Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Dub

Deputy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us
Do we still have a coach who is a “great” recruiter?
Coach Mike is doing his part. It's on the alumni to get swanky jobs, start successful companies, build wealth and roll that back into the university. Twas hard enough to keep up before NIL deals. We lack a critical mass of financially successful alumni and/or boosters.

Attachments

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
How many contributors will play next yr from our #1 recruiting class?

And since that time how many high school players have we signed or have committed?

Do we still have a coach who is a “great” recruiter?

There is 0 momentum with our program right now. We are still missing the one position that we desperately need.

Boynton has struggled mightily w rotation management and chemistry on the floor. Next season depends on those factors probably as much as anything else.

No more excuses. Recruit and get kids signed. Develop those kids. Graduate those kids. And WIN!
Agreed...who actually considers him a "great" recruiter? Other than hiring the brother of the #1 pick, who has he signed that anybody would consider "top-talent"? I think he is an average recruiter, at best. And this cycle has been below average.

Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
www.tulsalawyer.org
Rondel Walker was a unanimous four-star talent, No. 55 on the final ESPN Top-100 for 2020.

After 2 years in the program, he was not starting. Either the coaches failed to develop him, he did not put in the work he needed to do, MB has recruited better players, he was over ranked, or MB should have been playing him more. I am unhappy that he is leaving, but understand, if I was a Top-100 recruit and was not starting after 2 years in a program and it looking like I would not be starting as a Junior, I might be looking for a new opportunity.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Rondel Walker was a unanimous four-star talent, No. 55 on the final ESPN Top-100 for 2020.

After 2 years in the program, he was not starting. Either the coaches failed to develop him, he did not put in the work he needed to do, MB has recruited better players, he was over ranked, or MB should have been playing him more. I am unhappy that he is leaving, but understand, if I was a Top-100 recruit and was not starting after 2 years in a program and it looking like I would not be starting as a Junior, I might be looking for a new opportunity.
I feel much the same way, BUT we could have won a few more games last year had he been able to hit WIDE OPEN three point shots. Ultimately you have to produce when you are on the court, his fault/MB fault who knows. Maybe he wasn't comfortable being a "shooter", maybe his game is more slashing/jumpshooter/defense kind of guy IDK. For whatever reason on offense he looked tentative at times. I hope he does good wherever he lands b/c I'm a fan. I wish he would have stayed.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Agreed...who actually considers him a "great" recruiter? Other than hiring the brother of the #1 pick, who has he signed that anybody would consider "top-talent"? I think he is an average recruiter, at best. And this cycle has been below average.
Well there are two 5 star players on the roster, and at least three 4 stars. I have plenty of concerns about MB as our head coach but recruiting just isn't one of them. Maybe that will change in the age of eil and the portal...who knows. I'm much more worried about player development and in game management.

He's gone through some growing pains for sure and dealt with the NCAA but he is now out of excuses....he needs to show results this coming season or it will be time to make a change. And if it is, it won't be because of his recruiting.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Well there are two 5 star players on the roster, and at least three 4 stars. I have plenty of concerns about MB as our head coach but recruiting just isn't one of them. Maybe that will change in the age of eil and the portal...who knows. I'm much more worried about player development and in game management.

He's gone through some growing pains for sure and dealt with the NCAA but he is now out of excuses....he needs to show results this coming season or it will be time to make a change. And if it is, it won't be because of his recruiting.
I get the "star" ratings but just cause they have them doesn't always mean they need to be recruited or aren't overrated (that's when the coach needs to be the final evaluator) or they may just not be a fit.

But yes I agree, its more his lack of coaching ability than recruiting.

Jan 5, 2011
Next year is the year to put it together. Could you imagine the complaining on here if we got 3 portal athlete/slashers? Boynton addressed shooting. I’m not saying it will work out but at least there are some guys that have a stroke on the team. In the big 12 you still get open looks from 3 (see rondel/Keylan)

Dec 21, 2008
15C00066-E11D-4319-A2FF-466D8916FE8A.png
https://t.co/eC7ZMIHodV

Great listen! I’m a big fan of Coach B. People act like he’s trying to lose recruits and have guys being bought out from under him and Lamont’s issue etc etc. I’m a BIG fan and feel he needs a national platform to bring attention to this filth. Seems like an amazing guy. The landscape of basketball is disgusting, tarnished, rotten and greedy. As a Christian man I’m sure he is struggling playing these games to keep up. He mentions dishonesty and lying. He doesn’t do that. He’s doing the best he can with what he stands for. Quit acting like this is easy and a new coach is a solution. Legends are walking away and he mentions them.

