all things stitt

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
It's also just stupid of Stitt. The tribes have a lot of money/power and as I can gather, the laws as written favor the tribes since the majority of the state is essentially a reservation. Just stop picking fights and work with them.
I will never understand the approach he took. It would have been a lot less money, stress and a lot more positive press if he had just sat down with tribal leaders and actually had an honest discussion. He just comes across as concerned about his power.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I will never understand the approach he took. It would have been a lot less money, stress and a lot more positive press if he had just sat down with tribal leaders and actually had an honest discussion. He just comes across as concerned about his power.
Given the state's and country's history with native people, it also makes it looks like he's trying to go back to a more racist time where the state did what it wanted to the tribes. Stitt seems like he has a fragile enough ego that he can't stand sharing power.

Mar 11, 2006
Like a lot of things our federal and state government does, the title of the bill sounds nice and positive, but upon inspection it is ridiculous wasteful spending.
I can’t find a link to how much is going to be spent of this new commission or amount of grants over the next 5-years, but I am going to assume not cheap.

Two items about the new law.
1) there is a provision which prohibits any grant services areas with duplicate broadband internet. That is a good provision, but that essentially means just an extremely small handful of households in OK. These are household that cost tens of thousands of dollars per household to build (some potentially into the 6-figures just for one home). It is great that some people want to live way away from towns, but having people in metro areas subsidize this construction seems unfair.
2) Like that there is a “claw-back” provision in law. Fly by night companies have popped up before to take the grant money and never complete the item they won the bid.

https://twitter.com/govstitt/status/1522577182039625730?s=21&t=qy2erF5ThYpeyXrcx7oaIA

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Like a lot of things our federal and state government does, the title of the bill sounds nice and positive, but upon inspection it is ridiculous wasteful spending.
I can’t find a link to how much is going to be spent of this new commission or amount of grants over the next 5-years, but I am going to assume not cheap.

Two items about the new law.
1) there is a provision which prohibits any grant services areas with duplicate broadband internet. That is a good provision, but that essentially means just an extremely small handful of households in OK. These are household that cost tens of thousands of dollars per household to build (some potentially into the 6-figures just for one home). It is great that some people want to live way away from towns, but having people in metro areas subsidize this construction seems unfair.
2) Like that there is a “claw-back” provision in law. Fly by night companies have popped up before to take the grant money and never complete the item they won the bid.

https://twitter.com/govstitt/status/1522577182039625730?s=21&t=qy2erF5ThYpeyXrcx7oaIA
The people in rural areas are just as deserving of broadband as the suburban and urban people are. In my case I need it to run equipment. It's the same in oil and gas production. If we are going to build rural EV charging stations what's the difference? By your logic, and the fine people of Norman's logic, why should I have to put up with transmission lines in my field so urban and suburban people can have electricity? The broadband lines are mostly ran, they just need to energize.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Windstream has miles and miles of fiber next to most rural highways. It was from the last great grant program. They have left the fiber dark and will not turn it on. I've tried to get broadband from the line 200 yards in front of my house but they won't light up the fiber.

Mar 11, 2006
Windstream has miles and miles of fiber next to most rural highways. It was from the last great grant program. They have left the fiber dark and will not turn it on. I've tried to get broadband from the line 200 yards in front of my house but they won't light up the fiber.
I think someone is not giving you the correct information. “Dark fiber” does not mean the entire strands are not being used.

If Windstream took grant money and did not complete the build they bid on, the grant should be “clawed-back”. But I know of no reason why Windstream would take the expense of construction and not light the fiber. That doesn’t make sense.
However, 600 feet is still an expensive build to a singular household, but they still should be able to serve you for $2-$4k.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I think someone is not giving you the correct information. “Dark fiber” does not mean the entire strands are not being used.

If Windstream took grant money and did not complete the build they bid on, the grant should be “clawed-back”. But I know of no reason why Windstream would take the expense of construction and not light the fiber. That doesn’t make sense.
However, 600 feet is still an expensive build to a singular household, but they still should be able to serve you for $2-$4k.
It may be lit to cell towers but they refuse to connect to anyone else. The fiber is out there, they just refuse to connect it.

Apr 14, 2009
Windstream sucks! I Had the crap service for 30 years at my yard and office. Finely got OEC fiber and sent Windstream packing!

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Windstream sucks! I Had the crap service for 30 years at my yard and office. Finely got OEC fiber and sent Windstream packing!
I agree 100%. At one of the schools I was over we had a squirrel chew through the overhead line that went five blocks between buildings. They wouldn't fix it, they wanted us to put up a new fiber optic line. The guy I was dealing with started getting jittery. I asked him what he wasn't telling me. After 10 minutes of back and forth he told me they were going to sell service to all the residents and businesses on the line. That takes nerve

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
'A wolf in sheep's clothing': Oklahoma Gov. Stitt vetoes State-tribal judicial bill

“This measure almost unanimously passed the House and Senate, with 96 percent of Oklahoma legislators’ approval. It has strong bipartisan support,” Batton said. “We urge the Legislature to do what’s right for the people of Oklahoma and override this veto.”

