity is really getting disruptive. Every team is subject to suddenly getting rocked at the whim of a kid deciding the grass will be greener somewhere else. Seems like this is the next level of one and done.

Will make it virtually impossible to maintain any roster continuity and develop kids over a few seasons. You recruit an under-the-radar kid like Yor Anei, develop him for a year or two and then he decides to take his talents to South Beach. Then you jump into the portal and snatch someone else's Yor Anei.

Basically, programs will just have to patch together new rosters each season. Why invest in recruiting kids out of high school in that case? Just cherry pick the portal each year.

Guess that's just the new normal we have to get used to. Kudos to HCMB for holding this group together and bucking the trend.

Last edited: