Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Ouch. I'm not a "sky is falling" type of guy, but it certainly feels like recruiting momentum is headed in the wrong direction. Here's our roster composition going into next season:

Seniors - 7
Juniors - 4
Sophomores - 0
Freshmen - 1
2023 Commitments - 0

We're setting up for a big problem in the coming years if we aren't ultra successful with the portal. I don't like being that dependent on transfers. Hopefully Coach Boynton and his staff will find a way to figure things out.

May 8, 2007
OKC
Yep Asberry looks athletic. Lots of dunks and blocks on his video from 2 seasons ago. Rondel got lost in the rotation last season plus hit a sophomore slump. I wanted to keep him on the roster, but he would probably still be a bench player. I also saw a rumor that he has committed to OU but hasn’t announced it yet. It’s not official, just a hearsay Twitter rumor.
It's true.
Seriously? Why Zero U?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
Our NIL situation must really not be very good compared to others. I also wonder if Keylan and Rondel leaving has hurt us with our in state love we were getting at the beginning of MB's tenure. None of our recent pick ups would make Parker consider not staying. Besides Wright, the others eligibility will be exhausted after next year. But more concerning, we better get an NIL collective going to compete. If Williams has a pretty good freshman year, he could be shopping NIL at other Power 5 schools.

I'm not super excited about picking up low major 13ppg game guys every year but that might be our future unless we get some things figured out.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Re: Rondel. IF true, it's just something you don't do. I'd feel the same way taking one of OU's guys.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there's just some kind of code between rival schools. I don't even like conference transfers but that's gone out the window these days. Putting the integrity of the game ahead of the individual, there was some merit in a player needing to be "granted a release" by his former school.

Jan 5, 2011
Man, recruiting high school kids I’m sure has never been fun but in portal/NIL times it’s even worse. How many freshman do you realistically want to take in classes in the future to “build”? Passed senior class we kept 1 4 year guy and this coming senior class we are on pace to keep 2. Just try to get a few freshman that will stick it out and build depth in the portal. I’m pretty sure Iowa state lost their entire squad the year before last and the next year they snuck into the sweet 16. Oh and by the way, I think a majority of that sweet 16 roster is in the portal again

Jan 5, 2011
Our NIL situation must really not be very good compared to others. I also wonder if Keylan and Rondel leaving has hurt us with our in state love we were getting at the beginning of MB's tenure. None of our recent pick ups would make Parker consider not staying. Besides Wright, the others eligibility will be exhausted after next year. But more concerning, we better get an NIL collective going to compete. If Williams has a pretty good freshman year, he could be shopping NIL at other Power 5 schools.

I'm not super excited about picking up low major 13ppg game guys every year but that might be our future unless we get some things figured out.
The timing of the Supreme Court ruling might just be the most OSU timing ever. If NIL was being set up when Boone was in good health, I tend to believe he would have had something legit set up for years to come.

Sep 23, 2010
Re: Rondel. IF true, it's just something you don't do. I'd feel the same way taking one of OU's guys.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there's just some kind of code between rival schools. I don't even like conference transfers but that's gone out the window these days. Putting the integrity of the game ahead of the individual, there was some merit in a player needing to be "granted a release" by his former school.
Nothing is off limits in the portal/NIL world.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
The only thing that really matters right now is year to year success. If we’re good in 2023, all will be righted. And with a core of Avery, BT, and Cisse, I feel optimistic about next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Man, recruiting high school kids I’m sure has never been fun but in portal/NIL times it’s even worse. How many freshman do you realistically want to take in classes in the future to “build”? Passed senior class we kept 1 4 year guy and this coming senior class we are on pace to keep 2. Just try to get a few freshman that will stick it out and build depth in the portal. I’m pretty sure Iowa state lost their entire squad the year before last and the next year they snuck into the sweet 16. Oh and by the way, I think a majority of that sweet 16 roster is in the portal again
I was thinking about how recruiting would be going forward. There have been some high school 3 star guys that really turned out to be good players, but in today's world will they even get a shot in P5 school? As a coach would you invest all the effort to recruit, coach a 3 star guy or just settle for a portal guy with more experience even at a lesser competition level than P5? I guess what I'm asking is would guys like Keylan Boone/Waters/Dizzy/Ice/Harris JR or even AA even get a look in today's environment? What's the point of investing any time in a mid level high school player, when you can get virtually the same player two years later with experience and a proven track record against better competition?

