Baseball selection show

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
We were never going to be a 1 seed in a regional. We didn't play well enough at critical moments during conference play. Accept that and move on. And get on a damn plane, flights are cheap right now.
Awesome advice

That's $1000 round trip for the wife and I just to get there.

Then we have to rent a car etc....

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
This seems like a really wide open regional. We have a chance to win the regional at 3-0 or could go 0-2. I agree with some others who have said that we need to win the first 2 games to have a chance. Our pitching depth gives us very little chance to come through the loser's bracket (see yesterday's 4th game of the Big 12). Need to win the first 2 and go through the winner's bracket. Arizona is good offensively and that would be a real challenge in a 4th or 5th game of a regional.

The regional is balanced. Grand Canyon and UCSB both have legit aces so both Arizona and us will have their hands full in the opening game. If we can win the first, it helps us that the #1 seed doesn't have a weak #4 in the first game. It sounds like Arizona's park is a very offensive friendly park which hopefully benefits us against UCSB as we have better power numbers than they do. Arizona looks to draw relatively small crowds this year so I don't think the home field advantage will be what it would be at some of the places in the south.

All in all, this looks like a "fair" regional draw. It's definitely not easy but it's not unreasonably tough. If we play well, we've got a legit shot. If not, we won't win a regional anywhere playing poorly.
We owe them from 2016!!! Tough regional...but all things considering this is best case scenario

Dec 11, 2011
Bottom line, there were a number of opportunities to earn a 1 seed & host; we didn't capitalize. If we want to go to Omaha, gonna have to win some tough games to get there regardless... Either we can, or we didn't have any business doing it anyway.
The way I see it, we could have gotten a lot less favorable draw.

Sack up & go to Tucson to whip some ass!

Apr 7, 2006
You act like we won't be able to get the Conestoga all the way to Tucson. Most years OSU takes a road trip to Arizona/So Cal in early season. It's not a big deal. You are either going to play someone in your conference, play a really tough opponent or travel. You'd be bitching about any of those options but the one that most fans would prefer is being sent to a PAC 12 regional. Any SEC venue would have been a nightmare and we aren't getting sent to Austin, Lubbock or Fort Worth so that's what you've got left. Not real complicated and just part of the deal when you don't host. We've been sent East or SE several times in the last 20 years and I'm hard pressed to think back to any of those that were better draws.

Jun 20, 2013
I really can't understand the logic behind whining about seeding. The goal is to win it all, which meas you have to beat good teams. We're either great or we aren't, smple as that. Basketball was gifted a great bracket after round one, and we didn't do a single thing with it. Seeding is not the major factor that people think it is. Just win the dadgum game!

Apr 7, 2006
Agree. The only major argument is whether you host, beyond that doesn't matter much. As Jerry Reed would say "when you're hot you're hot, when you're not you're not'

Nov 6, 2010
I really can't understand the logic behind whining about seeding. The goal is to win it all, which meas you have to beat good teams. We're either great or we aren't, smple as that. Basketball was gifted a great bracket after round one, and we didn't do a single thing with it. Seeding is not the major factor that people think it is. Just win the dadgum game!
I don't know. I guess I agree with you about baseball just because of double elimination. But with basketball, seeding is extremely important, because one off night means you're done.