Andrew Yang for Mayor of NYC

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 12, 2008
What do you think of Andrew Yang's UBI proposal for NYC?

"Yang’s New York City proposal is not nearly as expansive as the “Freedom Dividend” of $1,000 a month for all American adults he pitched as a presidential hopeful. And it would not be “universal,” instead targeting half a million of New York City’s lowest-income residents. Recipients would receive an average of $2,000 annually, depending on income, costing the city $1 billion a year, with the potential for expansion through private funding."

If NYC had a spare $1 billion would this be the best use of it?

Sep 12, 2008
Andrew Yang, currently the dem front-runner for mayor of NYC, lost the support of a prominent LGBTG group this week..

"The group, the Stonewall Democrats of New York City, is supporting New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer, one of Yang’s leading rivals ahead of the June primaries. The endorsement came after what was described as a "cringeworthy" interview between Yang and members of the group on Wednesday evening."

"It was like he never met a gay person in his life, even though he kept reminding us people on his staff were gay," Doran told NBC News. "It was like tokenizing us."

It will be an interesting race.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I don't think he necessarily created a dreary picture, but automation is coming for many current jobs. That said automation will also create a lot of new jobs (network security becomes even more vital), but probably little doubt that the net effect is less jobs. I do think we will see self-driving semi-trucks likely in next 20 years as infrastructure is built to support. And once that occurs you tie that into home delivery services that are built on much more automated engines -- jobs at many stores will migrate and some will vanish.

I am not yet convinced Yang is more than a one-trick pony, but I do appreciate he is at least speaking about a trick that is different than we see from other candidates from both sides of the aisle.

EDIT: I did not intentionally copy the first sentence of @OSU79. Was typing my reply at same time. :)
It's the age old Luddite debate. Somehow we keep creating new jobs. Of course it explains why you can go to Bed Bath and Beyond and see 6 different styles of salad spinners.

Jul 23, 2018
USA
What do you think of Andrew Yang's UBI proposal for NYC?

"Yang’s New York City proposal is not nearly as expansive as the “Freedom Dividend” of $1,000 a month for all American adults he pitched as a presidential hopeful. And it would not be “universal,” instead targeting half a million of New York City’s lowest-income residents. Recipients would receive an average of $2,000 annually, depending on income, costing the city $1 billion a year, with the potential for expansion through private funding."

If NYC had a spare $1 billion would this be the best use of it?
This is more to address the national question. The concept of a UBI, or similar, has been around for centuries. In this modern era of checkbook democracy, this would be an economic disaster for our country. No thanks.

A Brief History of Basic Income Ideas (ubi-europe.net)