all things stitt

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
For them, I think it's more a recognition that the "freedoms" being talked about as being advanced are basically guns, drinking, medical marijuana, and lowering penalties on other drugs while at the same time believing deeply that more important freedoms (reproductive issues, discrimination issues, LGBTA+ issues) are going backwards instead of forward.
What discrimination/LBGTQ rights are you referring to that have gone backward in Oklahoma?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
What discrimination/LBGTQ rights are you referring to that have gone backward in Oklahoma?
1. I didn't myself allege that. I made a statement as to what my understanding of many other people's that I encounter views and beliefs are.

2. I'm not interested in engaging with you on this or much any other topic, but...

3. The law allowing adoption agencies to discriminate against gay couples in adoption placement services comes to mind immediately and easily (as does the state leadership's repeated failure to pass any law specifically barring discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/trans-identity/etc), which leads us back to....

2a. I'm not really interested in your partisan apologetic views on why that "really" isn't discrimination or is discrimination that should be allowed, but I'm sure you're going to tell us all anyway....not that I'm likely to see it or respond further.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
It's the "freedom with complete disregard to the potential consequences" that I think is the problem some of us have. The "I'll do what I want even if it negatively impacts someone else" mindset. Having the freedom to do something doesn't always mean you should just do it, damned the impact to others.
The items I listed were nothing new that just started. They just started regulating it. Pooping on sidewalks is a different tune. Tattoos, gambling, piercings, drinking and smoking have ALWAYS been a part of Oklahoma. The idea of having a special watered down beer made us a laughing stock. They flipped their lids when I told them of liquor by the drink. Still have my dads portable bar for going out to dinners.
But that's the thing...Stitt isn't leading the charge to freedom. The only freedoms he promotes are the ones on his agenda.

Example: Mask mandates in schools. While, I don't think they really do anything because kids don't wear masks properly all day long...it is a blatant government overreach to make it illegal for individual school districts to implement. If a local school board (which theoretically represents the district) feels their school should have masks, they should be allowed to do it.

Example: McGirt. It SUCKS that we are having to go through this. And it SUCKS that criminals slipped through the cracks...but it has been over a year now, and Stitt has done zero to move past the problems created by the decision. Instead of using money to create a grant system for local PDs to deputize LEOs as Lighthorsemen...or instead of working with the tribes/feds to expand the penal code so that criminals stop falling through the cracks, he is filing yet ANOTHER lawsuit in an attempt to overturn the SCOTUS decision.

Example: The only two actual doctors on the OHCA were fired simply because they didn't agree with him.

And I voted for the guy.
See? This is why I asked. I’m an out of towner. I’m surrounded by the people whose impressions I’m imparting with you. These aren’t my impressions. My impression is amusement, and that state gave me so much grief over them. In so far as Stitt, folks in these parts of Texas love him. Friends in Seattle think he’s a reverse Schwarzenegger. Their words not mine. I’ll relay your thoughts for sure though.
For them, I think it's more a recognition that the "freedoms" being talked about as being advanced are basically guns, drinking, medical marijuana, and lowering penalties on other drugs while at the same time believing deeply that more important freedoms (reproductive issues, discrimination issues, LGBTA+ issues) are going backwards instead of forward.

I'm also pretty sure that I don't agree that a "dude from the GOP" has lead the charge for most of these things.

Medical marijuana was an initiative ballot issue that the GOP tried to reverse almost as soon as it was passed. Criminal justice reform was also an initiative ballot issue that the GOP looked to reverse immediately before public outcry. The brewery issues were pretty bipartisan. GOP definitely always pushes for more guns/less regulation.

Basically, the only one a dude from the GOP lead the charge in was the most recent cocktails to go....and that was largely bipartisan as well.
Again, glad I asked. Perception outside the state where headline reading is the main source of information, tells the opposite story. Both the marijuana and criminal reform were seen as purely republican. Again, to the headline reading crowd. Friends in Sammamish only follow any of this just to give me crap.
As far as reproduction/gender rights go, there’s nothing you can do to convince the coasties you’re cool with it. They're used to that agenda from the east side of their own state.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
The items I listed were nothing new that just started. They just started regulating it. Pooping on sidewalks is a different tune. Tattoos, gambling, piercings, drinking and smoking have ALWAYS been a part of Oklahoma. The idea of having a special watered down beer made us a laughing stock. They flipped their lids when I told them of liquor by the drink. Still have my dads portable bar for going out to dinners.

See? This is why I asked. I’m an out of towner. I’m surrounded by the people whose impressions I’m imparting with you. These aren’t my impressions. My impression is amusement, and that state gave me so much grief over them. In so far as Stitt, folks in these parts of Texas love him. Friends in Seattle think he’s a reverse Schwarzenegger. Their words not mine. I’ll relay your thoughts for sure though.

Again, glad I asked. Perception outside the state where headline reading is the main source of information, tells the opposite story. Both the marijuana and criminal reform were seen as purely republican. Again, to the headline reading crowd. Friends in Sammamish only follow any of this just to give me crap.
As far as reproduction/gender rights go, there’s nothing you can do to convince the coasties you’re cool with it. They're used to that agenda from the east side of their own state.
I can, with 100% certainty, that our thoughts expressed in these quotes is very much the minority.

The majority sides with Stitt on tribal issues (both the gaming compacts and McGirt).

The majority sides with Stitt on the blatant government overreach of making local mask mandates illegal.

The majority can't see the blatantly flaming ridiculous hypocrisy of claiming government overreach by the feds on McGirt while doing the exact same thing to local communities.

The majority write off his clearly partisan firing of dissenting opinions as "Just what politicians do. Biden did it."

