Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez helps raise millions for Texas

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I’m not sure you can make this statement definitively.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/17/texas-power-grid-failures/amp/
“Energy and policy experts said Texas’ decision not to require equipment upgrades to better withstand extreme winter temperatures, and choice to operate mostly isolated from other grids in the U.S. left power system unprepared for the winter crisis.”

1. Yes. See article above
2. Yes. It may keep others from needlessly suffering and possibly dying in the future. Lawsuits don’t just make restitution, they also are punitive to avoid future harm.
Have you read any of Donnyboy's posts in the other thread about this? Like the one below...

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/bitter-cold-in-oklahoma.274373/page-16#post-4200952

I'm seeing conflicting interpretations of what happened in all this.

drbwh

Federal Marshal
Sep 20, 2006
Bless your heart. The king of 5 word or less responses has spoken again. Such intellectual prowess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Four word response....

So you say. Interesting.

Wow, great find. You too have such prowess, old king of the Internet forums. Congratulations!!!’

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Have you read any of Donnyboy's posts in the other thread about this? Like the one below...

https://www.orangepower.com/threads/bitter-cold-in-oklahoma.274373/page-16#post-4200952

IMHO, this changes nothing. If the grid were winterized, this wouldn’t have happened. We knew this 10 years ago, yet did nothing so providers could keep their profit. People died. Homes and businesses were severely damaged.

Yes, the storm was historic. So was our failure to prepare and to protect our citizens.

Once again, I am not interested in furthering this debate.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
IMHO, this changes nothing. If the grid were winterized, this wouldn’t have happened. We knew this 10 years ago, yet did nothing so providers could keep their profit. People died. Homes and businesses were severely damaged.

Yes, the storm was historic. So was our failure to prepare and to protect our citizens.

then why post again?

I think there are bunch of failures that happened during this historic storm. Frankly, after suffering through it in Houston, my main complaint isn't renewables, deregulation, or winterizing. These are all debatable policy points, which have tradeoffs and are not one shot solutions.

My main complaint and the unforgivable sin is the lack of communication from authority, whether it be ERCOT, Centerpoint, Entergy, the Gubna, or whomever. If the general population had better information, or communication, different action could have been taken that could have saved lives and property. None of that happened.

My main information source during this epic storm was @Donnyboy .

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
AOC, Beto O'Rourke Raise $5 Million for Texas, Dems Staff Houston Food Bank

New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez joined several Democratic lawmakers at a Houston food bank Saturday as she and former Texas Representative Beto O'Rourke amassed about $5 million in total so far to help Texans struggling amid winter storms.

As of Sunday morning, Ocasio-Cortez has raised $4 million for relief teams across the state of Texas and joined Democratic Representatives Sylvia Garcia, Sheila Jackson and Al Green at a Houston food bank Saturday. Donations from the ActBlue fundraising campaign are set to be split between the Houston Food Bank, Feeding Texas, Family Eldercare, the Bridge Homeless Recovery Center and Ending Community Homeless Coalition (ECHO), Ocasio-Cortez said.

Meanwhile, O'Rourke, who shared the ActBlue donation campaign across social media, commended volunteers for making "over 300,000" phone calls on behalf of senior citizens "who need heat, water, food and shelter (and some basic kindness)."
On early Sunday morning, he announced in another tweet the latest total raised on his part: "Thank you for helping us raise $1 million so far to assist Texans with food, shelter and water!"
Big whoop, you soil your pants over $5 million for the state of Texas with the help of those other liberals, and still try to act as if this is some grand humanitarian action? When they get close to the $42 million Watt helped raise for Hurricane Harvey relief let us know.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Big whoop, you soil your pants over $5 million for the state of Texas with the help of those other liberals, and still try to act as if this is some grand humanitarian action? When they get close to the $42 million Watt helped raise for Hurricane Harvey relief let us know.
AOCDS

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
JJ is truly amazing. Mattress Mack deserves a lot of respect as well. I’ll bet both of them will take all the help they can get from the Left or the Right.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

The city council of Stillwater had known for years that the pumps they had to help thaw out recently, needed a shed and other winterizing. All they did was ignore it and pass it down the road until it now bit them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
The city council of Stillwater had known for years that the pumps they had to help thaw out recently, needed a shed and other winterizing. All they did was ignore it and pass it down the road until it now bit them.

Interestingly, I saw this while searching on information about ERCOT’s liability.
C9640E24-3FF9-46EA-83F7-2DDBE61A911B.jpeg

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
JJ is truly amazing. Mattress Mack deserves a lot of respect as well. I’ll bet both of them will take all the help they can get from the Left or the Right.
JJ also has some really interesting views and statements about the whole kneeling during the National Anthem controversy. Views and statements that would probably lead ole bwh and G&D85 to jump out of their skin condemning

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Unfortunately, it's just how the world works. Nothing changes until people get killed. Everyone in Oklahoma collectively freaked out after the children died at Plaza Towers during the tornado. There was a knee-jerk reaction where everyone started spending thousands/millions of dollars on shelters, etc.... Now we're seeing clients remove those items from their new buildings to save money since we haven't had much deadly tornado activity in OK for a few seasons. People have short/convenient memories.

Also, at some point the cost-benefit starts to not make sense when you're looking at the scale of an entire grid. I'm sure we could design for a worse case, but then you're designing for cases that far exceed the lifespan of the system itself, and people start wondering why they're paying so much money in fees and taxes to pay for an "over-designed" system.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
JJ also has some really interesting views and statements about the whole kneeling during the National Anthem controversy. Views and statements that would probably lead ole bwh and G&D85 to jump out of their skin condemning
Correct. I have nothing but love for JJ.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Unfortunately, it's just how the world works. Nothing changes until people get killed. Everyone in Oklahoma collectively freaked out after the children died at Plaza Towers during the tornado. There was a knee-jerk reaction where everyone started spending thousands/millions of dollars on shelters, etc.... Now we're seeing clients remove those items from their new buildings to save money since we haven't had much deadly tornado activity in OK for a few seasons. People have short/convenient memories.

Also, at some point the cost-benefit starts to not make sense when you're looking at the scale of an entire grid. I'm sure we could design for a worse case, but then you're designing for cases that far exceed the lifespan of the system itself, and people start wondering why they're paying so much money in fees and taxes to pay for an "over-designed" system.
All the new schools in Stillwater have been built with reinforced safe rooms and/or hallways. Westwood has rooms where metal screens come down to cover the windows even. The other school I know of is will rogers and theirs is a hallway in the middle of the school that has metal garage doors to section it off.