Avion Carter, No. 91 overall football recruit, to stay close to home at TCU - ??

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Avion Carter, No. 91 overall football recruit, to stay close to home at TCU

So I had to laugh a little at this ESPN headline. Carter is from Amarillo.
They need a geography lesson about his other top choices of OSU and Tech.

Amarillo to FW = 340 miles
Amarillo to Stillwater = 325 miles
Amarillo to Lubbock = 125 miles

Looks like a good player, too bad we missed.
But we've had really good luck with speedy DEs so hopefully that will continue.

Last edited:

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
It’s mind boggling just how big Texas is and how it’s shape affects perceptions.

Was just talking about vacations and looking at the Mediterranean and we were wondering how close we would be to active war zones in the Black Sea. We looked at the size of Europe compared to Texas and other similar comparisons.

Really can’t blame people who’ve never lived in the region for not understanding. Even living here, it’s hard to grasp.

Here’s some comparisons

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/how-big-is-texas-compared-to-other-land-masses/

Apr 7, 2006
It’s mind boggling just how big Texas is and how it’s shape affects perceptions.

Was just talking about vacations and looking at the Mediterranean and we were wondering how close we would be to active war zones in the Black Sea. We looked at the size of Europe compared to Texas and other similar comparisons.

Really can’t blame people who’ve never lived in the region for not understanding. Even living here, it’s hard to grasp.

Here’s some comparisons

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/how-big-is-texas-compared-to-other-land-masses/
One interesting thing that has always boggled my mind is that if you're driving from Houston to Los Angeles - El Paso is right at the midway mark. Can't confirm but was told there was once a TV crew flown into Dallas for the Sun Bowl only to realize they could've gotten there faster if they'd have just had them drive out of Los Angeles.

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
One interesting thing that has always boggled my mind is that if you're driving from Houston to Los Angeles - El Paso is right at the midway mark. Can't confirm but was told there was once a TV crew flown into Dallas for the Sun Bowl only to realize they could've gotten there faster if they'd have just had them drive out of Los Angeles.
I moved from Bryan County, Oklahoma right on the border to El Paso, Texas. 12 hour drive. Texas is mind boggling

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Yeah, I speak from 1st hand experience. Last year the fam drove from Houston out to Carlsbad, Grand Canyon, Zion, and Bryce Canyon. Day 1 was getting thru Texas.

The drive back via the northern route I-40 was loooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg!!!

And I've decided Albuquerque is biggest dump I've ever been thru.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If I was on said TV crew, I would be pissed they didn’t just fly me into El Paso…

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite

Here’s some comparisons

yep. Chicago is closer to Texarkana, TX than El Paso is to Texarkana.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
I had a friend from California who attended OSU. She always told me that El Paso was slightly more than halfway to LA, but it's very close, and also depends on which route you take. Never actually checked it on a map app (which we didn't have back then). She also said the drive through the desert after El Paso was brutal in August.