The majority will vote for him again.

Jul 9, 2004
Kevin Stitt removes pesky doctors from Healthcare Authority board… the lost ogle

Over the weekend, the Oklahoma State Medical Association was up in arms after our esteemed Governor Kevin Stitt removed the only two physicians from the Oklahoma Healthcare Authority’s board of directors – Dr. Laura Shamblin and Dr. Jean Hausheer.
According to the OSMA, the removal comes not too long after the board voted against Stitt’s wishes. It also means there are currently no physicians serving on our Healthcare Authority’s board of directors, which in a way, is the most Oklahoma thing ever. I bet Stitt will probably replace them with his personal trainer and the “naturopath” who sells his wife essential oils.

Questions surround Stitt's decision to remove 2 doctors from Oklahoma Health Care Authority KOCO

Questions are swirling about why Gov. Kevin Stitt removed two doctors from the Oklahoma Health Care Authority.
The news about Stitt removing those two members — the only two medical doctors on that board — broke Saturday during a holiday weekend. Three major medical associations wrote to Stitt, asking him to reconsider.

Stitt removed Dr. Jean Hausheer and Dr. Laura Shamblin from the Oklahoma Health Care Authority board of directors.
The question, though, is why?
The Oklahoma State Medical Association accused the governor of playing politics, saying he only removed them because they voted against advancing his Medicaid privatization plan.
"The Health Care Authority's job is to oversee more than $2 billion taxpayer dollars and serve Oklahoma's most vulnerable citizens, not rubber-stamp a governor's political agenda," said Dr. George Monks, the OSMA's immediate past president.
Stitt's office told KOCO 5 on Tuesday that he's appointed Susan Dell-Osso, a former Integris official, and Geno DeMarco, his former personal protective equipment czar. A spokesperson did not answer the question of why the two doctors were removed.
The Lost Ogle, huh? Alrighty then..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
There was this whole debacle…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tulsaw...c2cd31e6-38d2-11eb-a9f0-b3c50aca8766.amp.html

Tries to shove in an unqualified person to the state board of education, then blames everybody when that person refuses the job after originally accepting the position.

Then this…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kfor.c...ges-against-governor-and-epic-co-founder/amp/

The guy attempted to sweep glaring fraud from epic charter schools under the rug.

He ran a very lucrative mortgage company that had its license suspended in Georgia due to shady business practices. Not sure I think that makes him a qualified governor. His tenure so far has proven that.

Apr 14, 2009
And how many states have band our crooked governors mortgage company from doing business? Because they deem it as a predatory lender to other constituents.

Jul 9, 2004
I understand there are multiple outlets reporting this. I was just giving you grief for sourcing The Lost Ogle...just not a fan.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I understand there are multiple outlets reporting this. I was just giving you grief for sourcing The Lost Ogle...just not a fan.

ha...yeah, my bad putting the "highly respectable" (ha) lost ogle as my first source...

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I can, with 100% certainty, that our thoughts expressed in these quotes is very much the minority.

The majority sides with Stitt on tribal issues (both the gaming compacts and McGirt).

The majority sides with Stitt on the blatant government overreach of making local mask mandates illegal.

The majority can't see the blatantly flaming ridiculous hypocrisy of claiming government overreach by the feds on McGirt while doing the exact same thing to local communities.

The majority write off his clearly partisan firing of dissenting opinions as "Just what politicians do. Biden did it."

The majority will vote for him again.
So basically it’s business as usual. There’s no bipartisanship? Just people and “their” sides?
I’m going to look up the Mcgirt thingy. Seems like you’re setting me up to be Rick rolled or something.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Legal opinion from someone that has done large amounts of research on the McGirt issue before, during, and still after the McGirt decision.

McGirt decision was correct. I'm impressed by Gorsuch's opinions so far. It was a good appointment by Trump.

Court of Criminal Appeals decision in Matloff v. Wallace (the case mentioned in the article) saying it is prospective and not retroactively applied is also correct.

Cherokee Nation Attorney General Sara Hill is an excellent and capable attorney whom I know and she is correct in her contentions that Matloff decision moots Oklahoma's appeal in Bosse asking that McGirt be overturned.

Oklahoma Attorney General John O’Connor is out of his league, probably shouldn't have been appointed AG, and is doomed to fail in his attempts to overturn McGirt.

Mar 11, 2006
Oklahoma Attorney General John O’Connor is out of his league, probably shouldn't have been appointed AG, and is doomed to fail in his attempts to overturn McGirt.
Dude has a pretty impressive resume. Main item I learned about him last month was that he was a former OSU student body President and later President of law students at TU.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Legal opinion from someone that has done large amounts of research on the McGirt issue before, during, and still after the McGirt decision.

McGirt decision was correct. I'm impressed by Gorsuch's opinions so far. It was a good appointment by Trump.

Court of Criminal Appeals decision in Matloff v. Wallace (the case mentioned in the article) saying it is prospective and not retroactively applied is also correct.

Cherokee Nation Attorney General Sara Hill is an excellent and capable attorney whom I know and she is correct in her contentions that Matloff decision moots Oklahoma's appeal in Bosse asking that McGirt be overturned.

McGirt could possibly mcgut Oklahoma if the tax laws follow the criminal law

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
McGirt could possibly mcgut Oklahoma if the tax laws follow the criminal law
McGirt decision is based upon a procedural, jurisdictional, criminal statute limited in scope to an explicit list of major crimes.

They're probably not going to, but Congress could mcgut McGirt with a simple statutory change rendering the Indian Major Crimes Act a law of concurrent, rather than exclusive, jurisdiction or simply repealing it.

Last edited: