Avery Anderson Declares for Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2022

Avery Anderson is projected as a 1st round pick in the 2022 draft. He probably could get drafted in the 2nd round this year if a team likes him enough. I think he would benefit greatly from another year though. He could work his way into a lottery pick if he plays well, and the odds of making it long term in the NBA as a lottery pick are much higher than as a 2nd round draft pick.

We'll have to keep our fingers crossed and hope he comes back. One thing's for sure, Coach Boynton and this staff better keep recruiting and hitting the transfer portal hard.
This site has Kalib Boone going at the end of the first round of the 2022 draft. This guy either loves Oklahoma State guys or it will be one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.

Count me in as believing AA has much better shot at making the NBA than Ice.

Two schools of thought. Grind it out and get better in college and maybe improve your draft stock for the next season. Or go pro now, 2nd round or free agent. Grind it out and get better in the G League as two way player (NBA and G-League) and get paid anywhere from 250K to 2MIllion. NBA is now set up to bring along guys like AA. They have developmental coaches who work these guys out all the time that work for the NBA team and monitors while they play the G League.

So, it's really not necessarily being drafted as quickly as possible. It's really about earning as much as possible and getting to the second contract faster, that's where the money is at. If he left and developed into 8-9 year pro. He would be earning that money one year sooner and have that much less mileage on the legs to extend his career.

Saying all that, I hope he sticks around because I enjoy watching him play. Regardless whether it's OSU or where ever, he's going to have to get better at decision making and turnovers. NBA is not putting up with a guy who turns it over that much as he does at the 1 or any position.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
This site has Kalib Boone going at the end of the first round of the 2022 draft. This guy either loves Oklahoma State guys or it will be one of the weakest drafts in recent memory.

Count me in as believing AA has much better shot at making the NBA than Ice.

Two schools of thought. Grind it out and get better in college and maybe improve your draft stock for the next season. Or go pro now, 2nd round or free agent. Grind it out and get better in the G League as two way player (NBA and G-League) and get paid anywhere from 250K to 2MIllion. NBA is now set up to bring along guys like AA. They have developmental coaches who work these guys out all the time that work for the NBA team and monitors while they play the G League.

So, it's really not necessarily being drafted as quickly as possible. It's really about earning as much as possible and getting to the second contract faster, that's where the money is at. If he left and developed into 8-9 year pro. He would be earning that money one year sooner and have that much less mileage on the legs to extend his career.

Saying all that, I hope he sticks around because I enjoy watching him play. Regardless whether it's OSU or where ever, he's going to have to get better at decision making and turnovers. NBA is not putting up with a guy who turns it over that much as he does at the 1 or any position.
Getting stuck in G league developmental hell is a real possibility for a second round/non lottery pick. The higher you get drafted, the more chances you get to stick somewhere. Coming back another year and getting drafted higher in a weaker draft class could also lead to more potential earnings down the road. Both ways have risks and rewards.

Sep 6, 2014
Why isn't Ice an nba prospect? a tough 6'5 pg who rebounds better than a lot of forwards, reminds me of a lesser version of Marcus Smart. Doesn't have the prettiest shot but he doesn't have to be a scorer on the right team

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Why isn't Ice an nba prospect? a tough 6'5 pg who rebounds better than a lot of forwards, reminds me of a lesser version of Marcus Smart. Doesn't have the prettiest shot but he doesn't have to be a scorer on the right team
Because the NBA today is a make or miss league. If you can't shoot the three ball a little you can't play unless you are a guy like Ben Simmons who has elite athleticism. ice shot better from 3 this year but has limited attempts. Marcus Smart wasn't a top notch 3 point shooter but if he was open he would shoot it.

Sep 23, 2010
Getting stuck in G league developmental hell is a real possibility for a second round/non lottery pick. The higher you get drafted, the more chances you get to stick somewhere. Coming back another year and getting drafted higher in a weaker draft class could also lead to more potential earnings down the road. Both ways have risks and rewards.
I think in the past this was true, but not as much with the restructuring of the NBA and G-League and the way they work together now. If you can become one of those 4 guys that has a two way contract, then they are definitely invested in you. And that happens more often now. In fact, a "number one" pick gets more pressure to play on the NBA team when he might benefit getting reps and touches with the G League team.

Who has a better chance of getting AA ready for the NBA? An NBA franchise or Oklahoma State?

My concern is if AA is even good enough right now for an NBA team to invest in him at this point. I think this move is for AA is merely to gather information and that's it. If he goes undrafted and is an end of the bench G League guy, then he just needs to prepare to make money overseas for a long time which can be very lucrative if he's willing to live in different cultures.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
I think in the past this was true, but not as much with the restructuring of the NBA and G-League and the way they work together now. If you can become one of those 4 guys that has a two way contract, then they are definitely invested in you. And that happens more often now. In fact, a "number one" pick gets more pressure to play on the NBA team when he might benefit getting reps and touches with the G League team.

Who has a better chance of getting AA ready for the NBA? An NBA franchise or Oklahoma State?

