all things stitt

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
McGirt decision is based upon a procedural, jurisdictional, criminal statute limited in scope to an explicit list of major crimes.

They're probably not going to, but Congress could mcgut McGirt with a simple statutory change rendering the Indian Major Crimes Act a law of concurrent, rather than exclusive, jurisdiction or simply repealing it.
We can hope, but the ad valorem protests to move to tribal taxation have already started.

Mar 11, 2006
The majority sides with Stitt on the blatant government overreach of making local mask mandates illegal.

Are you referring to SB 658 - about schools?

Unless there is a restriction I have not heard about, there is no state law or EO that restricts local governments from having their own mask mandate. I thought OKC voted on and rejected a mask mandate late last month.

As for the schools —although I doubt this was intended outcome — I think the best solution for parents has been created that generates parental freedom of choice.
Schools can’t mandate masks without offering an opt-out. Many school districts now have mask requirements, but offer op-out for religious, medical, or personal reasons. In practice, most student just wear a mask. But for those parents or kids strongly against mask wearing - they can opt-out by completing a written form.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2006
We can hope, but the ad valorem protests to move to tribal taxation have already started.
In a recent report, the Oklahoma Tax Commission appears to accept that McGirt applies for state and local tax purposes.[2] The report estimates McGirt will reduce state income tax collections by $72.7 million per year, and tribal citizens will be eligible for income tax refunds for the past three years totaling $218.1 million. The estimated annual loss of state and local sales taxes will be $132.2 million

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/m... the past three years totaling $218.1 million.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
In a recent report, the Oklahoma Tax Commission appears to accept that McGirt applies for state and local tax purposes.[2] The report estimates McGirt will reduce state income tax collections by $72.7 million per year, and tribal citizens will be eligible for income tax refunds for the past three years totaling $218.1 million. The estimated annual loss of state and local sales taxes will be $132.2 million

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/mcgirt-v-oklahoma-impacts-on-tribal-2545437/#:~:text=In a recent report, the Oklahoma Tax Commission,for the past three years totaling $218.1 million.
If the ad valorem goes to the tribes the state aid formula will be a mess.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
My analysis of McGirt is a bit more than hope.

There is a possibility that the ad valorem protests are based on something more than McGirt and Solem v. Bartlett...I dunno, I’m not a tax attorney by any stretch...but if McGirt is their primary or sole authority for tax protests, I’m pretty confident they don’t get there.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
My analysis of McGirt is a bit more than hope.

There is a possibility that the ad valorem protests are based on something more than McGirt and Solem v. Bartlett...I dunno, I’m not a tax attorney by any stretch...but if McGirt is their primary or sole authority for tax protests, I’m pretty confident they don’t get there.
I hope you are right, but we already have tribal tags

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
https://twitter.com/nuriamkeel/status/1438591021978464256?s=21
Now this is something that Stitt is doing that I can get behind. I believe there should be routine investigative audits of all major state spenders. I am curious if this will get public education overhauled or gutted. Knowing how Stitt feels about public ed, I can assume the spin he will put on any findings. Hopefully, we can get at least a little constructive dialogue about it.

Mar 11, 2006
Now this is something that Stitt is doing that I can get behind. I believe there should be routine investigative audits of all major state spenders. I am curious if this will get public education overhauled or gutted. Knowing how Stitt feels about public ed, I can assume the spin he will put on any findings. Hopefully, we can get at least a little constructive dialogue about it.
Agreed. Joy is the only politician in my life that I have donated multiple times to their campaign. Have known her well since her Kumon days. Unfortunately, she has done nothing significant as State Superintendent - been very disappointed. I am not sure how much is her fault versus state legislature.

But our education administration spending, as a percentage of total education spending, is one of the highest in the nation. To be fair, it has been high since prior to Joy taking over, but it has not improved significantly. I don't see why it is so hard to consolidate leadership and curriculum positions from multiple school districts. Last year we had many school districts administer their own remote learning. We still have not seen any leadership consolidating all that work.

EDIT: What I want from the audit: Is realizing we have A LOT of redundant and unnecessary spending on education. And we don't cut education spending at all --- but that we move it closer to the student ....specifically, merit-based increased salaries for top educators. Our low teacher salaries need to be increased even more. Hard to attract great educators when starting salaries are near equivalent of a Braum’s manager.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Agreed. Joy is the only politician in my life that I have donated multiple times to their campaign. Have known her well since her Kumon days. Unfortunately, she has done nothing significant as State Superintendent - been very disappointed. I am not sure how much is her fault versus state legislature.

But our education administration spending, as a percentage of total education spending, is one of the highest in the nation. To be fair, it has been high since prior to Joy taking over, but it has not improved significantly. I don't see why it is so hard to consolidate leadership and curriculum positions from multiple school districts. Last year we had many school districts administer their own remote learning. We still have not seen any leadership consolidating all that work.

EDIT: What I want from the audit: Is realizing we have A LOT of redundant and unnecessary spending on education. And we don't cut education spending at all --- but that we move it closer to the student ....specifically, merit-based increased salaries for top educators. Our low teacher salaries need to be increased even more. Hard to attract great educators when starting salaries are near equivalent of a Braum’s manager.
I like her too. I wasn’t a fan of her response. She could have really spun it to generate support for public Ed...something like:

While we believe this is merely political theater attempting to generate support to further the Governor’s agenda to dismantle public education, we also have nothing to hide. Our finances are audited more than any other state agency, and believe that this audit will prove to be nothing more than a waste of precious tax payer dollars. We will do whatever is needed to assist efforts in this audit in order to gain a speedy resolution. We would like to apologize in advance that this audit is taking away state dollars that could be directly benefiting your child’s education.

(Mic drop)

Seriously though, they missed an opportunity to spin this....or they are worried about what’s going to be uncovered and are trying to generate enough public backlash to squash it.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I like her too. I wasn’t a fan of her response. She could have really spun it to generate support for public Ed...something like:

While we believe this is merely political theater attempting to generate support to further the Governor’s agenda to dismantle public education, we also have nothing to hide. Our finances are audited more than any other state agency, and believe that this audit will prove to be nothing more than a waste of precious tax payer dollars. We will do whatever is needed to assist efforts in this audit in order to gain a speedy resolution. We would like to apologize in advance that this audit is taking away state dollars that could be directly benefiting your child’s education.

(Mic drop)

Seriously though, they missed an opportunity to spin this....or they are worried about what’s going to be uncovered and are trying to generate enough public backlash to squash it.
I have a 3rd possibility. Joy is getting tired of dealing with Stitt's BS and her patience is wearing thin.

That would have been a slam dunk response though. :D

Sep 22, 2011

Would love to see teachers start to be paid off of their performance instead of off of years of teaching, this is the most requested change I have heard of from the teachers I know including my wife.