Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
@coloradocowboy I don't think Oliver has anything to do with it anymore. HCMB handling the presser last year the way he did is the issue and it's certainly personal for them.

Maybe it wasn't the best thing in the world for our coach to go on national media and shit all over them as an organization. I get why he did it, didn't agree with the way he did it, but I get it. If anyone thinks we're ever going to get positives interactions with the NCAA now they're delusional. At the end of the day, you don't embarrass or call out red tape bureaucracy. They have all the power and answer to no one.

Tie this directly to them dragging their feet on the Deondre Jackson situation too.

Nov 6, 2010
@coloradocowboy I don't think Oliver has anything to do with it anymore. HCMB handling the presser last year the way he did is the issue and it's certainly personal for them.

Maybe it wasn't the best thing in the world for our coach to go on national media and shit all over them as an organization. I get why he did it, didn't agree with the way he did it, but I get it. If anyone thinks we're ever going to get positives interactions with the NCAA now they're delusional. At the end of the day, you don't embarrass or call out red tape bureaucracy. They have all the power and answer to no one.

Tie this directly to them dragging their feet on the Deondre Jackson situation too.
I don't know man, that seems pretty extreme. No doubt we didn't do ourselves any favors with that press conference, and I don't doubt as long as humans are involved there will be decisions made based on animosity sometimes. But this really doesn't hurt OSU a fraction as much as it does the young man. They didn't really rule against OSU, they ruled against him, said he is done. I could maybe buy it if he were some NBA level talent with tons of other options, but that's not the case. He was a fringe player that finally had a last shot at playing at the high college level, and they said no. That would take some extreme mean-spirtedness to base a decision like that on animosity towards OSU.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Just read where R. Harrison has been declared ineligible, lost a waiver appeal for an extra year. I guess those wanting to see Boynton go with a shorter bench are going to get their wish this fall.
Could you please provide a link to this news? Just wanted to read the fine print, details, etc. thanks.

Nevermind, simple google search found it.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
This surprised me, but I didn't know Harrison's background. Apparently this would've been his seventh year since graduating high school.

View attachment 97265
Well don't throw tomatoes at me but... I don't really see the NCAA being in the wrong here. The rulebook is pretty straight forward on this. I feel bad for Harrison, but it checks out that he would not be eligible. I'm surprised our staff thought they would get an exemption.

One bright spot is that 2 of our 3 scholarships we have to give up due to our sanctions will now be let loose. Only one more to go and we can move passed that mess for good.

Jan 5, 2011
Just read where R. Harrison has been declared ineligible, lost a waiver appeal for an extra year. I guess those wanting to see Boynton go with a shorter bench are going to get their wish this fall.

Players with starting experience at OSU:

Avery
B Thompson
Kalib
Tyreek
Cisse

Transfers that have a shot at good minutes
JMW
Caleb asperry

Returners that got some minutes and have potential
Woody Newton

Incoming freshman
Quion Williams

Entering year 4 and has had 3 years of injuries
Chris Harris

Back up post for foul trouble
Big Bernie

Did I miss anyone? That’s 11. You’ve got 5 guys that can for sure be in the rotation (2 guards, 3 forwards/posts) and hopefully both of the portal guards can go, that’s 7. In a perfect world we can get woody out there for some stretch 4, he can stroke but can he play d? That would be 8. Chris Harris and Quion are wild cards.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Players with starting experience at OSU:

Avery
B Thompson
Kalib
Tyreek
Cisse

Transfers that have a shot at good minutes
JMW
Caleb asperry

Returners that got some minutes and have potential
Woody Newton

Incoming freshman
Quion Williams

Entering year 4 and has had 3 years of injuries
Chris Harris

Back up post for foul trouble
Big Bernie

Did I miss anyone? That’s 11. You’ve got 5 guys that can for sure be in the rotation (2 guards, 3 forwards/posts) and hopefully both of the portal guards can go, that’s 7. In a perfect world we can get woody out there for some stretch 4, he can stroke but can he play d? That would be 8. Chris Harris and Quion are wild cards.
We also got a pretty good walk on, Naz Brown, from the Dallas area. Better than the average walk-on for sure and could play in a pinch if needed. He was a high school teammate of Anthony Brown and Ron Holland, so he’s played with high level guys and has won a lot of games. https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2022/nazir-brown-255814

Nov 6, 2010
Why would our staff take this chance without getting some clarification from
NCAA first? We were already thin
My guess is they weren't that impressed with the quality of available players they could get, and with an experienced core that we'll probably lose most of, chose to focus on 2023 kids and were fine with this happening to get one more of those scholly limits out of the way this year.

Jan 5, 2011
We just landed Justin Mcbride! Coach Boynton has definitely changed his recruiting and instead of just getting a roster full of athletes, he’s adding shooters and basketball players. Great get, 4 commits now I believe and ranked the #11 class nationally.

https://twitter.com/247hshoops/status/1572708693074116608?s=46&t=Jb06pueFOeQlHP6_MSjkjQ

Last edited: