Basketball 2021/2022 - Potential Improvements

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 20, 2013
When we hired Cannen Cunningham, we demoted and ultimately lost John Cooper. Cooper had 26 years of collegiate coaching experience, including 8 years as a head coach. Cunningham had 2 years of middle school/AAU coaching experience and 1 year of experience as a video coordinator. He wasn't really qualified for the job, and I'm not sure if the plan was to keep him long term.

All that being said, I don't really care what his resume looked like coming to OSU. All I really care is whether or not he can recruit, develop, and coach at a high level. If he brings as much value to the staff as a veteran assistant, he should be retained.
Cooper clearly knows WAAAAYYY more about basketball than I do. That being said, lamenting the loss of a guy that has a .402 winning percentage over his 8 year head coaching stint isn't something I'm prepared to do. If we have an opportunity to develop more significant recruiting ties in the metroplex and grow a coach like Cannen the way Boynton wants his staff to look, I'm down with that. I think we retained enough coaching experience with Scott Sutton. I do agree with you that either way, if he can get it done here, good addition.

On an unrelated note, I would legitimately ask how many hours several of our guys can spend each week with Keiton Page learning 3-point shooting and free throws. Blows my mind that both of those are holes with him on this staff.

Mar 12, 2018
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Cooper clearly knows WAAAAYYY more about basketball than I do. That being said, lamenting the loss of a guy that has a .402 winning percentage over his 8 year head coaching stint isn't something I'm prepared to do. If we have an opportunity to develop more significant recruiting ties in the metroplex and grow a coach like Cannen the way Boynton wants his staff to look, I'm down with that. I think we retained enough coaching experience with Scott Sutton. I do agree with you that either way, if he can get it done here, good addition.

On an unrelated note, I would legitimately ask how many hours several of our guys can spend each week with Keiton Page learning 3-point shooting and free throws. Blows my mind that both of those are holes with him on this staff.
Send someone down to chat with ORU coaches after the season to see what they do.

Jan 5, 2011
Changing it up a bit and this will need its own thread in a few weeks, when players from around the country enter the portal, but are there any leads on the recruiting trail for the incoming class (or lack thereof) ? We have all identified we will still have a very athletic/quick/long team coming back and have addressed 2 spots we need to upgrade to get to another level: (3 point shooting and a big bodied defender/ rebounder, back to the basket game also a plus)

It also depends on what Bryce Williams decides, but if we have 3 scholarships available when it’s all said and done (possibly 4?) what is your wish list? Transfer portal? Would love to get a couple of knock down shooters, even better if they are athletes as well, and an experienced big bodied center to help us with match ups with with big bangers that really hurt us this year. I know both of those positions don’t grow on trees, and all coaches are usually looking to add to those areas.

Another thought is how refreshing it has been this season to have such quickness on defense, making opposing guards uncomfortable.

Sep 23, 2010
Other thing we might need is another combo guard that can create his own shot. It was nice this year having two guys that can create their own shot in Cade and AA. It's something our program lacked since Boynton arrived minus the short time Weathers played. The Kendall Smith kid that transferred in could kind of create his own shot and helped us that year tremendously as well. Someone like that would help this roster along with a shooter and a big. Kouma is very likeable, but he really needs to be our 4th best big, not 3rd

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Other thing we might need is another combo guard that can create his own shot. It was nice this year having two guys that can create their own shot in Cade and AA. It's something our program lacked since Boynton arrived minus the short time Weathers played. The Kendall Smith kid that transferred in could kind of create his own shot and helped us that year tremendously as well. Someone like that would help this roster along with a shooter and a big. Kouma is very likeable, but he really needs to be our 4th best big, not 3rd
Long term, I think Donovan Williams is a shot creating wing. I don't think he's a combo guard - I'd say he profiles to be more of a 2/3 at this level - but he has potential to be a 3-level scorer.

I doubt he'd be ready to take on a significant scoring burden for a few more seasons though.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
Long term, I think Donovan Williams is a shot creating wing. I don't think he's a combo guard - I'd say he profiles to be more of a 2/3 at this level - but he has potential to be a 3-level scorer.

