Athlon rates Big XII coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Yeah, well, it's been 12 years. How much longer do you think he'll need before he sprouts those wings? Maybe he just needs better assistants. Stoops wasnt cutting it any longer despite being a HOFer, he had to shake things up and fire people and hire good ones in replacement. Things really started looking better after that. I think after this much time has passed, we have a good idea of what to expect out of Gundy. I heard about the blake thing and he tried to turn his mediocre ability has a HC into a race thing and i'm glad it didnt go that way, because clearly the guy wasnt ready ,and as it turns out, not HC material.
You do know that Gundy fired his DC at the end of the year right?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
riley choked away the game against UGA. he got cold feet and tried to run out clock despite having the top qb in the country. at best he is 5th behind snyder, gundy, patterson and holgy.

Is this a thread about OU? Alright. Yeah I watched that game. The defense decides not to show up, they lose. That’s how it happens. I expect defense to be improved this upcoming season. Riley is the best OC in the country, no issues with him. Usually 40+ points on one of best Ds in the country is sufficient. Wasn’t this time.

So if you were the AD of a random program you’d hire all those guys over Riley? Lol. Alright.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Yeah, well, it's been 12 years. How much longer do you think he'll need before he sprouts those wings? Maybe he just needs better assistants. Stoops wasnt cutting it any longer despite being a HOFer, he had to shake things up and fire people and hire good ones in replacement. Things really started looking better after that. I think after this much time has passed, we have a good idea of what to expect out of Gundy. I heard about the blake thing and he tried to turn his mediocre ability has a HC into a race thing and i'm glad it didnt go that way, because clearly the guy wasnt ready ,and as it turns out, not HC material.
You do know that Gundy fired his DC at the end of the year right?
Yes I know that.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Since there's been discussion about Gundy, upsets, etc, I decided to look it up rather than just make up stats to back my opinion. Since Gundy took over in 2005...

• 114 W - 53 L (68.3%) overall
  • 91 W – 21 L (81.3%) vs. unranked opponents…includes when oSu is also unranked
  • oSu has been ranked in 96 of 167 games (57.5%)
  • 65 W – 15 L (81.3%) vs. lower/unranked opponents, i.e. we beat who we’re supposed to
  • 23 W - 32 L (41.8%) vs. ranked opponents
  • 12 W - 26 L (31.6%) vs. higher ranked opponents; i.e. upsets
  • 16 W – 17 L (48.5%) when both oSu and opponent were ranked; i.e. ‘big games’
I'll let you guys interpret the stats

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I’d go in this order based on both what they have accomplished and their potential. Don’t get any credit for past stops, doesn’t mean you’ll be successful at your new school.

1. Snyder - Don’t know how this can be debated. Gets 2 star recruits and turns them into NFL players. Almost played for a national championship, just like 2, 3, and 4 on my list.
2. Gundy - Consistently good teams at a place that has had its best run in history by far. Needs to learn to beat OU more consistently.
3. Patterson - Great coach but not sure why everyone ranks him above either of the top 2. He feasted on subpar competition for years and has merely been above average since he got to the Big XII.
4. Riley - Travis Ford effect. Have to show it to me for more than 1 year to pass any of the top 3.
5. Holgerson - Solid record year in, year out but never amount the top teams.
6. Campbell - Does more with less than anybody in the conference besides Snyder, but doesn’t have anything more than an 8-5 record to show for it.
7. Rhule - Dealt a bad hand, can’t judge him too harshly until he actually has a few years to get that program to recover.
8. Herman - I could coach Texas to a 7-6 record.
9. Kingsbury - Coach bro had an NFL QB that Leach never got to have and still couldn’t pull off anything more than a low tier bowl game.
10. Whoever KU is trotting out there now. - I know it’s Beaty.

The thing I like most about the top 3 is they’ve done it the right way and don’t have a bunch of thugs on their team like Stoops’ teams constantly did. Somebody does something wrong, they get kicked off the team regardless of talent level. Old Bob just liked to use his redshirts as punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 19, 2011
I’d go in this order based on both what they have accomplished and their potential. Don’t get any credit for past stops, doesn’t mean you’ll be successful at your new school.

1. Snyder - Don’t know how this can be debated. Gets 2 star recruits and turns them into NFL players. Almost played for a national championship, just like 2, 3, and 4 on my list.
2. Gundy - Consistently good teams at a place that has had its best run in history by far. Needs to learn to beat OU more consistently.
3. Patterson - Great coach but not sure why everyone ranks him above either of the top 2. He feasted on subpar competition for years and has merely been above average since he got to the Big XII.
4. Riley - Travis Ford effect. Have to show it to me for more than 1 year to pass any of the top 3.
5. Holgerson - Solid record year in, year out but never amount the top teams.
6. Campbell - Does more with less than anybody in the conference besides Snyder, but doesn’t have anything more than an 8-5 record to show for it.
7. Rhule - Dealt a bad hand, can’t judge him too harshly until he actually has a few years to get that program to recover.
8. Herman - I could coach Texas to a 7-6 record.
9. Kingsbury - Coach bro had an NFL QB that Leach never got to have and still couldn’t pull off anything more than a low tier bowl game.
10. Whoever KU is trotting out there now. - I know it’s Beaty.

The thing I like most about the top 3 is they’ve done it the right way and don’t have a bunch of thugs on their team like Stoops’ teams constantly did. Somebody does something wrong, they get kicked off the team regardless of talent level. Old Bob just liked to use his redshirts as punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that your reason why OU won 10 Big 12 championships when Bob was coach? Better players will make a coach look pretty smart most of the time!

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Is that your reason why OU won 10 Big 12 championships when Bob was coach? Better players will make a coach look pretty smart most of the time!
I think the point was that those 10 B12's were done while having many star players on the roster that other disciplinarian coaches (Snyder, Gundy, Patterson) would have kicked off or at least given more than a token punishment. See: Peterson, Broyles, Mayfield, Dvoracek, Mixon, etc.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
It should be noted that while there were a few guys who probably should have been gone, that seems to be more present in the minds of people rather than the dozens of players Stoops has removed from the team. Not just 5th stringers, i'm talking 5 stars, 4 stars, starters, guys on the 2 deep, guys with high ceilings etc. There have been some very very inconvenient dismissals as well as suspensions from the team at very inopportune times. For every big name player he's opted to keep, he's dismissed one. But not trying to get this one on b&f

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Gundy did get rid of Glenn Spencer and hired a new D.C. We’ll have to see how that works out.