B12 Championship Game - tiebreakers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
At this point in the season, it looks like the 4 contenders for the CCG are OU, OSU, BU and ISU. If we assume OU wins out (most likely scenario), what needs to happen for OSU to make the CCG?

- Win all games but OU, we're in.
- Beat ISU we still make the CCG with 1 or 2 losses (OU and KU, TCU, WVU or TTech). In that instance we will have the tie-breaker over BU, ISU and UT.
- Lose to ISU, this is where it gets complicated and we potentially get screwed
- if we're tied only with BU with 2 losses, we're in.
- if we're tied only with ISU with 2 losses, we're out.
- If we're tied with ISU and BU with 2 losses, each losing to OU and 1-1 record against ISU and BU, we're out, ISU is in. In this instance, the tiebreaking sequence goes to point differential. Currently BU's points diff is -8, OSU +10 and ISU -2. If ISU beats OSU, BU's points diff will be lowest thus BU will be eliminated from the tiebreaker. At that point since ISU beat OSU, ISU wins the tiebreaker.

Editorial comment: Lets say ISU beats OSU by 1 point. The Point differentials will be BU -8, ISU -1 and OSU +9. How does that make sense?

Nov 6, 2010
Way too early for any of this. I still fear our trips to Morgantown and Lubbock. The way this team plays, we'll be in every game, but unfortunately, the other teams will be too.

Sep 15, 2006
About this time of year, I start thinking about who we need to lose (apart from the team we're playing each week) ... As much as it pains me, I think we need to root for Texas to beat ISU and BU, and I can see them maybe splitting those. BU also has OU left, so that could be a likely loss. ISU has OU as well, so another game they won't be favored in.

You're right, it's complicated, but I'm hoping we can do no worse than 2 losses with ISU at 3. Obviously, if one of those is to us, that's the ideal scenario.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2011
BU I think is the most underrated team in the country. They need more respect. They've been smoking teams, have 2 top 25 wins, and their only loss is to an undefeated top 10 team on the road.

I've been watching them and they look really good, but man we completely turned a prolific offense into a junior high team.

P.S. Remind me to delete this at the end of the year. I don't want anyone to see that I gave Baylor credit

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
- If we're tied with ISU and BU with 2 losses, each losing to OU and 1-1 record against ISU and BU, we're out, ISU is in. In this instance, the tiebreaking sequence goes to point differential. Currently BU's points diff is -8, OSU +10 and ISU -2. If ISU beats OSU, BU's points diff will be lowest thus BU will be eliminated from the tiebreaker. At that point since ISU beat OSU, ISU wins the tiebreaker.
I think you are way off on your math.
With current BU -8, ISU -2 and OSU +10, if we lose to ISU by 6 points and then it would be BU -8, ISU +4 and OSU + 4. So we'd need to lose to ISU by 7 points to lose the tie breaker.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
I think you are way off on your math.
With current BU -8, ISU -2 and OSU +10, if we lose to ISU by 6 points and then it would be BU -8, ISU +4 and OSU + 4. So we'd need to lose to ISU by 7 points to lose the tie breaker.
Have another read of the rules. The point differential tiebreaker eliminates the lowest point differential team, thus leaving two teams. At that point, the team that won head-to-head wins the tiebreaker.

Sep 6, 2014
Haven't really thought about Big 12 Championship scenarios yet, but pretty crazy that if we can beat ISU Saturday, which will be extremely difficult, that we will have to have an almost complete meltdown to not at least make it to the championship game

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Alot like last year.
We had already beaten ISU so a win vs uT would have put us in an almost certain B12 Champ game spot. . . but we know how that turned out. Hopefully this team knows that as well.

Mar 8, 2010
Really? We’re already talking about the CCG? Sometimes I think our fan base loves playing out all these scenarios more than going to games and cheering for our Pokes! I guess that’s because we have a history of choking somewhere along the season and it’s better to talk about it now before that unexpected loss comes, as it has so many times before, and then all they can talk about is what’s the best bowl we can hope for. As they say “just win baby” and don’t jinx us by talking about the CCG prematurely, None of our chickens have hatched yet and there are still a lot of foxes trying to get in our henhouse!

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Really? We’re already talking about the CCG? Sometimes I think our fan base loves playing out all these scenarios more than going to games and cheering for our Pokes! I guess that’s because we have a history of choking somewhere along the season and it’s better to talk about it now before that unexpected loss comes, as it has so many times before, and then all they can talk about is what’s the best bowl we can hope for. As they say “just win baby” and don’t jinx us by talking about the CCG prematurely, None of our chickens have hatched yet and there are still a lot of foxes trying to get in our henhouse!
What we’re really talking about is our chances of making the the CCG with a win or loss this weekend.

Win ~ 80% chance
Lose ~ 20% chance

I figured the huge delta between a win and a loss would be of interest to most fans. Guess not in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
At this point in the season, it looks like the 4 contenders for the CCG are OU, OSU, BU and ISU. If we assume OU wins out (most likely scenario), what needs to happen for OSU to make the CCG?

- Win all games but OU, we're in.
- Beat ISU we still make the CCG with 1 or 2 losses (OU and KU, TCU, WVU or TTech). In that instance we will have the tie-breaker over BU, ISU and UT.
- Lose to ISU, this is where it gets complicated and we potentially get screwed
- if we're tied only with BU with 2 losses, we're in.
- if we're tied only with ISU with 2 losses, we're out.

Editorial comment: Lets say ISU beats OSU by 1 point. The Point differentials will be BU -8, ISU -1 and OSU +9. How does that make sense?
JUST WIN BABY!!!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Never too early to talk about your goals and what it takes to get there.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gundy was telling the team: "you want to be Big12 Champs ? It starts this weekend in Ames."

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

It wouldn't surprise me if Gundy was telling the team: "you want to be Big12 Champs ? It starts this weekend in Ames."
That's a little different than analyzing all the options.

Pretty much a statement of fact that we just need to win every game and we're in.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 19, 2012

Your goal is to win every game. Not think about what you have to do if you lose. Which is what this discussion is about. Let's talk about loss scenarios when we lose or get to the OU game.