Athlon rates Big XII coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'd move Snyder up to #1 but other than that, I don't have much of a problem with the list. As someone else already pointed out, there are three clear tiers (1-3, 4-6, 7-10) and where the coaches fall on their respective tiers is certainly debatable but which coaches belong on which tiers is far less so.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Obviously you can’t read and comprehend. But then again, you are Cro.
you're right, you "implied" that he was better and said you would take him over Gundy........ regardless, it's a dumb f'n statement........ which is cool........ you're dumb ass comments are what keep this board going during the slow months......

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
you're right, you "implied" that he was better and said you would take him over Gundy........ regardless, it's a dumb f'n statement........ which is cool........ you're dumb ass comments are what keep this board going during the slow months......
You should have just stopped after “you’re right”

Yes. I would take him over Gundy. He has proven he can win vs better teams. Gundy....not so much. Gundy has proven he will lose to lessor teams

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

Yes. I would take him over Gundy. He has proven he can win vs better teams. Gundy....not so much. Gundy has proven he will lose to lessor teams
keep providing banter for the board. like i said, it's the boring months, any and all hilarity is welcome

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

Can't tell if serious.

Have Gundy's team been upset? Yes, but not that often. Has he upset other teams? Yes, many many times.

Jan 2, 2005

Everyone has a right this their opinion. if you were the AD and made that decision, given your reasoning, it is likely you would not have a job in 3 years.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Re: Riley - One good year with another coach's team and a star QB doesn't vault him to the top of the pack for coaching. Sorry, but I'm not buying the hype just yet. Talk to me in 3-5 years when he's maintained that level.

As for Campbell, if he can't beat Gundy, how is he better than him? He's compiled an 11-14 record with a couple of upsets. You cannot be serious.
Dont for get half that team he built. The offense, which for the most part was the only side of the ball that was actually doing good things most last season. He kept cohesion with the staff and players, maintained their level of play even after what could have been a season ending loss. And that doesnt get into the ridiculous recruiting efforts he's putting up. only took him one season to get a leg up on the rivalry and achieve same number of rings as gundy. You guys are gonna hate him for a long time.

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Dont for get half that team he built. The offense, which for the most part was the only side of the ball that was actually doing good things most last season. He kept cohesion with the staff and players, maintained their level of play even after what could have been a season ending loss. And that doesnt get into the ridiculous recruiting efforts he's putting up. only took him one season to get a leg up on the rivalry and achieve same number of rings as gundy. You guys are gonna hate him for a long time.
So you're saying you'd rank him ahead of Matt Campbell?

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
So you're saying you'd rank him ahead of Matt Campbell?
I think Campbell is a good coach and a more proven commodity at this point, so if we are going over that then no. But if you look at what Riley has done, and what he's doing he's a real hot commodity right now. I bet you'd find most ADs would hire Riley over him before you even sat down to finish the question

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I didnt say he was better....although it is implied. What I said was that I would take Campbell over him. And given equal teams, Campbell would win more than lose heads up IMO. He’s just better at gameplanning and motivating while coaching on the sidelines. It’s like night and day.
We'll see I would slow ur roll on Campbell. He went 7-5. OU didn't care when they played Iowa state..nobodyhardly cares. Iowa State blows. Iowa state will go no better than 6-6 this year.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Can't tell if serious.

Have Gundy's team been upset? Yes, but not that often. Has he upset other teams? Yes, many many times.
Gundy has more upsets against him than for him. Your comment that he has upset teams many times yet isn’t upset that often is comical.

Without looking it up, I’m pretty sure in all of our losses last year we were favored.....and I’m confident we were double digit favorites in 2 of those. And I’m pretty sure we didn’t beat anyone we should not have. So big FAIL on your part.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
Gundy has more upsets against him than for him. Your comment that he has upset teams many times yet isn’t upset that often is comical.

Without looking it up, I’m pretty sure in all of our losses last year we were favored.....and I’m confident we were double digit favorites in 2 of those. And I’m pretty sure we didn’t beat anyone we should not have. So big FAIL on your part.
Actually I went ahead and looked it up. ZERO upset wins for Gundy in 2017 as expected.

Attachments

Jostate

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Actually I went ahead and looked it up. ZERO upset wins for Gundy in 2017 as expected.
Last year we performed worse relative to expectations more than most years under Gundy. Which means 2 things,:

We are at a point where a 10 win season could be disappointing.

You were thrilled.