Adults drive 14-year-old to suicide by harassing her on MySpace with fake account

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
POKIN AROUND: A real person, a real death

By Steve Pokin
Tuesday, November 13, 2007 2:55 PM CST

His name was Josh Evans. He was 16 years old. And he was hot.

"Mom! Mom! Mom! Look at him!" Tina Meier recalls her daughter saying.

Josh had contacted Megan Meier through her MySpace page and wanted to be added as a friend.Yes, he's cute, Tina Meier told her daughter. "Do you know who he is?"

"No, but look at him! He's hot! Please, please, can I add him?"

Mom said yes. And for six weeks Megan and Josh - under Tina's watchful eye - became acquainted in the virtual world of MySpace.

Josh said he was born in Florida and recently had moved to O'Fallon. He was homeschooled. He played the guitar and drums.

He was from a broken home: "when i was 7 my dad left me and my mom and my older brother and my newborn brother 3 boys god i know poor mom yeah she had such a hard time when we were younger finding work to pay for us after he loeft."

As for 13-year-old Megan, of Dardenne Prairie, this is how she expressed who she was:

M is for Modern

E is for Enthusiastic

G is for Goofy

A is for Alluring

N is for Neglected.

She loved swimming, boating, fishing, dogs, rap music and boys. But her life had not always been easy, her mother says.

She was heavy and for years had tried to lose weight. She had attention deficit disorder and battled depression. Back in third grade she had talked about suicide, Tina says, and ever since had seen a therapist.

But things were going exceptionally well. She had shed 20 pounds, getting down to 175. She was 5 foot 5½ inches tall.

She had just started eighth grade at a new school, Immaculate Conception, in Dardenne Prairie, where she was on the volleyball team. She had attended Fort Zumwalt public schools before that.

Amid all these positives, Tina says, her daughter decided to end a friendship with a girlfriend who lived down the street from them. The girls had spent much of seventh grade alternating between being friends and, the next day, not being friends, Tina says.

Part of the reason for Megan's rosy outlook was Josh, Tina says. After school, Megan would rush to the computer.

"Megan had a lifelong struggle with weight and self-esteem," Tina says. "And now she finally had a boy who she thought really thought she was pretty."

It did seem odd, Tina says, that Josh never asked for Megan's phone number. And when Megan asked for his, she says, Josh said he didn't have a cell and his mother did not yet have a landline.

And then on Sunday, Oct. 15, 2006, Megan received a puzzling and disturbing message from Josh. Tina recalls that it said: "I don't know if I want to be friends with you anymore because I've heard that you are not very nice to your friends."

Frantic, Megan shot back: "What are you talking about?"

Read the rest of the disturbing story here...

Oct 26, 2005
Wow that is amazing. Just curious, but can Megan's parents sue that other girl's parents for wrongful death since they have proof that they did this? I think they should be sent to prison for murder.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Wow that is amazing. Just curious, but can Megan's parents sue that other girl's parents for wrongful death since they have proof that they did this? I think they should be sent to prison for murder.
From the story:

NO CRIMINAL CHARGES

It does not appear that there will be criminal charges filed in connection with Megan's death.

"We did not have a charge to fit it," McGuire says. "I don't know that anybody can sit down and say, 'This is why this young girl took her life.'"

The Meiers say the matter also was investigated by the FBI, which analyzed the family computer and conducted interviews. Ron said a stumbling block is that the FBI was unable to retrieve the electronic messages from Megan's final day, including that final message that only Ron saw.

The Meiers do not plan to file a civil lawsuit. Here's what they want: They want the law changed, state or federal, so that what happened to Megan - at the hands of an adult - is a crime.

Jul 25, 2005
That's absolutely appalling, and after reading the story, I'm shocked that criminal charges won't likely be filed.

You'd think with all the emphasis on uncovering child predators that there'd be some sort of interest in Internet baiting of other types, but I guess (fortunately), such incidents are fairly rare.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
I really want to give it up to Megan's parents. I'm just not that strong. If I were Megan's father I would be in jail.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
How can there be no laws against this? I know they didn't commit murder....

but surely there is something about false impersonation or at the very least coerction of a minor?

However upset I am by this article, I am also curious. Either the author of the article didn't give enough information, or somebody is lying. There are a TON of unanswered questions. Why can't the FBI read those messages? I refuse to believe they have just disappeared like a fart in the wind. How is it that only the father saw the messages, and not the mother? Somebody had to close that screen. Why no civil suite? There isn't a jury in America that wouldn't rule in the Meier's favor, so why not go ahead with it? Unless there is something we don't know.

And after all that, something that REALLY bothered me. Putting myself in the accused family's shoes...if I KNOW that I'm responsible for my neighbor's daughter's death...why on earth do I ask them to hold my foosball table? And if they had decided to drive in my lawn, and that was the worst that had happened???.....why the hell do I take it to court with a possible counter-sue option? It seems like it would give the victim's family more ammunition and more of an excuse to come after me.

It's a terrible tradgey; what happened. But we're missing some key information.

Slugger926

Federal Marshal
Oct 19, 2004

but surely there is something about false impersonation or at the very least coerction of a minor?

However upset I am by this article, I am also curious. Either the author of the article didn't give enough information, or somebody is lying. There are a TON of unanswered questions. Why can't the FBI read those messages? I refuse to believe they have just disappeared like a fart in the wind. How is it that only the father saw the messages, and not the mother? Somebody had to close that screen. Why no civil suite? There isn't a jury in America that wouldn't rule in the Meier's favor, so why not go ahead with it? Unless there is something we don't know.
It seems like the servers on the internet would still have that msg between the two. There should still be something on the daughter's computer. Then by tracking where it came from via IP, where the message came from. The one thing that can't be proven is who was actually typing on the other computer, but the household could still be sued. The may still be some skeletons or there would be more done.

