Assistant coaches contracts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/financial-statements.html
OSU's football ticket sales revenue by year:
2014: $18.5M
2015: $16.3M
2016: $17.8M
2017: $14.9M
2018: $11.8M
2019: $10.4M
2020: $10.5M

Success plays a big part in driving ticket sales revenue in any program. We're making roughly $8 million less per year now than we were during the peak of the Gundy era. Letting a popular coordinator like Knowles leave over a few hundred thousand could end up costing us millions in potential revenue.

I'm a diehard fan and I'll have season tickets regardless of success level. A lot of people don't fall into this category though, and we need everyone to fill BPS consistently.
Ticket sales were reported differently a few years ago. All ticket prices are $200 then the contribution is different per seat. So, it looks like ticket revenue went way down.
https://tickets.okstate.com/wp-cont...otball-Season-Ticket-Prices-v2-1-1024x791.png

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
LOL at LSU going after Knowles to be their head coach, whoever said that is delusional. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LSU comes after Gundy as one of their top choices
I don't see LSU coming after Gundy his record against OU probably knocks him out of contention. Also doubt he would go, to much pressure to win there, doesn't have that pressure here. Make a bowl game all is good.
Great example……….. of a college football fan totally out of touch with reality. Every program has them. Unfortunately, we’re not immune and there is no vaccination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If Knowles goes anywhere other than as a head coach or as DC at one of the "elites", then I will see it as an abject failure by our schools leadership. Pay whatever it takes to take a lateral move completely out of play.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
LSU will probably go hard after Jimbo Fisher, because their AD hired him at Texas A&M. If he turns them down, they could look at guys like Fickell, Napier, & Aranda. I don't see them hiring a coordinator unless it's a big name like Bill O'Brien from Alabama.

I don't think Coach Knowles would be a candidate for a job like LSU or USC, but he might be a candidate to replace whoever they hire. I could see a program like Louisiana going after him if they lost Napier.

It's always interesting to see the coaching carousel turn. Hopefully we'll be able to retain our coaching staff, but there are worse problems to have than other programs wanting your coaches.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
The Athletic’s Brody Miller reported that Orgeron was accused of hitting on the pregnant wife of an LSU official at a gas station, adding to the newly single Orgeron’s interactions with women that brought distractions to the program.
Orgeron filed for divorce from his wife in April 2020 after 23 years, but Larry Brown Sports reports the two had been living apart for a few months before the divorce filing.
That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward,” Miller reports.
As Les Miles experienced it....that's why its called Death Valley.

Wise leaders did lose temperaments and judgments.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Gonna be tough to keep him I think. He loses so many seniors off this defense, if he is looking around, this would be the time to go.
I'll be happy for him if he gets a headcoaching job, but I'll be upset if he leaves to be a coordinator somewhere else. I'm sure it didn't help when Coach Holder asked him to take a 40% paycut last year, but hopefully he has a better relationship with Weiberg. If I were him, I would extend his contract ASAP. This program has a ton of momentum on the defensive side of the ball, and we need to do everything we can to maintain it.
Coaches all over the country were having to take pay cuts last year. And Gundy took a pay cut to help make sure that the coordinators didn't have to take as much of one as originally thought.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Ludicrous, you are the one championing a raise, I would like facts. Let me help you - find Universities that have our budget level for athletics, then find what the D coordinator makes - fact 2
First fact: Are you a season ticket holder? Unanswered, why it is a simple 2 or 3 letter tap on the phone or keyboard.
I will be unavailable the remainder of the evening. Cooking Halibut (that is fish) and celebrating my Sister's birthday.
Ludicrous is your contention that someone has to have season tickets to have an opinion on what might be good or necessary for OSU football. I don't think I've ever agreed with @donnieh on any other subject, but I believe he's right on this.

But first: yes, I am a season ticket holder for football, basketball and baseball. I drive an hour and 45 minutes each way for each event. I haven't missed a football home game in 12 years (and I lived in Houston area for 3 of those years, so the drive was nearly 9 hours each way). At one time I had 8 season tickets, which are now spread between family members as they aged/married. My "group," none of which had season tickets before I got them involved, now has a bloc of 18 seats together. I have approximately $6000 of tailgate gear (with significant contributions from others in the group). My wife, kids and I have been to 6 bowl games and my wife and I, plus others in our group, have been to away games at 7 of our 9 current conference mates.

None of that means crap in reality, but was just hoping it might meet your criteria for having an opinion.

If you don't think we should pay Knowles at/near $1 mil/year, you're out of your effing mind - in my opinion, of course. And I don't care if others in our budget range aren't doing so - we are competing far above most in our budget range, and can continue to do so with defense like we've seen from Knowles' group this season. Maybe we have to tighten our belts other places to come up with the difference, but it still needs to happen.
I mean I'm sure you can speak up for himself and may already have I'm just now getting through this thread. But his point about is being a season ticket holder is if that's the case then you are contributing money to the athletic department, and so yeah maybe you should have a voice in regards to the financial matters such as what coordinators are paid. In other words you have skin in the game regarding the finances. I can give my opinion on things all I want, but I'm not a season ticket holder, I'm not a big donor and I don't give money to the college. So I stay back from these kind of conversations especially conversations where people act like it's expected that we have tons of cash laying around.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
Coaches all over the country were having to take pay cuts last year. And Gundy took a pay cut to help make sure that the coordinators didn't have to take as much of one as originally thought.

Is it a possibility that there may be some animosity between the administration and particularly the assistant coaches of the football team with the way negotiations were handled during that time?

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
LOL at LSU going after Knowles to be their head coach, whoever said that is delusional. However, I wouldn't be surprised at all if LSU comes after Gundy as one of their top choices
I believe Gundy has expressed that he has one more kid to graduate from Stillwater high, and the stability of being able to be in one place for long enough to graduate multiple children from the same school, has been a wonderful thing to him. I don't think he is going to even express interest in leaving until that last Gundy is out of Stillwater high.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I mean I'm sure you can speak up for himself and may already have I'm just now getting through this thread. But his point about is being a season ticket holder is if that's the case then you are contributing money to the athletic department, and so yeah maybe you should have a voice in regards to the financial matters such as what coordinators are paid. In other words you have skin in the game regarding the finances. I can give my opinion on things all I want, but I'm not a season ticket holder, I'm not a big donor and I don't give money to the college. So I stay back from these kind of conversations especially conversations where people act like it's expected that we have tons of cash laying around.

The point of this post was just to discuss the reality of keeping coaches and specifically Knowles. It is spurned by all the coaching changes that are fixing to take place.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
The point of this post was just to discuss the reality of keeping coaches and specifically Knowles. It is spurned by all the coaching changes that are fixing to take place.
And the only reason I brought it up is because of what Brock Martin said in the post game locker room interview and RA’s response to it. And then what RA had to say on his radio show about it on Monday.

Apr 27, 2006
I think Gundy is going to be mentioned in these big time job openings like USC, LSU and Florida if they end up firing Mullen, he is a proven winner who is also having a great year, and overachieving this season in the eyes of many. Not sure if he will leave or not but I expect the rumors to be flying, especially if we beat Iowa State this week. If the Florida job opens that will legitimately worry me that he would actually bolt
Rumors of interest from other schools always fly when it comes to Gundy it is his MO for obtaining a raise.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
If Knowles goes anywhere other than as a head coach or as DC at one of the "elites", then I will see it as an abject failure by our schools leadership. Pay whatever it takes to take a lateral move completely out of play.
It’s when nobody wants our coaches that I start worrying. Other coaches have seen our assistants turn their stay at OSU into lucrative offers from blue bloods. It’s great if we keep him, but if a big name program lures him away we can use it in a positive way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And the only reason I brought it up is because of what Brock Martin said in the post game locker room interview and RA’s response to it. And then what RA had to say on his radio show about it on Monday.
That's fine. I just don't think it does much to even act like there is money growing on trees around here. Seems stupid honestly.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Actually, I wasn't even responding to you directly anyway.

Jun 5, 2020
OKC
https://adminfinance.okstate.edu/financial-statements.html
OSU's football ticket sales revenue by year:
2014: $18.5M
2015: $16.3M
2016: $17.8M
2017: $14.9M
2018: $11.8M
2019: $10.4M
2020: $10.5M

Success plays a big part in driving ticket sales revenue in any program. We're making roughly $8 million less per year now than we were during the peak of the Gundy era. Letting a popular coordinator like Knowles leave over a few hundred thousand could end up costing us millions in potential revenue.

I'm a diehard fan and I'll have season tickets regardless of success level. A lot of people don't fall into this category though, and we need everyone to fill BPS consistently.
Football covers every other sport - Including Head
If the money is there, he deserves it. That’s all I was saying. :rolleyes:
And that is just it. The $ ain't there for your $1M chant. With Covid and loss of revenue the last what -- 18 months plus Texas and the University of Texas @ Norman leaving the conference a big haircut on Tely rev (granted we don't know how much yet) but the projections are not good. The reference to ticket holder - tickets will increase - period. All folks complaining about - what does a ticket holder vs. not have to do with my opinion is very short sighted.
You can come on this sight and Bitch and Complain but you have no skin in the game. If, as some have claimed, too far to come to games - seems you are close enough to complain - just DONATE - it is simple.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com