Andrew Yang for Mayor of NYC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I think this guy nails the main reason behind the timing of Yang’s announcement. Reason #2 was that even with strong name recognition he could not appeal to enough Dem voters in NYC.
https://twitter.com/jamesfrye/status/1445045868118282246?s=21

Shocking that he would write a book about issues with the political parties and America and that we need a new party that he is starting and at the SAME TIME announce he is leaving one of the parties he called out.

It is like writing a book about the keto diet then announcing the surprising news that you are indeed eating a keto diet. So disingenuous doing what you say. I suppose we aren't accustomed to that from a politician.
Oh you mean obviously doing something to promote his book? Politicians never do that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Oh you mean obviously doing something to promote his book? Politicians never do that.

So, you would expect him to stay a Democrat while writing a book about the problems of the parties to avoid doing something to promote his book? Ok, sure.
If only people like you were 10% as cynical about the shenanigans of the party you support this country would be better off.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

So, you would expect him to stay a Democrat while writing a book about the problems of the parties to avoid doing something to promote his book? Ok, sure.
If only people like you were 10% as cynical about the shenanigans of the party you support this country would be better off.
Sarcasm... Thus the laughing face at the end......

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
That could be said about everyone. Term limits

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I've been all for term limits since I was probably about oh 25 to 30, somewhere in there. Been a while.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Great way to remove power from individual politicians… and give it all to the lobbyists. I’m good with term limits, but they aren’t a total panacea for the issues in Washington.
Keep the term limits reasonable so the people can establish themselves a little bit, then rotate the elections for seats so that you don't dump half the group all at once potentially, and reform or do away with lobbying.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Great way to remove power from individual politicians… and give it all to the lobbyists. I’m good with term limits, but they aren’t a total panacea for the issues in Washington.
Teleworking would make lobbying really tough.

Nov 23, 2010
Incumbency advantage is weakening on its own too.

Then there is the problem of how many new congresspeople are definitively worse than those they replaced.

Mar 11, 2006
Worth five minutes.

Agree that was worth five minutes.

I wish him the best as I certainly agree we need a challenge and a change to our two-party system. I hope he succeeds, but I am dubious that he can carry the message. He seems like a more sincere and less liberal Beto O’Rourke.
Or another comparison is John Kasich. Like Kasich, Yang is smart and logical. But both are not overly dynamic.

His problem is his support is from such a small demographic.
No other Democrat Pres candidate in 2020 polled worse with females.
No other Dem Pres candidate polled worse with middle age and seniors.
He led all candidates early on for NYC Mayor, due to name recognition, and then his support plummeted.
He has never successfully explained how UBI could be funded long-term.
He has mentioned “human centered economy” for awhile now. Has that resonated with anything other than a small demographic?

I like Yang because I feel he truly believes what he says. I also love the polyannish desire for UBI - in a utopian society that would be great, but without stating a long-term and fair funding source, I think he should shelve that idea.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Agree that was worth five minutes.

I wish him the best as I certainly agree we need a challenge and a change to our two-party system. I hope he succeeds, but I am dubious that he can carry the message. He seems like a more sincere and less liberal Beto O’Rourke.
Or another comparison is John Kasich. Like Kasich, Yang is smart and logical. But both are not overly dynamic.

His problem is his support is from such a small demographic.
No other Democrat Pres candidate in 2020 polled worse with females.
No other Dem Pres candidate polled worse with middle age and seniors.
He led all candidates early on for NYC Mayor, due to name recognition, and then his support plummeted.
He has never successfully explained how UBI could be funded long-term.
He has mentioned “human centered economy” for awhile now. Has that resonated with anything other than a small demographic?

I like Yang because I feel he truly believes what he says. I also love the polyannish desire for UBI - in a utopian society that would be great, but without stating a long-term and fair funding source, I think he should shelve that idea.
I like this role as trying to start a movement better than being a candidate. If he can get this rolling, the dynamic candidates will come.

He has stated the funding for a UBI. And, while I think he had to mention it because many if his followers are all about the UBI, it does seem he is downplaying it and I suspect it will be in the back burner while he gets the voting issue to the forefront.

It has been said that the reason the direct cash payments were at the forefront of the Covid response was because of the popularity of his campaign going from a nobody to the debate stage.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I like this role as trying to start a movement better than being a candidate. If he can get this rolling, the dynamic candidates will come.

He has stated the funding for a UBI. And, while I think he had to mention it because many if his followers are all about the UBI, it does seem he is downplaying it and I suspect it will be in the back burner while he gets the voting issue to the forefront.

It has been said that the reason the direct cash payments were at the forefront of the Covid response was because of the popularity of his campaign going from a nobody to the debate stage.
I would likely vote for him on the alternative party initiative alone, but his ideas related to fixing the broken system resonate with me. I'm not a huge believer in or supporter of UBI at this juncture, but will reluctantly admit that it is a very likely necessity within the next 30-50 years. He's being legitimately progressive with that, which is probably best.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Andrew Yang explains why he's leaving the Democratic Party | Fox News

Andrew Yang explains why he's leaving the Democratic Party

"Our country is facing a lot of challenges, and I think that more and more Americans are waking up to the fact that we’re not being set up for success, starting with the fact that we’re being pitted against each other and see other Americans as our mortal enemies when they’re not," Yang told Fox News.