Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I said early on that I had a hard time believing that police would just be waiting around. I thought it was just the media jumping to conclusions. But... wow. That seems to be exactly what happened.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
https://twitter.com/chron/status/1549113833872134150?t=9L4R9rgX55l1n01ER8g_CQ&s=19
Is that a bad thing? I understand part of being the chief executive is being there in times of grief --- tornados, floods, storms, etc. But a child's funeral is completely different.
I can't put myself in the shoes of the tremendous pain the parents are going through, but I can't imagine I would want a Governor to show up at my child's funeral. That just seems crass.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Is that a bad thing? I understand part of being the chief executive is being there in times of grief --- tornados, floods, storms, etc. But a child's funeral is completely different.
I can't put myself in the shoes of the tremendous pain the parents are going through, but I can't imagine I would want a Governor to show up at my child's funeral. That just seems crass.
If this was published by some slanted national media or pushed by Maddow...but this is The Chronicle....if they call it out then it would seem important to Texans

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I agree. I can't fathom that happening to my kids but the last thing I'd want is for their funeral to turn into something political.

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
https://twitter.com/chron/status/1549113833872134150?t=9L4R9rgX55l1n01ER8g_CQ&s=19
He doesn't show up: "Abbot doesn't care about the victims"
He shows up: "Abbot doesn't care about the victims"

No win for him. Parents probably don't want him there, best to stay away and not make yourself part of the story.

You're bordering on tabloid status, @Binman4OSU

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

No win for him. Parents probably don't want him there, best to stay away and not make yourself part of the story.

I'm bordering on Tabloid? Literally all I did was was repost a Tweet from The Houston Chronicle which is one of the most respected news papers in Texas and has a Very High accuracy rating in their reporting and tend to be one of the more Center Leaning papers published in Texas outside of their editorial board which tends to support Dem POTUS candidates recently.

You're not calling me Tabloid, You are calling The Houston Chronicle a Tabloid.

Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY

History
Founded in 1901, The Houston Chronicle is the largest daily newspaper in Houston, Texas. They have won numerous awards, including being finalists in several Pulitzer categories. The current editor is Nancy Barnes.

Funded by / Ownership
Hearst Corporation owns the Houston Chronicle, which holds many newspapers, magazines, television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Cosmopolitan, and Esquire. It owns 50% of broadcasting firm A&E Networks and 20% of the sports broadcaster ESPN with partner The Walt Disney Company. Advertising and subscriptions fees generate revenue.

Analysis / Bias
In review, the Houston Chronicle covers local news via journalists and national/international news through the Associated Press. There is minimal use of loaded language in news coverage, and all information is properly sourced. Editorially, the Houston Chronicle typically endorses Democratic candidates such as Hillary Clinton for President in 2016 and Beto O’Rourke for Senate over Republican Ted Cruz. However, the Chronicle does not always support Democratic candidates, as seen by consistent support for Republicans up until 2004 and then again in 2012 for Mitt Romney. While editorials cover both sides, more tend to favor the left.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK

And if he went to a few of the funerals, people would raise questions about the ones that he picked to go to. No win situation for him.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
And if he went to a few of the funerals, people would raise questions about the ones that he picked to go to. No win situation for him.
His office should have created an official public memorial for the event. Then got together for a day of healing type thing and bring GOP and DEM lawmakers together in the State. Have a few people speak and focus on community and state healing.

That was his only play. His staff left him open to this calling out by the Newspaper by not taking these steps. The Gov office needed a day to promote healing, prayer, and remembrance.

That was the only out he had on the topic and his staff failed him.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I've never been a fan of president/governor showing up at national disasters/tragedies. Just always seemed like a photo op more than anything thing else.

I know people grieve in different ways but I sure as hell wouldn't want a politician showing up to my child's funeral just so the media could report that he did. Screw that.

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
His office should have created an official public memorial for the event. Then got together for a day of healing type thing and bring GOP and DEM lawmakers together in the State. Have a few people speak and focus on community and state healing.

That was his only play. His staff left him open to this calling out by the Newspaper by not taking these steps. The Gov office needed a day to promote healing, prayer, and remembrance.

That was the only out he had on the topic and his staff failed him.
Good to see you're on the case and a public relations expert. :rolleyes: What else should he do?

UrbanCowboy1

Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I'm bordering on Tabloid? Literally all I did was was repost a Tweet from The Houston Chronicle which is one of the most respected news papers in Texas and has a Very High accuracy rating in their reporting and tend to be one of the more Center Leaning papers published in Texas outside of their editorial board which tends to support Dem POTUS candidates recently.

You're not calling me Tabloid, You are calling The Houston Chronicle a Tabloid.
No, I'm calling you a tabloid. :D

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Hmm... ya think?!?? :derp::mad:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/uvaldes-school-district-superintendent-recommends-164925029.html

Uvalde's school district superintendent recommends police chief Pete Arredondo be fired for 'good cause'
Rebecca Cohen,Natalie Musumeci
Wed, July 20, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Uvalde School Police Chief Pete Arredondo, third from left, stands during a news conference outside of the Robb Elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on May 26, 2022.Dario Lopez-Mills/Associated Press
  • The Uvalde schools superintendent recommended that police chief Pete Arredondo be fired.
  • Arredondo was in charge of overseeing the police response to the May 24 shooting at Robb Elementary.
  • The school board will discuss his termination at a special meeting on July 23 at 10 a.m.
The superintendent of the Uvalde, Texas, Consolidated Independent School District is recommending that Pete Arredondo — the district police chief who oversaw the response to the May 24 mass shooting at Robb Elementary — be fired from his post, an agenda for an upcoming school board meeting says.
The last item on the July 23 meeting agenda reads: "Discussion and possible action regarding termination for good cause as recommended by the Superintendent of the non-certified contract of Pete Arredondo."
UCSID Superintendent Hal Harrell did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
The board will meet at 10 a.m. this Saturday to discuss the matter.
A source close to the matter told CNN that the board notified Arredondo of the pending discussion on Tuesday.
The source added that the school board is poised to terminate Arredondo.
Arredondo has been the center of criticism around the police response to the elementary school shooting that killed 19 students and two teachers.
According to multiple reports, it took over an hour for nearly 400 police who responded to the shooting to neutralize and kill the 18-year-old gunman who entered school grounds and opened fire into adjoining fourth grade classrooms.
Arredondo admitted to ditching his radios outside of the school out of fear that they would slow him down, thwarting communication and further contributing to the chaotic response.
In a June meeting before the Texas Senate, DPS Director Col. Steven McCraw called the police response an "abject failure."
McCraw said that Arredondo "decided to place the lives of officers before the lives of children."