Any way we could get Tom Herman as OC?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
No offense, but I cannot believe anyone on here would actually want Herman to coach for us in any capacity. The guy is a grade A dewsh, and freaking as weird as they come, not to mention all the baggage during his time at Ohio State, and his embarrassing sideline antics. His own players don’t like or believe in him, hence the mass decommitments/transfers, and some on here would like to have him? We ain’t that hard up.
This is a winner and dead on

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
No offense, but I cannot believe anyone on here would actually want Herman to coach for us in any capacity. The guy is a grade A dewsh, and freaking as weird as they come, not to mention all the baggage during his time at Ohio State, and his embarrassing sideline antics. His own players don’t like or believe in him, hence the mass decommitments/transfers, and some on here would like to have him? We ain’t that hard up.
I would take Tom Herman over the current head coach. The dude wins.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Wins? You have to be kidding. With that roster he had no business losing more than 2 games a season. Instead, he went 32-18 in four years. Gundy, you know, the guy you want to fire, went 33-17 over the same time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.
I'd happily donate a couple hundred if we could make a play for Herman. He might just take it if we could offer at least $2 million, and also considering that Gundy won't coach forever.

There is probably not a better offensive coach available right now. Hard to fault a guy for failing to turn Texas around. Dunn could stay Co-OC or whatever who really cares lol.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
There should at least be real consideration given to bringing back Yurcich though.
I was not a Yurich fan when we saw his play calling early at OSU, but it turns out that he never got to run his offense. He ran exactly what Gundy wanted him to run (#gundyball). Remember how we were all excited about the creativity and exotic formations that Yurcich was going to bring to OSU from his time at Shippensburg, but then we never saw any of it? We looked vanilla, but got bailed out a million times by guys that could win jump balls. And it never really changed. Its exactly the same now as it was then, even when we brought in Gleeson, who was supposed to also use really exotic formations and creative red zone play calling. We still just ran 5 plays from simple formations that didn't work well.

Texas didn't look like that this year. They used the whole field, and generally didn't look like #gundyball.

As insane as I feel typing this, I'd actually support bringing Yurcich back IF he was allowed to run his offense the way he sees fit instead of running the 5-play Gundy playbook from 1987.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
There should at least be real consideration given to bringing back Yurcich though.
I was not a Yurich fan when we saw his play calling early at OSU, but it turns out that he never got to run his offense. He ran exactly what Gundy wanted him to run (#gundyball). Remember how we were all excited about the creativity and exotic formations that Yurcich was going to bring to OSU from his time at Shippensburg, but then we never saw any of it? We looked vanilla, but got bailed out a million times by guys that could win jump balls. And it never really changed. Its exactly the same now as it was then, even when we brought in Gleeson, who was supposed to also use really exotic formations and creative red zone play calling. We still just ran 5 plays from simple formations that didn't work well.

Texas didn't look like that this year. They used the whole field, and generally didn't look like #gundyball.

As insane as I feel typing this, I'd actually support bringing Yurcich back IF he was allowed to run his offense the way he sees fit instead of running the 5-play Gundy playbook from 1987.
Pure fantasy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I agree with the premise, just not Herman. And I doubt he'd consider such a downgrade. He will likely land another HC gig somewhere at a school with less expectations, but would view him as a solid hire.

Graham Harrell is the name I'd be most excited about.
I love the idea of Graham Harrell but there is no way that such a rising star is coming to Stillwater to work under Mike Gundy. Now, replacing Gundy is another thing altogether but probably not happening this offseason.

It's really unfortunate that we can't even get a competent OC to come here and work under Gundy, let alone stay for longer than 2 years, which of course Gundy blames on everything but himself.

Jun 13, 2010
Chicago
I am not a Gundy supporter and I hate his act. However, underneath that act may be a fairly normal human being. Herman is not acting. He's down right full loon. Stay far away from Stillwater.
Do those of you who personally dislike Herman realize that every coach in the Playoffs is a sociopath? (Except maybe Lincoln Riley)

Coaches who have the drive to win not just enough, but A LOT, typically do have a screw loose. Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes, Steve Spurrier, Mike Leach, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Chip Kelley... they're all clinically insane.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Do those of you who personally dislike Herman realize that every coach in the Playoffs is a sociopath? (Except maybe Lincoln Riley)

Coaches who have the drive to win not just enough, but A LOT, typically do have a screw loose. Barry Switzer, Woody Hayes, Steve Spurrier, Mike Leach, Nick Saban, Dabo Swinney, Chip Kelley... they're all clinically insane.
Mike Leach, and Chip Kelly win alot?

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I'd happily donate a couple hundred if we could make a play for Herman. He might just take it if we could offer at least $2 million, and also considering that Gundy won't coach forever.

There is probably not a better offensive coach available right now. Hard to fault a guy for failing to turn Texas around. Dunn could stay Co-OC or whatever who really cares lol.
I don't think winning means what you think it means. Herman is a complete ass douche. Pissed off his players, his coaches, the administration, donors, cheated on his wife, and most of all, cannot coach at or above his recruiting class ranking. Anyone thinking Herman is a good fit at OSU needs to be kept away from booze and power tools.

He'll go to Alabama for 2 or 3 years as the OC and then we'll find out if he's actually learned anything.