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Just pick out the recruit you want Sutton and go offer him a ton of money. Simple as that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 6, 2010
I was thinking about how recruiting would be going forward. There have been some high school 3 star guys that really turned out to be good players, but in today's world will they even get a shot in P5 school? As a coach would you invest all the effort to recruit, coach a 3 star guy or just settle for a portal guy with more experience even at a lesser competition level than P5? I guess what I'm asking is would guys like Keylan Boone/Waters/Dizzy/Ice/Harris JR or even AA even get a look in today's environment? What's the point of investing any time in a mid level high school player, when you can get virtually the same player two years later with experience and a proven track record against better competition?
The flip side is to counter the money aspect. Maybe a sound recruiting strategy for a school like OSU would be to focus on the lower ranked, local kids out of high school, knowing your top tier kids are either going pro or hitting the portal chasing NIL money in a year or two. Go back to redshirting kids like that their freshman year and develop a core of older players that have some degree of loyalty without the lofty expectations of going to the NBA after 1 year. Then sprinkle in portal transfers in areas of need. It would take patience on the part of the admin, but I truly believe it's what has allowed Gundy to be so successful relative to the recruiting rankings.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
There's something to be said for roster continuity and time in a program. Under a really good coach, players will continually develop over their four years. Players get to know their system and teammates better and better with time. Just look at Kansas from this past year. They won a national championship with a starting lineup made up completely of players they signed out of high school.

There's nothing wrong with using the portal to fill some holes in your roster, but I would prefer to see us build our roster primarily through high school recruits. It seems we might not have that option over the next few years.

Jan 5, 2011
Yes, it is nice to have kids in the system for 4 years. We are only averaging 1-2 4 year players right now. I think you still have to go after the best players in Oklahoma and very good players elsewhere. If you lose a few to the portal you have room to recruit the portal. Try to recruit 2-3 high level high school players and add depth via the portal. Kalib and Avery were both 4 stars and we have them as seniors (assuming Avery stays)

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Interesting note: The oldest team in the NCAA Tournament last year was Texas Southern. Their players averaged 2.81 years of experience each. Considering the fact that we're going to have seven seniors and four juniors, we have to be one of the oldest teams in the country.

Hopefully all of our new parts will fit together well. That type of maturity could really help us in the postseason.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Interesting note: The oldest team in the NCAA Tournament last year was Texas Southern. Their players averaged 2.81 years of experience each. Considering the fact that we're going to have seven seniors and four juniors, we have to be one of the oldest teams in the country.

Hopefully all of our new parts will fit together well. That type of maturity could really help us in the postseason.
And the year before, I believe it was Baylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/traceywalker91/status/1524436640399339521?s=21&t=coSD3R23CQcgkXgZ4Q1z1w

Rondel’s dad says they just trimmed his list to 5 schools. I read somewhere Georgia was making a push for him. Maybe he is flipping on whatever word he gave to ou. I’d be fine with that

Dec 9, 2013
How many contributors will play next yr from our #1 recruiting class?

And since that time how many high school players have we signed or have committed?

Do we still have a coach who is a “great” recruiter?

There is 0 momentum with our program right now. We are still missing the one position that we desperately need.

Boynton has struggled mightily w rotation management and chemistry on the floor. Next season depends on those factors probably as much as anything else.

No more excuses. Recruit and get kids signed. Develop those kids. Graduate those kids. And WIN!