My concern is if AA is even good enough right now for an NBA team to invest in him at this point. I think this move is for AA is merely to gather information and that's it. If he goes undrafted and is an end of the bench G League guy, then he just needs to prepare to make money overseas for a long time which can be very lucrative if he's willing to live in different cultures.
So very true, hopefully this is just for him to see what his strengths and weaknesses are in his game, he does show flashes of great skill that can translate into the nba. Of course i want him back next year because the way he improved at the end of this year, he has the making of an all conference PG if his trajectory continues in that way and we will need a guy who can make a bucket off the dribble even more so than this year.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
So very true, hopefully this is just for him to see what his strengths and weaknesses are in his game, he does show flashes of great skill that can translate into the nba. Of course i want him back next year because the way he improved at the end of this year, he has the making of an all conference PG if his trajectory continues in that way and we will need a guy who can make a bucket off the dribble even more so than this year.
There's the flip side of striking while the iron is hot. He could come back next year and lay an egg. One of those things.

TrevB11

Wrangler
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
There's the flip side of striking while the iron is hot. He could come back next year and lay an egg. One of those things.
Very good point too, if AA can go and make some good money for he and his family now more power to him, I just get excited thinking about him coming back as the main ballhandler.

Sep 23, 2010
This is the "go back to college" problem. He could lay an egg while maybe making 250K-Million dollars a year as well. A degree is great, but it takes me a long time to make $1million, all while trying something I love to do. So, I see it both ways. Especially if these college keep up the Covid crap, this college experience isn't great.

Sep 23, 2010
He cannot shoot, and he's no where near Marcus Smart in athletic ability, toughness and smarts. Ice ain't doing any back flips.

Before his foot injury, he was a pretty darn good college player. He will still help us if he healthy no doubt.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
To be fair, you have to be pretty damn special to be an NBA prospect. Keep in mind there are only 30 NBA teams with 15 roster spots. So in essence, you have 450 players in the NBA. The NCAA has about 4100 draft eligible every year. This does not include a growing global base of talent and NBA careers being longer, 4.8 years on average. The NCAA estimates a probability of making the NBA as low 1.2%

This is why it kills me when guys that need development leave early. Call-up from the G-league / International Pros that was formerly in the NCAA is pretty rare. Mostly because the NBA has such few spots and a lot of superior talent trying to get those spots.

Sep 23, 2010
To be fair, you have to be pretty damn special to be an NBA prospect. Keep in mind there are only 30 NBA teams with 15 roster spots. So in essence, you have 450 players in the NBA. The NCAA has about 4100 draft eligible every year. This does not include a growing global base of talent and NBA careers being longer, 4.8 years on average. The NCAA estimates a probability of making the NBA as low 1.2%

This is why it kills me when guys that need development leave early. Call-up from the G-league / International Pros that was formerly in the NCAA is pretty rare. Mostly because the NBA has such few spots and a lot of superior talent trying to get those spots.
There are guys who are on the G-League teams now that are on NBA contracts. This changed in 2017. These are guys who need development while being invested in by their NBA teams. I think AA might be able to fall in this category. Not 100% sure obviously. But if you can make this, which is where many 2nd rounders end up, then this is not a bad route either. Question is are you good enough to get to this spot? If not, you might not ever be good enough for the NBA. If my dream was to play in the NBA and I did not value an education or the college experience (which this year, they didn't get near as quality of an experience in both academics and college life), this would be the route I went.

I cannot argue Coach Boynton would do a better job getting a player developed for the NBA as the G-League would. The G-League is teaching the pro game with pro rules. OSU is playing on the line, up the line defense which is non-existent in the NBA. We just adopted some NBA spacing on offense this past season.

Now, if you believe in the value of a degree and the college experience, then I get staying 100%. I personally value that a great deal and understand staying.

https://gleague.nba.com/twowayplayers/

Aug 19, 2006
There are guys who are on the G-League teams now that are on NBA contracts. This changed in 2017. These are guys who need development while being invested in by their NBA teams. I think AA might be able to fall in this category. Not 100% sure obviously. But if you can make this, which is where many 2nd rounders end up, then this is not a bad route either. Question is are you good enough to get to this spot? If not, you might not ever be good enough for the NBA. If my dream was to play in the NBA and I did not value an education or the college experience (which this year, they didn't get near as quality of an experience in both academics and college life), this would be the route I went.

I cannot argue Coach Boynton would do a better job getting a player developed for the NBA as the G-League would. The G-League is teaching the pro game with pro rules. OSU is playing on the line, up the line defense which is non-existent in the NBA. We just adopted some NBA spacing on offense this past season.

Now, if you believe in the value of a degree and the college experience, then I get staying 100%. I personally value that a great deal and understand staying.

https://gleague.nba.com/twowayplayers/
The safety net (to the extent there is one) is playing internationally. If they can't get into or out of the G-League, it's still possible to make a living playing overseas if you're up for that kind of lifestyle.

I'd love to see AA come back to OSU for another season but if it's time to go make some money, I wish him the best of luck.