Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
Asberry does look more athletic and has some length for his height. At least that's what it appears when just seeing the highlights. None of our transfers seemed like great 2pt finishers despite good 3pt percentages. Wright was like 41%, Asberry 43%, and Harrison 45% were there overall FG %. But we might not ask them to give us hard 2's. Hard 2's should be AA, Bryce, and Kalib. Those are our guys who can get 1on1 baskets facing a shot clock or tough situation.
This is important. As has been beaten to death, hard 2s were our diet last yr. How many times did we find ourselves in such difficult scoring positions only to see the other team convert what seemed like easy buckets (I know our defense was good). It just seems like it was so damn hard for us at times.

Spacing, passing and better/more timely decisions w the ball w help. Most of those problems are no longer w us.

Has anyone seen/heard if the new guys will help w that?

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Write up on Jamyron Keller from 24/7 on 8/1:

A 6-foot-1 elite athlete out of Killeen (Texas) Ellison High, Keller can thrive in any system because he plays a positionless brand of basketball. He has the size of a guard, the build of an elite running back prospect, and the athleticism that translates at any level of Division I basketball. The best part about his game is how he combines his high motor with his elite athleticism. Both equate to production on both ends. Whether it is guarding an opposing four-man, grabbing a rebound, or finishing a play, Keller can be relied upon to make something positive happen in almost all areas of the game. His jumper and nuances of running an offense are where he needs to make the most improvement but his toughness qualities and ability to make plays that others cannot at his size is where his value lies.
He has a Running Back build!!! RB's score, Linebackers don't... Sorry low-hanging fruit.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Question…
OSU Basketball Twitter put out a Pokes in the NBA for our history. Buncha names ivr never heard of from the 40-60s then you have your Big Country, Desmond Mason, Tony Allen, Marcus Smart, John Starks and a few others. One thing I noticed was 2005 had 4 guys go pro. That was right after the 2004 Final Four. So if you look at our last 40yrs have we ever really been a “basketball school” or been above avg as a program? Or were we just blessed that Eddie got Tony Allen, John Lucas and the Graham twins and McFarlin off transfers and they turned into pro players? Looking at the last 40 yrs besides 2 final four runs imo it doesn’t feel like OSU basketball has been much, which hurts me to type this, just curious….?
Tony Allen arrived from JUCO after using up his eligibility (he couldn't stay) and Ivan McFarlin was a 4 year player at OSU straight out of High School. I wouldn't consider these guys transfers.

Eddie definitely had a way with bringing in transfers, it is a long list. In addition to your list: Bobik, Doug Gottlieb, Brooks Thompson, Glendon Alexander, Brett Robisch, Scott Pierce, Jerome Lambert, Mario Boggan, and Victor Williams. I think he always had a starter that came from another D1 school.

He did a good job with JUCO's but for some reason, he didn't have great High School classes (the one that got away - Gerald Green). Some say it was because he didn't do a lot of travelling when it came to recruiting and that held his classes back.

For 15 to 20 years there was a lot of success in basketball, it doesn't require a Final Four for it to be a successful season. OSU also has basketball history/tradition on it's side. It would only take a couple of Sweet 16's to be back in the everyday conversation when it comes to NCAA Basketball.

Sep 23, 2010
Tony Allen arrived from JUCO after using up his eligibility (he couldn't stay) and Ivan McFarlin was a 4 year player at OSU straight out of High School. I wouldn't consider these guys transfers.

Eddie definitely had a way with bringing in transfers, it is a long list. In addition to your list: Bobik, Doug Gottlieb, Brooks Thompson, Glendon Alexander, Brett Robisch, Scott Pierce, Jerome Lambert, Mario Boggan, and Victor Williams. I think he always had a starter that came from another D1 school.

He did a good job with JUCO's but for some reason, he didn't have great High School classes (the one that got away - Gerald Green). Some say it was because he didn't do a lot of travelling when it came to recruiting and that held his classes back.

For 15 to 20 years there was a lot of success in basketball, it doesn't require a Final Four for it to be a successful season. OSU also has basketball history/tradition on it's side. It would only take a couple of Sweet 16's to be back in the everyday conversation when it comes to NCAA Basketball.
Some of our better players that were recruited out of HS off the top of my head in Coach Sutton era.

James Anderson, Terrell Harris, Obi, Byron Eaton, IMac, Fredrik Jonzen, Big Country, Byron Houston but Coach Sutton didn't recruit him, Adrian Peterson, Joe Adkins

Aug 19, 2006
Not sure but this list is very odd. It has Porter Moser, TJ from Iowa State and Adams from Tech ahead of Bob Huggins and Jim Boheim. I'm guessing he was 9th on this list ahead of Tang who hasn't coached yet. He had Porter Moser at 17 which is ridiculous.
This list almost seems arbitrary. Just a 100 names that were listed in the order they were pulled out of a hat.

Mar 27, 2008
Not sure but this list is very odd. It has Porter Moser, TJ from Iowa State and Adams from Tech ahead of Bob Huggins and Jim Boheim. I'm guessing he was 9th on this list ahead of Tang who hasn't coached yet. He had Porter Moser at 17 which is ridiculous.
Porter Moser has been to the Final Four.

Dec 21, 2008
We need some more basketball news. Been a long time since the season ended and kinda dead marketing wise besides buy season tickets. Haven’t seen Cisse or BT or Avery in any promotional or back to school posts. Only the welcoming elementary school kids backs which is cool!

Sep 23, 2010
Porter Moser has been to the Final Four.
Moser has been to a Final 4. He also got fired at Illinois State. And he was about to get fired at Loyola until Loyola changed leagues. He did a great job his last 5 years there. But to put him ahead of Huggins and Boheim, or in the top 20 in general, is a little ridiculous for having a great 5 year run. He didn't scorch the big 12 last year and he's not expected to have a great year this season. Porter seems to have find his footing a bit more. We will see if he can break through at OU before I put him in the top 20 of anything.

Jan 5, 2011
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2011
Just realized Justin McBride; who just put us in his top 6, was aau teammates with Jamyron Keller, our commit from last week. He also was on the list of the most efficient scorers in the eybl alongside commits Jamyron and Brandon Garrison. Check out his film, he has a nice touch around the rim and a hook shot, and can stroke it from deep!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2008
Just realized Justin McBride; who just put us in his top 6, was aau teammates with Jamyron Keller, our commit from last week. They also won peach jam. He also was in the list of the most efficient scorers in the eybl alongside commits Jamyron and Brandon Garrison. Check out his film, he has a nice touch around the rim and a hook shot, and can stroke it from deep!

Nice highlight. The amount of Division I coaches sitting courtside in that video is pretty impressive. Ones I recognize from the Big12 are Coach Boynton and Coach Cason, Jamie Dixon, Chris Beard, Porter Moser.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I read/watched a bit on those recruits posted. Both of those forward prospects can really shoot it. If we came out with the 2 current commits and 2 tall forwards who can really shoot it, I think that would indicate a lot of positive growth from Boynton on prioritizing shooting, and still getting high quality recruit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk