and the free agency begins . . .

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 31, 2008
From ESPN:

The Longhorns added another linebacker on Sunday when Devin Richardson of New Mexico State announced his transfer to Texas. The 6-3, 233-pound Richardson had 69 tackles as a freshman in 2019 and was named to the Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-American team

So as Saben suggested, with the one time transfer rule, the rich will get richer. The big schools will pick off the stars from the smaller schools.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
I have come to the realization that the college football that I grew up loving and have a strong passion for is dead and gone. Pay 4 Play, Image and Likeness, and free agency....Time will tell the implications.... I’m sad that my interest is slowly wilting Normally, right now, I’m reading everything I can about spring ball, going to the spring game, watching what’s going on around the league... but this year it haven’t even looked. If it’s not a headline, I probably didn’t catch, it’s just not there like it used to be. :(

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I have come to the realization that the college football that I grew up loving and have a strong passion for is dead and gone. Pay 4 Play, Image and Likeness, and free agency....Time will tell the implications.... I’m sad that my interest is slowly wilting Normally, right now, I’m reading everything I can about spring ball, going to the spring game, watching what’s going on around the league... but this year it haven’t even looked. If it’s not a headline, I probably didn’t catch, it’s just not there like it used to be. :(
Same here. My interest in the game has declined considerably every year since the playoff format began. The committee selection process has ruined the game. The lack of transparency, logic, and accountability has made it abundantly clear that selections are made based on helmet stickers and not performance. Its really a joke of a game at this point. With that said, my interest in non-revenue sports has actually increased over the same period. Find myself watching much more wrestling, baseball, and softball these days, which is a lot of fun.

Jul 23, 2018
USA
Before you know it, Coaches may change schools too!

Luckily the universities aren't profiting from the sport and they are just barely breaking even.
It's been a couple of years since I looked, but circa 2018-19 there were only a handful of athletic departments around the country that generated enough revenue to cover expenses. OSU was using around $7 million in student fees to make ends meet.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I'm not so much worried about the rich getting richer, heck that was already happening under the old transfer rules to some degree. This new system is bad because of how it will impact the players who weren't freshman all american. How many hundreds of players are going to find out they don't have a chair when the music stops.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Same here. My interest in the game has declined considerably every year since the playoff format began. The committee selection process has ruined the game. The lack of transparency, logic, and accountability has made it abundantly clear that selections are made based on helmet stickers and not performance. Its really a joke of a game at this point
That's one of the reasons we need to go to an eight team playoff.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
It's been a couple of years since I looked, but circa 2018-19 there were only a handful of athletic departments around the country that generated enough revenue to cover expenses. OSU was using around $7 million in student fees to make ends meet.
I am someone who earned their accounting degree at OSU; You need to realize that most P5 programs intentionally spend themselves to the point of insolvency to justify their budgets and subsequent ticket price raises, donation requirements and TV dollar demands.