Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Over the weekend, K State got a pretty good commitment from the kid from Florida out of the portal. Keyonte Johnson, who was preseason player of the year in SEC a couple years ago. He was the kid who passed out on the floor though and hasn't played in two years. West Virginia seems like the only program that has backwards momentum currently in the league.

For the record, I would call our momentum fairly neutral, hopefully moving forward from last year's team playing a bit below expectations. I would not say we are moving backwards though considering our roster is full of upperclassmen who have produced at some d1 levels in the past.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2011
Over the weekend, K State got a pretty good commitment from the kid from Florida out of the portal. Keyonte Johnson, who was preseason player of the year in SEC a couple years ago. He was the kid who passed out on the floor though and hasn't played in two years. West Virginia seems like the only program that has backwards momentum currently in the league.

For the record, I would call our momentum fairly neutral, hopefully moving forward from last year's team playing a bit below expectations. I would not say we are moving backwards though considering our roster is full of upperclassmen who have produced at some d1 levels in the past.
Solid take. We have a lot of veteran pieces this upcoming season, and a solid chance to put something together. This seems like the “do or die” season, with so many seniors on the roster. Even with a solid class getting put together for the following year, it will definitely be a roster rebuild in 2023. Gotta make something of this season.

A team with all of the momentum in the world is TCU, who we finished with the same conference record as. Hate to be that guy (and sound like Nebraska football) but we were 3 end of game collapses away from being 11-7 in conference. If we can figure out how to be better in crunch time this season, we can have legitimate success!

Sep 29, 2006
Solid take. We have a lot of veteran pieces this upcoming season, and a solid chance to put something together. This seems like the “do or die” season, with so many seniors on the roster. Even with a solid class getting put together for the following year, it will definitely be a roster rebuild in 2023. Gotta make something of this season.

A team with all of the momentum in the world is TCU, who we finished with the same conference record as. Hate to be that guy (and sound like Nebraska football) but we were 3 end of game collapses away from being 11-7 in conference. If we can figure out how to be better in crunch time this season, we can have legitimate success!
So I said before last season started we would only go as far as our PG play would take us. AA is not even close to a PG, he’s a two guard and Ice is a small forward. We had bad PG play and that’s what cost you late game collapses. I am hoping we are must better there this year.

Aug 19, 2006
A little off topic here but does anyone know what's happened with Parker Friedrichsen since bailed on us? The kid seemed like a great pickup when he committed to OSU. Doesn't look like he's committed anywhere else yet. Just curious if it's possible he comes back around or something broke down there.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
A little off topic here but does anyone know what's happened with Parker Friedrichsen since bailed on us? The kid seemed like a great pickup when he committed to OSU. Doesn't look like he's committed anywhere else yet. Just curious if it's possible he comes back around or something broke down there.
He now has one of the most random top 5's of all time:

https://twitter.com/5parker5/status/1557879694095273987?s=20&t=RdPSJ0nIgKwLZ-svpUCHjA

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
We moved on when he decomitted.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2011
It was definitely a random list. Really big offer list, 29 offers including all of the in state schools (ou, osu, Tulsa, oru) , Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, creighton, Memphis, Missouri, cincinatti.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

The only thing I’d push back on is that it’s tough to know if a season is do or die when there’s remaining eligibility. I’m not saying it’s likely, but Avery, Bryce, Cisse and Kalib can all come back and play for us in 2023-24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010

If this year fails, we will definitely be feeling like a program going backwards which is not what you want when our height was round of 32. If we have an NCAA 2nd round or 2nd weekend team, then you can deal with the potential for a rebuild year (but still be above .500 overall). As another already posted, Thompson and Cisse will be a big factor in if we have to go full rebuild mode. I felt good about Boynton and OSU being a strong portal program at first because he's really good at relationships, but then NIL reared it's ugly head making it more difficult for us to hit on some of the top transfers.

Jan 5, 2011

I hadn’t heard of him or his recruitment. Can’t find a whole lot of videos, but we will need wings in the future. Looks like recruiting is still in full swing. Keanu Dawes will visit in late October and Justin Mcbride is visiting next week.

Dennis Parker also has offers from Kansas and Illinois.

7FC8C5FA-10B6-4D51-902A-2328F4442694.png

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2011
No idea if we really have a shot at Hardway, but by my calculations we have about 3 guards that will be visiting/we are on the final list and 2 forwards. This weekend Justin Mcbride and Dennis Parker will be taking their official visits to OSU. If we can land 2 of these 5 I would say it would end up being a hell of a class. All 5 of these players are highly sought after, let’s see if Boynton can close some deals!

-Dennis Parker 4 star - 2 way guard- visiting this weekend

-Hardaway - 4 star guard - visiting later this month

Kaeden Cooper - 4 star guard - we are on his final list

-Keanu Dawes- 4 star forward- athletic- we are on final list - Visiting in october

-Justin Mcbride- 3/4 star forward - stretch 4, nice quick hook shot - we are on his final list - He is visiting this weekend.

https://twitter.com/247hshoops/status/1565059653448466437?s=21&t=mH6tXVAaH_GnmsY-z86BfA

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Why are we bringing them in on a weekend without a football game and a 3 day weekend when most of the students will be gone? Doesn’t sound like very good planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They start their visit tomorrow, September 1st
Ok. That makes more sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oct 30, 2007
Not sure how you don't put Sampson on the top of the list. What he's done at Houston is amazing. Any coach with sustained success at a non-blue blood should get a tremendous bump, but I get that's not the way it works.
Agree on Sampson, since this is the top cheaters in college basketball list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk