And you thought it was Trump.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
What in your mind has Biden done to try and unite America? I'm honestly curious as to what you think he has done at all that is considered unifying and not partisan.
He has been inviting lead Republicans to discuss the infrastructure bill. He extended negotiations instead of trying to ram it through along party lines. He didn’t have that luxury on the Covid relief bill. The lead Republican negotiator said this about Biden:

“I think we can get to real compromise, absolutely, because we're both still in the game,” she said Sunday on Fox News. “The president told me himself, ‘Let's get this done.’ We realize this is not easy. I think we bring every idea that’s on the table into the negotiations to see how we can achieve this and get it across the threshold.”

Meanwhile, former Republican turned Independent Justin Amash wants Biden to be tougher on Republicans.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/20/politics/what-matters-bipartisanship/index.html
Amash's bleak assessment of Capitol Hill is exactly the opposite of what Biden has been pushing, that Republicans can and may very well come to the table to negotiate. That's why Biden has, so far, opposed either pressuring fellow Democrats to upend the filibuster in the Senate, or use parliamentary games to push through what he can.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
He has been inviting lead Republicans to discuss the infrastructure bill. He extended negotiations instead of trying to ram it through along party lines. He didn’t have that luxury on the Covid relief bill. The lead Republican negotiator said this about Biden:

“I think we can get to real compromise, absolutely, because we're both still in the game,” she said Sunday on Fox News. “The president told me himself, ‘Let's get this done.’ We realize this is not easy. I think we bring every idea that’s on the table into the negotiations to see how we can achieve this and get it across the threshold.”

Meanwhile, former Republican turned Independent Justin Amash wants Biden to be tougher on Republicans.

Amash's bleak assessment of Capitol Hill is exactly the opposite of what Biden has been pushing, that Republicans can and may very well come to the table to negotiate. That's why Biden has, so far, opposed either pressuring fellow Democrats to upend the filibuster in the Senate, or use parliamentary games to push through what he can.
How is this different from what Trump did? Didn't have that luxury during covid relief? How so? Because he wanted to score some political 'win'? The previous stimulus money wasn't even SPENT yet!

Aug 16, 2012

Yeah, this is not being done to "unite America", this is being done to get a bill passed. Not the same thing. Not even in the ballpark.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
trump divided America with his constant 'hate speech'...if you are a trump supporter, I will not change your mind; nor will my mind change...agree to disagree...he set a terrible example of how to treat others that disagree with him; and will take a few years (or many) to change course...the hatred I see between political parties/views is the highest it's ever been (well, maybe not the Civil War years) and I think trump's constant bashing and hate talk has contributed mightily to this...just my opinion...take it or leave it...God help America!

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Honestly, part of the reason I personally believe Biden is more bipartisan is how he shows respect for those opposing him or disagreeing with him (similar to what @PF5 said). He also has a respect for the systems of government, which Trump didn't have. Trump also tended to verbally assault his opposition, which tainted his supporters and angered his opponents. But giving concrete evidence of someone's bipartisanship doesn't seem straightforward.

Maybe we look at polls showing Biden's approval is ahead of Trump considerably at this stage of his administration. He does have 23% approval among Republicans, but approval ratings have become partisan in themselves.
https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/biden-approval-rating-at-60-23-among-republicans.html

Maybe we look at Pew Research regarding how people view Biden's ton of political debate:
https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...the-administration-and-congressional-leaders/

One poll in particular is compared to Trump in 2020. The contrast is noticeable.
1622587708186.png

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Honestly, part of the reason I personally believe Biden is more bipartisan is how he shows respect for those opposing him or disagreeing with him (similar to what @PF5 said). He also has a respect for the systems of government, which Trump didn't have. Trump also tended to verbally assault his opposition, which tainted his supporters and angered his opponents. But giving concrete evidence of someone's bipartisanship doesn't seem straightforward.

Maybe we look at polls showing Biden's approval is ahead of Trump considerably at this stage of his administration. He does have 23% approval among Republicans, but approval ratings have become partisan in themselves.
https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/biden-approval-rating-at-60-23-among-republicans.html

Maybe we look at Pew Research regarding how people view Biden's ton of political debate:
https://www.pewresearch.org/politic...the-administration-and-congressional-leaders/

One poll in particular is compared to Trump in 2020. The contrast is noticeable.
View attachment 90477
Yeah. He is a breath of fresh air from the last 12 years

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Hunter Biden brought VP Joe to dinner with shady business partners

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-brought-vp-joe-to-dinner-with-shady-business-partners

“I have never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings,” Biden said. “Here’s what I know. Trump should be investigated. “ou should be looking at Trump. He’s doing this because he knows I’ll beat him like a drum. And he’s using an abuse of power and every element of the presidency to try to smear me ... Ask the right questions.”

We know now China Joe was lying about his connections to Ukraine, Russia, China and others.

I surprised frankly given Democrats recent history they haven't called for a special counsel investigation into China Joe and started impeachment hearings.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2011
Several things that jump out on those:
How low Trump's was straight out of the gate is telling.

Biden drawing a flat line

on W's graph...the 9/11 spike!

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
That flat line is America taking a deep breath and relaxing a bit after the last 4 years... lol
100%. I think most are practically ignoring Biden, because they couldn’t avoid the hoopla created by Trump. We’re suffering from political fatigue after the last election cycle.

The earlier comment of it being a breath of fresh air is probably accurate, even though it was meant as sarcasm.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
100%. I think most are practically ignoring Biden, because they couldn’t avoid the hoopla created by Trump. We’re suffering from political fatigue after the last election cycle.

The earlier comment of it being a breath of fresh air is probably accurate, even though it was meant as sarcasm.
Agree except for the last bolded part

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

It does feel better knowing there is a MUCH less significant chance of the POTUS starting some conflict or war every day via Twitter. There is a sense of relief there isn't some new/different thing that is going to impact my daily life because of some topic that Trump just had a notion to Tweet About at 2am on a Tuesday morning. I don't have to wake up each week with some weird thing to research because everyone in the world will ask your opinion and stance on the controversy of the day that Trump had Tweeted about, said, made up, etc

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Agree except for the last bolded part
I guess "sardonic" would have been more appropriate. We can get into an argument about whether it was the last 4 years or the last 12, but I don't know how one could argue Trump didn't take the divisiveness to unprecedented levels. (FYI - I didn't vote for Obama in either election.)

Sep 3, 2010
It does feel better knowing there is a MUCH less significant chance of the POTUS starting some conflict or war every day via Twitter. There is a sense of relief there isn't some new/different thing that is going to impact my daily life because of some topic that Trump just had a notion to Tweet About at 2am on a Tuesday morning. I don't have to wake up each week with some weird thing to research because everyone in the world will ask your opinion and stance on the controversy of the day that Trump had Tweeted about, said, made up, etc
Yes. Thank goodness this administration hasn't fueled any controversy.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I guess "sardonic" would have been more appropriate. We can get into an argument about whether it was the last 4 years or the last 12, but I don't know how one could argue Trump didn't take the divisiveness to unprecedented levels. (FYI - I didn't vote for Obama in either election.)
Only blind partisans would not include Obama. He brought it to unprecedented levels before it got turned up to 12. He’s a toxic divisive prick. The opposite side of the same coin.

It looks like government now can disagree without being disagreeable in most instances