Active shooter NYC subway

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
My son lives a mile or so from there. Woke up this morning to the sirens. He's safe, but shooter is still loose.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I'll be interested next week. Right now the race is to get A story first, not get it right.
Lol, and it took 2 1/2 hours to debunk the explosives claim.

Great work again thanks to Twitter!
My understanding, is that because of the smoke, there was worry. Apparently packages and bags left behind by the passengers as they fled, had to be checked to make sure none were explosives.

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
My understanding, is that because of the smoke, there was worry. Apparently packages and bags left behind by the passengers as they fled, had to be checked to make sure none were explosives.

Wait, are you saying that "worry" is an excuse for publicizing incorrect information?

While "fireworks" are technically "unexploded devices", reporting that in context of an apparent randomized public shooting gives the impression that "unexploded devices" = something akin to pipe bombs or worse.

I hate how "reporting" has turned into just twitter broadcasting. Often wrong, with zero retraction.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Wait, are you saying that "worry" is an excuse for publicizing incorrect information?

While "fireworks" are technically "unexploded devices", reporting that in context of an apparent randomized public shooting gives the impression that "unexploded devices" = something akin to pipe bombs or worse.

I hate how "reporting" has turned into just twitter broadcasting. Often wrong, with zero retraction.
I'm only discussing the reasoning given for them saying they were searching for devices.

Mar 11, 2006
A hate crime on a public transportation system in the middle of New York City is already off the pages of most news sites.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
A hate crime on a public transportation system in the middle of New York City is already off the pages of most news sites.

I'm confused as there was a time when many of us.... especially on this board who we're up in arms over media coverage of these events and saying the media shouldn't give the shooters the game they crave

Now the narrative has changed to how much the news won't cover it and make the shooter famous ?

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I'm confused as there was a time when many of us.... especially on this board who we're up in arms over media coverage of these events and saying the media shouldn't give the shooters the game they crave

Now the narrative has changed to how much the news won't cover it and make the shooter famous ?
He's pointing out how the coverage differs if the shooter is white, or black.

When we're told that white supremacy is the biggest threat facing our nation, and two terrorist attacks perpetrated by black men within a span of months just go away within days, it's absurd and should be called such. This was a terrorist attack on the NYC subway for god's sakes and the story's not even on CNN's page. This is not an accident, it's an editorial decision that's consciously made.

"Facebook posts also show the amateur rapper, who went by his stage name, MathBoi Fly, had shared a series of links and memes relating to race and white privilege in June 2020, when protests erupted over the death of George Floyd.

Five of the six victims - all white - who died on Sunday were aged 52 to 82 and part of a Waukesha club known as the Dancing Grannies.

In a post from June 9, 2020, Brooks wrote: 'LEARNED ND TAUGHT BEHAVIOR!! so when we start bakk knokkin white people TF out ion wanna hear it...the old white ppl 2, KNOKK DEM TF OUT!! PERIOD..' followed by a middle finger and expletive emoji."

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

It's not confusing. The former is preferable to the latter but more preferable than either is that everything be treated equally and without bias by a profession that is supposed to embrace it.