B12 Championship Game - tiebreakers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If flyfisher was using “assumes we’re gonna lose” as a reference to OU and not ISU, then he’s guilty of doing exactly what he’s accusing me of doing. He goes on to say
“My point is why even have this discussion until after we lose a game.” So it would seem he believes the tiebreaker discussion (which assumes a loss to OU) is only a sensible discussion if we lose to ISU, not OU.

Regarding the assumption in the OP (OU wins out), it’s not simply a matter of assuming OSU will lose once again to OU, it’s more of a matter of merely assuming chalk. OUs current chance of winning its final 5 games are .99, .90, .71, .66 and .71.

Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:)

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
At this point in the season, it looks like the 4 contenders for the CCG are OU, OSU, BU and ISU. If we assume OU wins out (most likely scenario), what needs to happen for OSU to make the CCG?

- Win all games but OU, we're in.
- Beat ISU we still make the CCG with 1 or 2 losses (OU and KU, TCU, WVU or TTech). In that instance we will have the tie-breaker over BU, ISU and UT.
- Lose to ISU, this is where it gets complicated and we potentially get screwed
- if we're tied only with BU with 2 losses, we're in.
- if we're tied only with ISU with 2 losses, we're out.
- If we're tied with ISU and BU with 2 losses, each losing to OU and 1-1 record against ISU and BU, we're out, ISU is in. In this instance, the tiebreaking sequence goes to point differential. Currently BU's points diff is -8, OSU +10 and ISU -2. If ISU beats OSU, BU's points diff will be lowest thus BU will be eliminated from the tiebreaker. At that point since ISU beat OSU, ISU wins the tiebreaker.

Editorial comment: Lets say ISU beats OSU by 1 point. The Point differentials will be BU -8, ISU -1 and OSU +9. How does that make sense?
Why why WHY!!!!????
Why did you have to bring this up at all this week?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
At this point in the season, it looks like the 4 contenders for the CCG are OU, OSU, BU and ISU. If we assume OU wins out (most likely scenario), what needs to happen for OSU to make the CCG?

- Win all games but OU, we're in.
- Beat ISU we still make the CCG with 1 or 2 losses (OU and KU, TCU, WVU or TTech). In that instance we will have the tie-breaker over BU, ISU and UT.
- Lose to ISU, this is where it gets complicated and we potentially get screwed
- if we're tied only with BU with 2 losses, we're in.
- if we're tied only with ISU with 2 losses, we're out.
- If we're tied with ISU and BU with 2 losses, each losing to OU and 1-1 record against ISU and BU, we're out, ISU is in. In this instance, the tiebreaking sequence goes to point differential. Currently BU's points diff is -8, OSU +10 and ISU -2. If ISU beats OSU, BU's points diff will be lowest thus BU will be eliminated from the tiebreaker. At that point since ISU beat OSU, ISU wins the tiebreaker.

Editorial comment: Lets say ISU beats OSU by 1 point. The Point differentials will be BU -8, ISU -1 and OSU +9. How does that make sense?
Why why WHY!!!!????
Why did you have to bring this up at all this week?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I just saved a bunch of fans the trouble of working out the tiebreakers.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
First of all, I think OU making it through undefeated may be a stretch... But for the sake of discussion, it benefits us for OU to go undefeated and hang losses on Baylor and Iowa State.

If that happens and if Texas beats Iowa State, we could end up tied with 2 losses each for OSU, Texas and/or Baylor. Obviously, we've already beaten Texas and Baylor so there's no problem being in a tie with them.

So as long as Iowa State picks up 3 losses (OU and Texas being the most likely) we still have a really good chance of making the Championship game.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Probably there will be only one team with 0 or 1 loss and multiple two loss teams resulting in a tiebreaker rules for CCG. I think OSU and BU have a good chance of getting to CCG as OU and ISU most likely end up with two or more Conference losses.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Probably there will be only one team with 0 or 1 loss and multiple two loss teams resulting in a tiebreaker rules for CCG. I think OSU and BU have a good chance of getting to CCG as OU and ISU most likely end up with two or more Conference losses.
OU has 4 games remaining - TT, at BU, ISU, at OSU. Which two or more are they losing?

ISU has 5 games remaining - at WVU, UT, at TT, OU, TCU. Which one or two are they losing?

OSU does control its own destiny, but it probably requires winning out unless ISU losses to UT AND Baylor loses to OU. In that case we’re in if we win all but OU.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
ISU isn’t going to do us any favors.
OU isn’t going to do us any favors.
Texas isn’t going to do us any favors.
Baylor isn’t going to do us any favors.
We have to beat OU twice to win the Big XII, it’ll be a great season if we do, it’ll be a good season if we don’t.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
here's what I want to happen: OSU vs. ISU for championship
here's what I do not want: ISU vs. uo
For some reason, I really think my 'Want" is realistically possible...I think we will win out, (well, that is if we figure out our 3rd Q woes) and ISU wins out..I think right now ISU is the best team in the Big12...uo has best offense, but defense is suspect...
Go Pokes!