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Gov. Kevin Stitt vetoed a bill meant to increase coordination between tribal judicial agencies and the State.
Stitt criticized the bill in his veto letter, calling it a "wolf in sheep's clothing."
“While Enrolled House Bill 3501 was passed under the guise of public safety, this bill is a wolf in sheep's clothing,” Stitt said. “It would essentially require the State to carry out tribal court adjudications, no questions asked. Specifically, it would bind the Department of Public Safety (DPS), a State agency, to recognize and act upon reports of conviction submitted by courts of any federally recognized Indian tribe located anywhere in the State of Oklahoma in the same manner it acts upon reports of conviction from State and municipal courts.

Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Chief Gary Batton said the decision does nothing but hurt public safety.
“Once again, Gov. Stitt has chosen division and his personal political ambitions over doing what is best for Oklahoma,” Batton said. “Tribal courts and law enforcement agencies have a long history of cooperation with state and local governments, including 75 cross-deputization agreements between the Choctaw Nation and other governments. HB 3501 strengthens those relationships by requiring the state Department of Public Safety to recognize convictions for traffic offenses in tribal courts. Under this bill, drivers who violate the law and put others in jeopardy will be kept off the road.”

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
'A wolf in sheep's clothing': Oklahoma Gov. Stitt vetoes State-tribal judicial bill

“This measure almost unanimously passed the House and Senate, with 96 percent of Oklahoma legislators’ approval. It has strong bipartisan support,” Batton said. “We urge the Legislature to do what’s right for the people of Oklahoma and override this veto.”

OKLAHOMA CITY (KOKH) — Gov. Kevin Stitt vetoed a bill meant to increase coordination between tribal judicial agencies and the State.
Stitt criticized the bill in his veto letter, calling it a "wolf in sheep's clothing."
“While Enrolled House Bill 3501 was passed under the guise of public safety, this bill is a wolf in sheep's clothing,” Stitt said. “It would essentially require the State to carry out tribal court adjudications, no questions asked. Specifically, it would bind the Department of Public Safety (DPS), a State agency, to recognize and act upon reports of conviction submitted by courts of any federally recognized Indian tribe located anywhere in the State of Oklahoma in the same manner it acts upon reports of conviction from State and municipal courts.

Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma Chief Gary Batton said the decision does nothing but hurt public safety.
“Once again, Gov. Stitt has chosen division and his personal political ambitions over doing what is best for Oklahoma,” Batton said. “Tribal courts and law enforcement agencies have a long history of cooperation with state and local governments, including 75 cross-deputization agreements between the Choctaw Nation and other governments. HB 3501 strengthens those relationships by requiring the state Department of Public Safety to recognize convictions for traffic offenses in tribal courts. Under this bill, drivers who violate the law and put others in jeopardy will be kept off the road.”
At this point and with Stittts history and words...does he hold some kind of grudge or prejudice against Native Americans?

I don't understand. 96% bipartisanship on a bill and he won't sign? That is a slap in the face to the 96% of Oklahomans those elected officials represent

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
At this point and with Stittts history and words...does he hold some kind of grudge or prejudice against Native Americans?

I don't understand. 96% bipartisanship on a bill and he won't sign? That is a slap in the face to the 96% of Oklahomans those elected officials represent
My tribe clearly thinks so. Stitt doesn't like the idea of tribes asserting power and having any degree of sovereignty. It's an old mentality that just doesn't work in Oklahoma where you have to acknowledge that most of the state is made up of reservations where tribes have jurisdiction over their own people. I get that creates problems with how large those are in Oklahoma, but that's all the more reason to work with them instead of throwing toddler tantrums opposing everything involving them.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014

but he's a member of the Cherokee Nation...lol...

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville

but he's a member of the Cherokee Nation...lol...
The World ran a story a couple years ago, the Tribe tried to excommunicate (some other word was used, but I don’t remember) the Stitt family a couple of generations before the Governor and that might be a big reason for the way he acts.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Canoo warns it may not have enough funds to bring EVs to market

Canoo’s first-quarter earnings shows a company burning through cash, no near-term revenue and a warning that it may not have enough money to stay in business.

Canoo has had a tumultuous and short history. The company’s vehicle designs, the first of which debuted in spring 2019, garnered praise and made it a buzzy EV startup. Just last month, Canoo was even selected by NASA to build the ground crew transportation vehicles for the Artemis space exploration program.

But Canoo has also suffered from a long string of problems and controversies, including internal drama, the exit of its co-founders, legal issues, an SEC investigation and production delays.

This latest earnings report paints an increasingly grim picture for Canoo’s future.

The EV startup, which earlier this week filed suit against one of its major investors in an attempt to reclaim $61 million in profits from allegedly suspicious stock trades, closed out the quarter with $104.9 million in cash and cash equivalents. That means the company, which currently has no revenue, burned through about $120 million since the fourth quarter.

Canoo’s net loss reached $125.4 million, compared to $15.2 million in the same quarter last year, with net cash used in operating activities totaling $120.3 million compared to $53.9 million in Q1 2021.

“Our business plans require a significant amount of capital,” reads a regulatory filing from Canoo. “If we are unable to obtain sufficient funding or do not have access to capital, we will be unable to execute our business plans and could be required to terminate or significantly curtail our operations and our prospects, financial condition and results of operations could be materially adversely affected.”