Jun 14, 2011
https://t.co/eC7ZMIHodV

Great listen! I’m a big fan of Coach B. People act like he’s trying to lose recruits and have guys being bought out from under him and Lamont’s issue etc etc. I’m a BIG fan and feel he needs a national platform to bring attention to this filth. Seems like an amazing guy. The landscape of basketball is disgusting, tarnished, rotten and greedy. As a Christian man I’m sure he is struggling playing these games to keep up. He mentions dishonesty and lying. He doesn’t do that. He’s doing the best he can with what he stands for. Quit acting like this is easy and a new coach is a solution. Legends are walking away and he mentions them.
Solid listen and I agree with most of what he stated. That said, NIL is here and in it's current form until some kind of changes are implemented so I sure hope he is doing what he can to keep OSU successful even though it goes against what he is all about. To be clear, I hate the whole concept of the NIL.

Sep 23, 2010
Just pick out the recruit you want Sutton and go offer him a ton of money. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lol. I don't have the expendable income. And if I did, I don't think I would be interested on spending it on an 18-22 year old who may or may not turn out to be a valuable member of my alma mater's basketball team.

Sep 23, 2010
IMO it needs to be categorized & capped. $1000/day for a camp. $5-10/apparel item sold. This $500k to play a sport one year is nonsense and a joke
Market might correct itself or the teams with enough rich fanboys win recruits. By the way, this is kind of what was going on behind the scenes before, but now it can be done in the name of NIL.

Currently, many alumni have gotten smart and created collectives. So, instead of counting on one company/guy to come up with money to pay a kid, they are getting hundreds or thousands of companies/alumni willing to throw 10-50K in there. Then you have some real capital to work with without counting on one guy to come up with 500K. We currently don't have a collective established to my knowledge, so we are certainly behind in the NIL game.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
IMO it needs to be categorized & capped. $1000/day for a camp. $5-10/apparel item sold. This $500k to play a sport one year is nonsense and a joke
Pretty sure that would be absolutely killed in court if you tried to limit the earning potential of someone for their NIL. Limits will never be a thing. the best we can hope for is enough companies/rich alumni get burned in a Spencer Rattler type situation and it brings the pay back down to earth.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Pretty sure that would be absolutely killed in court if you tried to limit the earning potential of someone for their NIL. Limits will never be a thing. the best we can hope for is enough companies/rich alumni get burned in a Spencer Rattler type situation and it brings the pay back down to earth.
I wish you were right on this, but Spencer Rattler situations aren't going to stop the next guy at the next school from lining up deals for players. I'm sure you'll see more protection for the businesses in the language of these NIL deals, but I doubt a Rattler situation scares many boosters away.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Lol. I don't have the expendable income. And if I did, I don't think I would be interested on spending it on an 18-22 year old who may or may not turn out to be a valuable member of my alma mater's basketball team.
I can’t believe the number of clowns and subsequent dollar values being thrown at 18-22 year olds. I would never attach my name or business to people with a complete lack of life experience.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
USSC made that very clear in their 9-0 decision. No way NCAA will cap anything at this point.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can’t believe the number of clowns and subsequent dollar values being thrown at 18-22 year olds. I would never attach my name or business to people with a complete lack of life experience.
I think this is a fascinating part of this whole situation. It's brand new, so crazy dollars are being thrown around right now, but what does it look like in 2, 3, 5 years? I know some of these people/businesses have millions lying around in the couch cushions, but will they see a return on their investments as expected?

Nov 18, 2010
Coach Mike is doing his part. It's on the alumni to get swanky jobs, start successful companies, build wealth and roll that back into the university. Twas hard enough to keep up before NIL deals. We lack a critical mass of financially successful alumni and/or boosters.
It's the Alumni's job to recruit and retain players now? Is that going to be the excuse for losing going forward.
"Coach Mike is doing his part"? If he's not responsible for recruiting or retaining players, what is his job exactly? Because it isn't drawing up offenses or assigning roles to the players.

Nov 18, 2010
St. Peter's made it to the Elite 8 this year. Good coaches find a way.

Every thread about Mike Boyton's teams have become a list of excuses and reasons why we aren't going to win.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
If I’m a business, it’s pretty simple. If I sign a kid to a contract I put in a clause in it that says if they leave the school during the contract then I start collecting interest until they repay me for what I’ve paid them. I set the interest rate at the same as student loans. Problem solved.