Assistant coaches contracts

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 2, 2008
SC
Robert Allen regarding assistant coaches contracts and what Brock Martin said.

“I told Mike Gundy about it because I felt like he needed to know. That way we could have made an adjustment and cut it off. But at the end of our interview with Brock Martin in the post game show he said, “I hope that the university will get this deal done with coach Knowles and it needs to be one point something”.

RA went on to allude that most if not all of the coaching staff contracts expire after this year.

It seemed to me that RA doesn’t think Brock should have an opinion on it and hinted that he didn’t think Knowles has earned that type of money yet.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I agree with his comment. Coach Knowles has proven himself to be an elite coordinator. He deserves to be rewarded. It's insane that he's making the same salary as Coach Dunn. Chad Weiberg needs to lock him up and make sure that he only leaves for a head coaching job.

OkstateKerr

Territorial Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I agree with his comment. Coach Knowles has proven himself to be an elite coordinator. He deserves to be rewarded. It's insane that he's making the same salary as Coach Dunn. Chad Weiberg needs to lock him up and make sure that he only leaves for a head coaching job.
IMO (as a football coach) the most important part of being a defensive coordinator is to get kids to believe your system is the right system and that it works. Knowles does that in spades. Brock Martin’s comments show me that this defense believes in him and play hard for him. Pay him whatever he wants.

Nov 6, 2010
Gonna be tough to keep him I think. He loses so many seniors off this defense, if he is looking around, this would be the time to go.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Gonna be tough to keep him I think. He loses so many seniors off this defense, if he is looking around, this would be the time to go.
Head coaching job at OSU.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
I'll be happy for him if he gets a headcoaching job, but I'll be upset if he leaves to be a coordinator somewhere else. I'm sure it didn't help when Coach Holder asked him to take a 40% paycut last year, but hopefully he has a better relationship with Weiberg. If I were him, I would extend his contract ASAP. This program has a ton of momentum on the defensive side of the ball, and we need to do everything we can to maintain it.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
IMO (as a football coach) the most important part of being a defensive coordinator is to get kids to believe your system is the right system and that it works. Knowles does that in spades. Brock Martin’s comments show me that this defense believes in him and play hard for him. Pay him whatever he wants.
It's a two-way street, though. Part of getting kids to believe in your system is for them to see it working. They see it working when good schemes are utilized for the personnel and good calls are made in games for the situation. Knowles has so far been great at getting the right guys in the right spot to succeed, therefore the players trust his judgement.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I have to think they've already got their guy the way they're moving on so quickly from Ed O.
The Athletic’s Brody Miller reported that Orgeron was accused of hitting on the pregnant wife of an LSU official at a gas station, adding to the newly single Orgeron’s interactions with women that brought distractions to the program.
Orgeron filed for divorce from his wife in April 2020 after 23 years, but Larry Brown Sports reports the two had been living apart for a few months before the divorce filing.
That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward,” Miller reports.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
The Athletic’s Brody Miller reported that Orgeron was accused of hitting on the pregnant wife of an LSU official at a gas station, adding to the newly single Orgeron’s interactions with women that brought distractions to the program.
Orgeron filed for divorce from his wife in April 2020 after 23 years, but Larry Brown Sports reports the two had been living apart for a few months before the divorce filing.
That woman was the wife of a high-ranking LSU official. Word of this reached the LSU Board of Supervisors, the collection of prominent Louisiana attorneys and business owners appointed by the governor who make the most important decisions at LSU. And of course, it reached LSU athletic director Scott Woodward,” Miller reports.
Damn…..

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Will he really be losing that much, though? Let's look.

Gundy has said Brock Martin will come back next season to finish his Master's and I assume Tre Sterling would use a medical RS to return as well. Off the top of my head, the defense could return:

Brock Martin
Trace Ford
Tyler Lacy
Jayden Jernigan
Colin Oliver
Tre Sterling
Jason Taylor
Thomas Harper

And then young, promising/inexperienced players like:

Collin Clay
Aden Kelley
Kendal Daniels
Mason Cobb
Lamont Bishop
Jabarr Muhammad
Korie Black

The defense should be very good next year and, if they could get some quality transfers to bolster depth at LB and CB, potentially just as good.

The defensive line should be spectacular.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2011
He has nothing to do with the offense. If you present the stats the defense has put up, LSU along with most other SEC teams would cream their pants.
I'll try this again.
I believe Knowles would be an excellent coach, and would welcome him taking over here when the time comes. For selfish reasons, I hope he stays for a while.
LSU fans are not reasonable, so regardless of his coaching abilities (again, I think he rocks) his NAME/REPUTATION ALONE does not have that wow factor that fans would want.
The fans are stupid.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I'll try this again.
I believe Knowles would be an excellent coach, and would welcome him taking over here when the time comes. For selfish reasons, I hope he stays for a while.
LSU fans are not reasonable, so regardless of his coaching abilities (again, I think he rocks) his NAME/REPUTATION ALONE does not have that wow factor that fans would want.
The fans are stupid.
Did Les Miles really have a name/reputation?