Andrew Yang for Mayor of NYC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
What do you think of Andrew Yang's UBI proposal for NYC?

"Yang’s New York City proposal is not nearly as expansive as the “Freedom Dividend” of $1,000 a month for all American adults he pitched as a presidential hopeful. And it would not be “universal,” instead targeting half a million of New York City’s lowest-income residents. Recipients would receive an average of $2,000 annually, depending on income, costing the city $1 billion a year, with the potential for expansion through private funding."

If NYC had a spare $1 billion would this be the best use of it?

Sep 12, 2008
Andrew Yang, currently the dem front-runner for mayor of NYC, lost the support of a prominent LGBTG group this week..

"The group, the Stonewall Democrats of New York City, is supporting New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer, one of Yang’s leading rivals ahead of the June primaries. The endorsement came after what was described as a "cringeworthy" interview between Yang and members of the group on Wednesday evening."

"It was like he never met a gay person in his life, even though he kept reminding us people on his staff were gay," Doran told NBC News. "It was like tokenizing us."

It will be an interesting race.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think he necessarily created a dreary picture, but automation is coming for many current jobs. That said automation will also create a lot of new jobs (network security becomes even more vital), but probably little doubt that the net effect is less jobs. I do think we will see self-driving semi-trucks likely in next 20 years as infrastructure is built to support. And once that occurs you tie that into home delivery services that are built on much more automated engines -- jobs at many stores will migrate and some will vanish.

I am not yet convinced Yang is more than a one-trick pony, but I do appreciate he is at least speaking about a trick that is different than we see from other candidates from both sides of the aisle.

EDIT: I did not intentionally copy the first sentence of @OSU79. Was typing my reply at same time. :)
It's the age old Luddite debate. Somehow we keep creating new jobs. Of course it explains why you can go to Bed Bath and Beyond and see 6 different styles of salad spinners.

Jul 23, 2018
USA
What do you think of Andrew Yang's UBI proposal for NYC?

"Yang’s New York City proposal is not nearly as expansive as the “Freedom Dividend” of $1,000 a month for all American adults he pitched as a presidential hopeful. And it would not be “universal,” instead targeting half a million of New York City’s lowest-income residents. Recipients would receive an average of $2,000 annually, depending on income, costing the city $1 billion a year, with the potential for expansion through private funding."

If NYC had a spare $1 billion would this be the best use of it?
This is more to address the national question. The concept of a UBI, or similar, has been around for centuries. In this modern era of checkbook democracy, this would be an economic disaster for our country. No thanks.

A Brief History of Basic Income Ideas (ubi-europe.net)

Sep 12, 2008
Andrew Yang has lost some momentum going into today's primary.. he is in either 2nd or 4th place depending on what poll you believe.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Andrew Yang has lost some momentum going into today's primary.. he is in either 2nd or 4th place depending on what poll you believe.
Do those polls take ranked choice voting into consideration? I have to think that makes polling way more complicated. But I think it’s a great voting method.

Sep 12, 2008
Wasn't meant to be for Yang. What next?

Meanwhile back in NYC... its

(R) Curtis Sliwa - Guardian Angels founder versus (D) Eric Adams - a retired NYPD

Maybe New Yorkers are tired of crime after all.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
“Everyone knows that every layer you put in place in the process, you lose Black and brown voters and participation,” Adams said in an interview with Politico in November 2020. “We can’t disenfranchise those voters."

1, I thought only republicans tried to disenfranchise minorities, wasn't this system put in place in a heavily blue state?

2, he comes up with the same tired excuse: he believes that minorities are too dumb (compared to whites), to understand changes to election laws.

Honestly, the first time something like this is explained, I would assume most people to kind of have a blank face about how it truly works, no matter the color of their skin. Unless they are someone that is deep into understanding politics and elections.

Edit: let me clarify a quick note. RCV in its basic form isn't confusing. To me what would confuse the voters is the rounds of elimination that occur to get rid of the lower candidates each time as they work their way towards the end result.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
That's a bad look. Maine has ranked voting and it works just fine. If voters want true 3rd party representation ranked choice voting is an important step, so it really sucks that NYC is blowing it here.
Blowing it, or just a guy that might lose, causing a scene?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 12, 2008
Former presidential and New York mayoral candidate Andrew Yang reportedly no longer identifies as a Democrat and will soon launch a third party.

Two people close to Yang told Politico that the former candidate will launch the third party with the release of his upcoming on October 5, Forward: Notes on the Future of Our Democracy. The exact name of his party and its rollout remains unknown as of this writing.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Former presidential and New York mayoral candidate Andrew Yang reportedly no longer identifies as a Democrat and will soon launch a third party.

Two people close to Yang told Politico that the former candidate will launch the third party with the release of his upcoming on October 5, Forward: Notes on the Future of Our Democracy. The exact name of his party and its rollout remains unknown as of this writing.
Good. Hopefully he finds mainstream momentum. You get something like Yang Kasich vs Trump and someone like Booker that's an easy vote for me. If I'm being realistic his best case scenario is he pulls a Perot and nothing comes of it, but I've spent the last 3 elections either voting against someone or being really indifferent to the result. Even if it's a wasted vote I'd really like to actually vote for someone.