Basketball Off-season Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 29, 2016
US
This is a big commitment, because we need shooters. I wish we didn't have to wait a year to get him.

Hmm. Why are Boynton's recruits so skinny and undersized? I'm sure I'm gonna get a trillion thumbs-down for saying this.. Boynton sucks at recruiting. OSU has had the smallest Big 12 lineups during his entire tenure. I hope that Bixby kid works out.. he's not gonna be an impact player good enough right away to right the sinking ship tho, unless he dramatically improves, which I hope will be the case. Well, at least

The current undersized Arkansas recruit has zero offensive skills.. we need shooters for next season. Sheesh. What a disaster that is the basketball program. Feels like an eternity since OSU was a legitimate threat during the Final Four years.

I hope Boynton has an ace or seven up his sleeve. Otherwise, there's a magic trick that will make him disappear from the OSU basketball program aka find another job. Boynton just isn't the guy. For sanity's sake Boynton, recruit big boys, not paper thin undersized rag dolls.. otherwise, the Big 12 will continue to toss our players around like yesterday's salad.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
Hmm. Why are Boynton's recruits so skinny and undersized? I'm sure I'm gonna get a trillion thumbs-down for saying this.. Boynton sucks at recruiting. OSU has had the smallest Big 12 lineups during his entire tenure. I hope that Bixby kid works out.. he's not gonna be an impact player good enough right away to right the sinking ship tho, unless he dramatically improves, which I hope will be the case. Well, at least

The current undersized Arkansas recruit has zero offensive skills.. we need shooters for next season. Sheesh. What a disaster that is the basketball program. Feels like an eternity since OSU was a legitimate threat during the Final Four years.

I hope Boynton has an ace or seven up his sleeve. Otherwise, there's a magic trick that will make him disappear from the OSU basketball program aka find another job. Boynton just isn't the guy. For sanity's sake Boynton, recruit big boys, not paper thin undersized rag dolls.. otherwise, the Big 12 will continue to toss our players around like yesterday's salad.
Wait, wut???

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
This is a big commitment, because we need shooters. I wish we didn't have to wait a year to get him.

He consistently signs 4 stars has brought in back to back 5 star players and possibly a 3rd in a row. I don’t think recruiting is the issue. You say we need shooters, this kid is a shooter. I’m starting to think you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. Boynton has to turn it around, but the issue isnt recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008

Wait, wut???
Trying to figure it out myself.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
Hmm. Why are Boynton's recruits so skinny and undersized? I'm sure I'm gonna get a trillion thumbs-down for saying this.. Boynton sucks at recruiting. OSU has had the smallest Big 12 lineups during his tenure. I hope that Bixby kid works out.. he's not gonna be an impact player good enough to right the sinking ship tho, unless he dramatically improves, which I hope will be the case. The current undersized Arkansas recruit has zero offensive skills.. we need shooters for next season. Sheesh. What a disaster that is the basketball program. Feels like an eternity since OSU was a legitimate threat during the Final Four years.

I hope Boynton has an ace or seven up his sleeve. Otherwise, there's a magic trick that make him disappear from the OSU basketball program aka find another job. Boynton just isn't the guy. For sanity's sake Boynton, recruit big boys, not paper thin undersized rag dolls.. otherwise, the Big 12 will continue to toss our players around like yesterday's salad.
Friedrichsen definitely needs a college training table and strength & conditioning program. He's just a high school junior though, so he still has plenty of time to fill out and get stronger. I like him as a prospect. He looks like he has a pure stroke.

Coach Boynton doesn't suck at recruiting. He's very good at getting raw talent to campus. The question is whether or not he can optimize it once it's here.

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK

This bean pole is currently the top prospect in the country. Kevin Durant still looks like he needs a sandwich. And as was said, this kid is a high school junior. He's a hell of a fine prospect.

1647292642523.png

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
He consistently signs 4 stars has brought in back to back 5 star players and possibly a 3rd in a row. I don’t think recruiting is the issue. You say we need shooters, this kid is a shooter. I’m starting to think you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. Boynton has to turn it around, but the issue isnt recruiting.

