all things stitt

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
Politicians are rarely honest in their ads. Like you I don’t want vouchers (at least in their current proposed form).

I dot an interesting Hofmeister mailer today. In it she claims to have fought and stood up to Fallin for teacher pay raises, which didn’t happen. But I don’t blame Hofmeister because all politicians will take credit for anything positive that happened while they are in office.

What I found interesting about Hofmeister’s mailer, that it said she would take on and stand up and fight politicians. With pictures of Stitt, Fallin, ….and Biden.
If she wins she will be the current governor. How does a current governor “stand up and fight” against two former governors?

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I don't think your average voter, or even average school parent, understands just how many special programs/services/jobs in Oklahoma schools are federally funded and will be lost if we reject federal funds. Because the state sure as hell isn't going to make up the difference...
If you remove ESSER I, II and ARP the normal percentage of federal funds is roughly 10 to 12% of public school funding in Oklahoma.

Under Hofmeister's superintendency the percentage of students that are economically disadvantaged (Free and Reduced Lunch) have declined from roughly 66% of the student population to 59% of the student population which is cost the state ESSER I, II, and ARP revenues and individual schools money.

One last point that absolutely no one is talking about is the Biden administration attack on red states. The USDA has promulgated rules to withhold Child Nutrition funds from states that have enacted transgender rules on restrooms as well as protecting women's sports.

We need the federal money, there is no doubt. However, the current gubernatorial administration isn't the only group costing us federal funds.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
Just got another mailer from Hofmeister. This time it says Joy "Rising Above the Partisan Extremism" over pictures of Stitt, Fallin, and Trump, but also Pelosi, AOC, and Biden.

I think her positioning is very smart -- it may work for those that don't realize she did next to nothing as Superintendent --- and completely ignored her top campaign promise.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
If you remove ESSER I, II and ARP the normal percentage of federal funds is roughly 10 to 12% of public school funding in Oklahoma.

Under Hofmeister's superintendency the percentage of students that are economically disadvantaged (Free and Reduced Lunch) have declined from roughly 66% of the student population to 59% of the student population which is cost the state ESSER I, II, and ARP revenues and individual schools money.

One last point that absolutely no one is talking about is the Biden administration attack on red states. The USDA has promulgated rules to withhold Child Nutrition funds from states that have enacted transgender rules on restrooms as well as protecting women's sports.

We need the federal money, there is no doubt. However, the current gubernatorial administration isn't the only group costing us federal funds.
It's not just Biden; at least one federal court overturned a ban on anti-transexual public school restroom policies in Virginia. That led to the U.S. Supreme Court rejecting a Virginia school board’s appeal to reinstate its transgender bathroom ban. My guess is that Supreme Court would rather wait to see if another federal court rules the opposite. A federal court that covers Oklahoma will likely take on transgender issues. ACLU has filed a lawsuit.

Interesting how girls can play on football teams in Oklahoma. In one recent instance there was a shortage of boys for one game, but two girls were allowed on the team, so the school wouldn't have to forfeit the game. To be fair, boys should be allowed on girl's teams when they are running short of girls. But Oklahoma law doesn't allow it. The strength boys have over girls makes doing that highly controversial.

As a political issue, it's a big unfortunate mess to me. But feel transgender therapy or surgery under age 18 needs regulated, rather than banned. It would be better to find out what causes the problem and if it can be prevented or treated without having to transcend to the opposite sex.

Last edited:

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Interesting how girls can play on football teams in Oklahoma. In one recent instance there was a shortage of boys for one game, but two girls were allowed on the team, so the school wouldn't have to forfeit the game. To be fair, boys should be allowed on girl's teams when they are running short of girls. But Oklahoma law doesn't allow it. The strength boys have over girls makes doing that highly controversial.
Both instances are wrong. Letting a 100 pound female on the field in a full contact sport with a bunch of 200 pound guys is a good way to get the little person hurt. Biological males are simply bigger stronger and faster than biological females. It's an unfair competitive advantage more so than steroids which are illegal.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Both instances are wrong. Letting a 100 pound female on the field in a full contact sport with a bunch of 200 pound guys is a good way to get the little person hurt. Biological males are simply bigger stronger and faster than biological females. It's an unfair competitive advantage more so than steroids which are illegal.
I've never understood why people don't see that. Biology ain't that hard.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
If Republican legislators think Oklahomans find biology that difficult, then they can pass a law banning girls from playing on boys' school sports teams. If a school team has to forfeit a game, due to too many boys being out, then that is just too bad.
Title IX it's a federal rule, state has to abide by it or lose funding.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
As a man who's closer to 100 than 200, this comment definitely gives me a chuckle. Maybe I should be forced to compete in women's sports since I'm roughly that size?

There are some arguments along this line that I find compelling, but absolutely not this one. Why not just make it all about size?

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
As a man who's closer to 100 than 200, this comment definitely gives me a chuckle. Maybe I should be forced to compete in women's sports since I'm roughly that size?

There are some arguments along this line that I find compelling, but absolutely not this one. Why not just make it all about size?
And I'm betting you didn't get out on the football field. Not to mention you still have more upper body strength than the average female your size. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say a girl couldn't kick your butt or anything like that. :lol:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
And I'm betting you didn't get out on the football field. Not to mention you still have more upper body strength than the average female your size. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say a girl couldn't kick your butt or anything like that. :lol:
There's a difference between thinking someone shouldn't do something and thinking someone shouldn't be allowed to do something. Republicans seem to be lost on this concept with multiple issues. Especially the MAGA Republicans.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
There's a difference between thinking someone shouldn't do something and thinking someone shouldn't be allowed to do something. Republicans seem to be lost on this concept with multiple issues. Especially the MAGA Republicans.
If the girl wants to go out and play ball with the boys I'm ok with it. I think it's a really bad idea but she can make her own decision. When the boys start competing against the girls in girls sports it's an unfair competitive advantage and shouldn't be allowed.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I did, actually, though not for very long. I played a variety of sports growing up.

Your point still comes back to making it about size and not gender, though.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
If Republican legislators think Oklahomans find biology that difficult, then they can pass a law banning girls from playing on boys' school sports teams. If a school team has to forfeit a game, due to too many boys being out, then that is just too bad.
Typical, this issue is bad parenting the other issue is stupidity.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonks11/status/1574499171163217920?t=r2jRDFn2C9mYdvVP3TdsaA&s=09

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonks11/status/1574500776688468003?t=HJAQbneLVusVosrfW3cOgQ&s=09

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonks11/status/1574516576115531776?t=-gVihA72t7IK4krYsltdHw&s=09
The devastation this governor has caused will take more than a decade to recover. Yet, he still has his defenders around here ( one of which will claim he is not a defender as he defends.)

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I didn’t live here during Walters-fallin. But the things he is doing in state agencies is unprecedented.
Then you have no clue how bad it can get. Stitt triggers due to having a personality similar to Trump, but Walters to Fallin each had their own brand of legalized crime. Stitt is just like the others.