Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 9, 2013
Agreed. You can question a lot of things about Couch B but recruiting isn’t one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I know it seems like I’m talking out of both ends (which I do a lot) but I do question his recruiting. Maybe it’s semantics but I’m saying recruiting is not just about getting kids to campus bc he can. It’s about getting the right kids w the right basketball skill sets molding them together and then keeping them. So far he is not doing that very well

Aug 7, 2006
Depends on how you want to define recruiting. As far as getting talented kids to campus, he's pretty good at that. As far as roster building goes, that hasn't been great so far... I think he has remedied that a bit this year and there will be clearly defined roles for everyone.

Sep 23, 2010
MB has upgraded the roster from a talent standpoint from when he arrived. The main criticism in terms of recruiting is roster management/construction. Last year, he had 14 scholarship guys and it felt like he felt like he had an obligation to play them all minus Harris. Either that or Boynton had grand ideas of playing 13 players?

The other criticism on recruiting could be was that he was more focused on getting long and athletic, and didn't put enough focus on fit and skillsets.

Both these criticism could be a hybrid of both coaching and recruiting.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
There was a comment that we have a “shade” less talent than UNC last year. I’d say it’s at least 10-12 “shades”. I’m not sure how anyone can come to the assumption we are even close. We have a few solid b and c options. Avery and Bryce are about the same consistency wise. Maybe the transfer comes in and is the guy to push us forward. Cisse is great defensively. Im just not sure MB knows how to develop a team. He’s great with the players and he’s extremely inspiring. However, it’s smarter to play for a coach that might be a little crankier but will get you some Ws

That’s said. It’s too early to fire him. He needs to be given some time to sink or swim. He doesn’t have any head coaching experience and hopefully he gets better and better. If he doesn’t, hopefully we learn that we need to poke around smaller schools and get guys with head coaching experience.
He’s got over 5 years of HC experience. He’s been given those 5 years to sink or swim. He’s done quite the mixture of both. If he can’t get us the dance this next year then he needs to go. But that won’t happen because of the contract extension…

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I have been very surprised at how Coach B has had difficulty attracting any big talent that really pans out except Cade. I think he has been surprised at how difficult it has been to recruit to OSU and I feel like he may start listening to other schools in the future if they call.
For me it’s not that he has had trouble getting kids to Stillwater. It’s that he has done a poor job of evaluating basketball skill sets, basketball savvy and being able to make the pieces fit into a tr capable of competing for championships.

He got a kid from Toronto to Stillwater. He gets metroplex kids to Stillwater. He gets OK kids to Stillwater. He gets kids ready to quit the game to Stillwater. Some of them are off the charts athletically talented.

Recruiting is not about getting kids to campus. It’s about getting the right kids w the right skills to campus and then developing them and retaining them. To me that’s where he fails as a recruiter.
I mean, let’s be clear on this.

We’ve only had 2 years of a truly Boynton core, right? Lindy, Dizzy, Cam all the 2016 class, aka, Underwood were the majority of the starting line up for 2 years. Im not saying all those years didn’t count, but the question with those team was always, could we find athleticism and depth to line up with the shooting? And I think Boynton really hit the ground hard to answer those questions. He wanted A LOT of guys, cuz he never wanted to be in a position of having to do open try outs again, and he wanted athletes.

In one of those years, he gave us the most successful year we’ve had since 2005. In the other we were banned from the tourney, but had a bubble-ish season.

So, I think you’re right on the money that the problem is in how the roster is set up, but I disagree with the tone that’s coming across (and that is me reading between the lines, so if I’m misrepresenting you, that’s my bad) that you think this is a really heavy problem with Coach Mike that cannot be overcome. This is just a simple adjustment… “focus more on spacing”. If last year’s roster shot 34% from 3 instead of 29.5% The delta in the amount of total points scored would have been a lot more than just those 3s made, all of a sudden driving to the paint would have been a lot easier.

I think an important moment for Boynton was the adjustment he made in 2019-2020. The team started out crazy hot, Ice had mono, and then the team couldn’t refind the form. Well the key adjustment Boynton made was benching Dizzy, and starting Johnathan Laurent as a 2nd big wing with Cam. We lost spacing, but we gained so much on defense and weirdly in ball movement, that it really helped the team and we 8 of our last 11 games.

I can’t help but think about how that learning experience effected Boynton’s thinking, because he had a team that was too finesse and shooting based and athleticism rescued that team. He may have over corrected on prioritizing athletes over skilled “craft” guys in the Cade class. But I think we’ll continue to see the results from this lesson in the future, as he continues to make sure he think about spacers and playmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
If we find shooters and develop confidence and consistency we prob win 8 more games last year
Three huge IFS in there…..I hope you’re right. At the end of the day all of that could happen. What does coach do on the off nights. He hasn’t proven anything in that category in 5 years. As Mike Tyson said “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.”

We’re just not very tough. Mentally or physically. I think that comes from the top down. Again, dying to be wrong.

Dec 9, 2013
I mean, let’s be clear on this.

We’ve only had 2 years of a truly Boynton core, right? Lindy, Dizzy, Cam all the 2016 class, aka, Underwood were the majority of the starting line up for 2 years. Im not saying all those years didn’t count, but the question with those team was always, could we find athleticism and depth to line up with the shooting? And I think Boynton really hit the ground hard to answer those questions. He wanted A LOT of guys, cuz he never wanted to be in a position of having to do open try outs again, and he wanted athletes.

In one of those years, he gave us the most successful year we’ve had since 2005. In the other we were banned from the tourney, but had a bubble-ish season.

So, I think you’re right on the money that the problem is in how the roster is set up, but I disagree with the tone that’s coming across (and that is me reading between the lines, so if I’m misrepresenting you, that’s my bad) that you think this is a really heavy problem with Coach Mike that cannot be overcome. This is just a simple adjustment… “focus more on spacing”. If last year’s roster shot 34% from 3 instead of 29.5% The delta in the amount of total points scored would have been a lot more than just those 3s made, all of a sudden driving to the paint would have been a lot easier.

I think an important moment for Boynton was the adjustment he made in 2019-2020. The team started out crazy hot, Ice had mono, and then the team couldn’t refind the form. Well the key adjustment Boynton made was benching Dizzy, and starting Johnathan Laurent as a 2nd big wing with Cam. We lost spacing, but we gained so much on defense and weirdly in ball movement, that it really helped the team and we 8 of our last 11 games.

I can’t help but think about how that learning experience effected Boynton’s thinking, because he had a team that was too finesse and shooting based and athleticism rescued that team. He may have over corrected on prioritizing athletes over skilled “craft” guys in the Cade class. But I think we’ll continue to see the results from this lesson in the future, as he continues to make sure he think about spacers and playmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we probably are seeing the same things and most definitely want the same thing. Winning basketball w Coach Mike leading the way. You are more optimistic while I’m more pessimistic, so you definitely picked up on that.

What the facts say are he did sign a generational talent. He has also had 2 back to back really bad high school classes and currently has 0 2023 kids (I admit it’s very early).

Jan 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/mattreynolds___/status/1545060155984789505?s=21&t=ywpjs6fh_yedO-xvrPCvHw

Reynolds is an Oklahoma high school basketball source, maybe Brandon Garrison?

Dec 21, 2008
Losing Parker hurt but BG is big time! Plus Parker decommitting so far out gave us time to recover! Wish we could find a super fast Jawun Evans or Abmas from ORU type of PG