Let’s be honest to the two 5 star players haven’t lived up to what you would expect from 5 star players. Both are nice players.

Sep 23, 2010
Seth Davis thinks so...on a paywall article in the Athletic.

They were paying Frank Martin 3.2million a year. Pretty big pay increase for Boynton. It is just speculation and circumstance at the moment.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
Yeah, the skinny guy below along with his brother, Jamal Crawford, Trae Young and dozens of others have never had any success. Our biggest need this year was shooting. We had one of the best defensive teams in the country in conference play. We get a commit from the best shooter in the state in years and people complain. Unbelievably miserable people complain about great news.

curry57.jpeg

Oct 1, 2006
USA
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1503440381870059520?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

This is concerning.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
Seth Davis thinks so...on a paywall article in the Athletic.

They were paying Frank Martin 3.2million a year. Pretty big pay increase for Boynton. It is just speculation and circumstance at the moment.
It makes sense for a lot of reasons, but I hope he feels there's unfinished business here, and that OSU steps up with a good counter.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
Interesting. I think if Boynton has the returning players he wants at OSU, he stays. 100% if he lands Black with this potential line-up.

I could see the lure of South Carolina as a former player, but everything else is a step down, despite the OSU's last 17 years. South Carolina might have more money due to SEC and there might be more NIL money for players.

South Carolina would have to be interested in doing it and I'm not sure their fanbase would be. Other than recruiting, Boynton hasn't made a big splash as a coach.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure how to feel about this. It could be a huge blessing in disguise if he ultimately ends up failing as a head coach, because we would be receiving a big buyout instead of paying one. It would be tough to watch him have a high level of success at another school though.

It's hard to know for sure what would be best for our MBB program long term.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Potential replacements include Cleveland State's Dennis Gates, Murray State's Matt McMahon, Chattanooga's Lamont Paris and former South Carolina star BJ McKie, now an assistant coach at Wake Forest. Another possible candidate is Oklahoma State's Mike Boynton, who spent five seasons as an assistant coach at South Carolina under Darrin Horn. However, Boynton's buyout is believed to be prohibitive.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Two scenarios:

1: Boynton and his agent are attempting a higher salary via OSU.

2: If Boynton to South Carolina is very real and not an attempt of forcing OSU to pay more, it just confirms everything I've said about Boynton.. he knows he's failed in recruiting, and that next year will be another disaster.

If he's gone, the next HC has a daunting task of reviving OSU's basketball program.. he's gonna need many firetrucks to hose down the dumpster fire of a basketball program caused by Boynton's own making.

I hope he's gone. He's a terrible recruiter, except for Cade, which I give Boynton credit for, absolutely terrible in-game coaching, poor designed plays after timeout and/or commercial break. Never talks to his assistant coaches during a game.. maybe once or twice. Boynton's rather too busy standing away from the huddle, which is just baffling. I could go on and on.

I wanted it to work out for him.. but it didn't.

Oct 29, 2016
US
Two scenarios:

1: Boynton and his agent are attempting a higher salary via OSU.

2: If Boynton to South Carolina is very real and not an attempt of forcing OSU to pay more, it just confirms everything I've said about Boynton.. he knows he's failed in recruiting, and that next year will be another disaster.

If he's gone, the next HC has a daunting task of reviving OSU's basketball program.. he's gonna need many firetrucks to hose down the dumpster fire of a basketball program caused by Boynton's own making.

I hope he's gone. He's a terrible recruiter, except for Cade, which I give Boynton credit for, absolutely terrible in-game coaching, poor designed plays after timeout and/or commercial break. Never talks to his assistant coaches during a game.. maybe once or twice. Boynton's rather too busy standing away from the huddle, which is just baffling. I could go on and on.

I wanted it to work out for him.. but it didn't.
Oh.. wait a second. How did I miss the speculation part of the OP's post. So it's probably not gonna happen, but could very well happen.