I doubt he'd be ready to take on a significant scoring burden for a few more seasons though.

I think Williams has some good skill level but I'm not sure he has the athletic ability to be much of a creator at this level.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

I think Williams has some good skill level but I'm not sure he has the athletic ability to be much of a creator at this level.
That is my concern as well. I think his strength will help negate that weakness to an extent.

Jun 14, 2011
I can tell you one thing they do: they bend their knees! MAM looks like a totem pole out there shooting free throws. It boggles my mind that he either doesn't know or can't remember to bend his knees...
He also comes way up on his toes and has a short pause before the shot release. It is interesting to see it in action and clearly it is not working. I didn't get into his mechanics in my first post, but as you said, he certainly needs work.

Sep 23, 2010
We're going to need to be active in the portal. We need some solid pieces and I don't see hardly any four year players still available that can help minus the big from Canada that might reclassify. There hasn't been near the offers out for 2021 that we had in year's past. My concern with luring transfers is the looming NCAA ban.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
The biggest thing I want to improve for next year is the shooting. Cade was our best 3 point shooter by far and we don’t have anybody else that is consistent. I know we have some guys that shot the ball well in high school but it hasn’t translated yet. I think that is even more important than a big guy inside (although I’d take that too if he can run the floor).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 21, 2008
Making shots keeps getting mentioned: that’s common sense. Ice & Rondel came in with hitches in their shots. 3/4 through season, both were in finger/thumb splints. Whatever their injuries, having a splint on throws off your mechanics. It’s like trying to put socks on with a bandaid on, it’s just not the same. If they had a fracture or torn tendon that adds to the discomfort. Having a crazy Covid preseason and spending more time having their brains tickled than getting to shoot around this yr, I know they will all improve. Losing early may become a blessing to this team. That sting and losing the best player we may ever have really is a gut punch to all. The resilience and work ethic Coach B lives I have no doubt they will continue to improve. We have several question marks re: injuries but I felt Ice had a great first 1/2 of the season shooting and hitting 3s. Last 1/4 he never tried shooting after his hurt thumb. Ready to see him lead the team and play off Avery as 2 dribble drive options

Sep 24, 2011
Cade was creating wide open threes for his teammates against Oregon State. Uncontested threes. We still missed them. We need perimeter players who can knock down 50% of uncontested threes. Guys that can’t hit 75% of uncontested free throws won’t do that. We have a coach/staff for every player, yet we can’t seem to have shooters.
The Big 12 had this problem in general. We got beat by teams who played fundamental basketball and had shooters.

Oct 30, 2007
With Page, Forte, & Dziagwa, we had a sharpshooter every year for over a decade. I think we were hoping that Flavors would fill that role this year, but it didn't work out. We definitely need to find some shooters moving forward.

I saw an article yesterday on the Go Pokes board that said we've been in contact with Justin Powell from Auburn. I would love to land him, because he shot 44% from 3 last year as a freshman, and he would fill a huge need. There are a lot of schools vying for his services though, so it may be a longshot.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
With Page, Forte, & Dziagwa, we had a sharpshooter every year for over a decade. I think we were hoping that Flavors would fill that role this year, but it didn't work out. We definitely need to find some shooters moving forward.

I saw an article yesterday on the Go Pokes board that said we've been in contact with Justin Powell from Auburn. I would love to land him, because he shot 44% from 3 last year as a freshman, and he would fill a huge need. There are a lot of schools vying for his services though, so it may be a longshot.
Like you said, long list of schools for Powell and several are from his home state.

From the same article, Kellan Grady from Davidson would be a nice addition and meets the same needs. He would be a grad transfer and I believe he would only have 1 year.

Jun 20, 2013

Is it greedy to say I'd like to have 2-3 of these type of guys on the roster?

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Like you said, long list of schools for Powell and several are from his home state.

From the same article, Kellan Grady from Davidson would be a nice addition and meets the same needs. He would be a grad transfer and I believe he would only have 1 year.
He would be a great addition too, i would love to have Tre Mitchell a big dude who can score would be great! I dont really think we are on his radar at all though