Dec 18, 2006
OKC
I really want to give it up to Megan's parents. I'm just not that strong. If I were Megan's father I would be in jail.
I was thinking the same thing. I've never understood how fred goldman (oj victim ron goldman's father) hasn't hired a hitman. I always had a feeling that would happen.

Epperley28

Federal Marshal
Nov 11, 2005
I was thinking the same thing. I've never understood how fred goldman (oj victim ron goldman's father) hasn't hired a hitman. I always had a feeling that would happen.
He probably figured, and rightly so, that the egomaniac would hang himself eventually. Looks more and more like OJ will be spending the rest of his life in prison, even if it's for the wrong crime.

And I would also have unloaded buckshot into those other parents' skulls.

Sep 2, 2005

And after all that, something that REALLY bothered me. Putting myself in the accused family's shoes...if I KNOW that I'm responsible for my neighbor's daughter's death...why on earth do I ask them to hold my foosball table? And if they had decided to drive in my lawn, and that was the worst that had happened???.....why the hell do I take it to court with a possible counter-sue option? It seems like it would give the victim's family more ammunition and more of an excuse to come after me.

I by no means am a computer expert, but as an account holder on Myspace, I can tell you that as soon as someone deletes their account, all information is lost. All of the bulletins, comments, and messages written by the individual vanish. I am guessing this is set up to avoid using more server space than is necessary for people who no longer use an account. So if the father logged off his daughter's account, the other parent's deleted the "Josh Evans" account the same night, and then the Meier's tried to log on and recover the messages the next day or later that night, there would be no trace of messages anywhere.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Mom indicted in deadly MySpace hoax

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- A Missouri mom was indicted Thursday for her alleged role in the death of a teen who killed herself over a failed Internet romance that turned out to be a hoax.

A federal indictment accuses Lori Drew, 49, of O'Fallon, Missouri, of using the social networking Web site MySpace.com to pose as a 16-year-old boy and feign romantic interest in the girl.

The girl, Megan Meier, committed suicide after her online love interest spurned her, according to prosecutors, telling her the world would be a better place without her.

Drew faces up to 20 years in prison on charges of conspiracy and accessing protected computers to obtain information to inflict emotional distress.

The indictment, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, accuses Drew and others of registering on MySpace as "Josh Evans" and using the account to lure Meier into an an online romance.

Authorities have previously said that Drew set up the account to find out what Meier, who lived in her neighborhood, was saying about her daughter.

Prosecutors allege that Drew and the others violated MySpace's terms of service by using false information to create the account so they could "harass, abuse or harm" Meier, according to the indictment.

The two corresponded for about four weeks before "Josh" broke off the relationship, authorities said. Within an hour, Meier hanged herself in her room and died the next day.

The indictment does not allege that Drew sent the final message telling Meier the world would be a better place without her. Instead, it blames her unnamed co-conspirators, who authorities have previously said include a teenage girl.

After Drew learned of the teen's suicide, the indictment alleges, she directed one of the teens involved to "keep her mouth shut" and deleted the account.

Meier's mother, Tina Meier, told CNN in November that her daughter had self-esteem issues and had struggled with depression since childhood.

She said when her daughter began receiving messages from "Josh" telling her she was pretty, she was thrilled.

When "Josh" broke off the relationship, Tina Meier said, her daughter was devastated.

"She was looking for me to help calm herself down like I always did and be there for her. And I was upset because I didn't like the language she was using, and I was angry she didn't sign off when I told her to," Tina Meier told CNN.

"She said to me, 'You're supposed to be my mom, you're supposed to be on my side,' and then took off running upstairs," Tina Meier said.

Tina Meier found her daughter hanging by a belt shortly afterward.

"It's as if my daughter killed herself with a gun," Meier's father, Ron, told CNN. "And it's as if they loaded the gun for her."

Drew is scheduled for arraignment in June.

"This adult woman allegedly used the Internet to target a young teenage girl, with horrendous ramifications," U.S. Attorney Thomas P. O'Brien said in a written statement.

"Any adult who uses the Internet or a social gathering Web site to bully or harass another person, particularly a young teenage girl, needs to realize that their actions can have serious consequences," O'Brien said.

In December, Missouri prosecutors declined to file charges against Drew, saying there was no law under which she could be charged.

"There is no way that anybody could know that talking to someone or saying that you're mean to your friends on the Internet would create a substantial risk," St. Charles County Prosecutor Jack Banas said. "Under the law, we just couldn't show that."

okstate5968

Orange Power Goddess
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 15, 2003
Stillwater
www.remembertheten.com
I'm ok with her being indicted.

People need to realize just because you are hiding behind a keyboard does not give you the right to be a bully and do things you would never do to someone's face.

And as a mother of a teenage girl, she should have known how fragile they can be. I cannot imagine targeting someone else's child and being so cruel.

OSUCHOCTAW

Territorial Marshal
Jul 12, 2007
Stillwater, OK

:eek:HAHAHAAHA

OSUCHOCTAW

Territorial Marshal
Jul 12, 2007
Stillwater, OK
I'm ok with her being indicted.

People need to realize just because you are hiding behind a keyboard does not give you the right to be a bully and do things you would never do to someone's face.

And as a mother of a teenage girl, she should have known how fragile they can be. I cannot imagine targeting someone else's child and being so cruel.
GoonerMagic hides behind his/her screen and spouts out trash to us. He/she should be banned.