Active shooter at Texas elementary school

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
I can't even fully process what happened there. I hate that nothing will change. We'd be lucky to briefly have a moment of something close to unity like January 6th where it all faded away in a matter of days. That moment passed and we won't even see the false hope of that brief crossing of the aisle.

We will continue to be the only wealthy country where this happens. We look down on countries like Argentina or Chile, yet our murder rate is virtually identical. We won't even give a good faith effort to prevent the next one. Conservatives will retreat to trying to arm teachers and liberals will want gun control. There will be no compromise or creative solutions. The familiar pattern is already happening and it's just depressing.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
I can't even fully process what happened there. I hate that nothing will change. We'd be lucky to briefly have a moment of something close to unity like January 6th where it all faded away in a matter of days. That moment passed and we won't even see the false hope of that brief crossing of the aisle.

We will continue to be the only wealthy country where this happens. We look down on countries like Argentina or Chile, yet our murder rate is virtually identical. We won't even give a good faith effort to prevent the next one. Conservatives will retreat to trying to arm teachers and liberals will want gun control. There will be no compromise or creative solutions. The familiar pattern is already happening and it's just depressing.
If the kid was 18 and had no prior record, there isnt anything anyone can do to stop this from happening without infringing on the rights of American citizens. Even then it wouldn't do anything. Sometimes evil people commit evil deeds. Whether with a knife, a car, a bomb or a gun. The only thing that maybe could happen is pushing the age to own a weapon back to 21 but I mean we ask 18 year olds to go die in a rich man's war why shouldn't they be able to own a gun.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
If the kid was 18 and had no prior record, there isnt anything anyone can do to stop this from happening without infringing on the rights of American citizens. Even then it wouldn't do anything. Sometimes evil people commit evil deeds. Whether with a knife, a car, a bomb or a gun. The only thing that maybe could happen is pushing the age to own a weapon back to 21 but I mean we ask 18 year olds to go die in a rich man's war why shouldn't they be able to own a gun.

This. Does. Not. Happen. In. Any. Other. Developed. Nation.

You seem to shrug your shoulders at 19 dead children when we're the only wealthy country where that's a thing. Unless you think the US has a higher rate of evil people, in which case, we should maybe then ask why our country has such a higher rate of evil people compared with Canada, nearly all of Europe and East Asia. Then again, I shouldn't expect more. We'll have some thoughts and prayers and then retreat to our corners until the next one.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
The United States Of America has to do something to slow this kind of tragedy. Lord we all know it’s out of control right now.
America can't and won't. Actually, mass shootings that first greatly shocked the public began in 1965 from the Texas Tower. 14 people were killed with 31 injured. Flash forward to the 2017 Las Vegas mass shooting, which killed 60 and injured 411. That next to nothing was done to that record breaking mass shooting quite overwhelmingly proves America lacks the will to do anything serious about stopping mass shootings. It's important to understand an important part of American culture is that protection of 2nd Amendment rights is more important than to pass gun control laws to protect children and adults from mass shootings in the future. So, they will go on. At best, maybe it can be hoped that mental health experts can somehow do a much better job of identifying people who are likely to go on a mass shooting. After all, since it's impossible to eliminate guns, let's figure out how to ban people from society who are senselessly thinking about abusing guns to kill people. Maybe some of them are on prescribed mental health drugs:

An Uncomfortable Truth: A Look at the Corresponding Rise of Antidepressants, SSRIs, and Mass Shootings | Psychreg

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
we have a Leader of a Country currently at WAR with Russia sending the US their condolences on our elementary kids being shot up in schools and him saying that they understand.

THE LEADER OF A COUNTRY AT ACTUAL WAR CAN UNDERSTAND THE PAIN OF OUR ELEMENTARY STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMIIES.

How is this OK as Americans if we do NOTHING at all. The Status Quo has to change right ?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1529450971142692866

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The only thing that will end these mass shootings in America is not gun control or thoughts and prayers but unity as Americans to change our culture of division and hate. The responsible parties are every triggered person around us who fails to see all humanity as his brothers and sisters but rather opponents to be beaten in a political game. In my faith everyone is so valued by our Christ that he himself died personally for their redemption. That’s the value of even the guy on meth with ratty clothes you pass at the qt everyday…or the guy/gal/person you disagree with and even strongly dislike or even hate, on this board. Or especially the innocent child in a classroom. To someone who claims faith or not please look inside yourself and be a light in this world…don’t, not even for a second, cover that light by thinking of others as less than you or somehow unworthy. what can change the world? Love is the answer…always has been…by politicizing this we spit on the graves of those we have lost…let’s all commit to honor them instead by taking unified actual to fix our love problem.

unfortunately we haven’t been successful at this. It’s sad sad sad…heart wrenchingly sad…it’s a symptom of our broken culture and political discord…it’s a symptom of lovelessness and the evil that fills loves void. We can each commit to love in every interaction today…it will actually make a difference if we do.

instead of making statements about political action I would love to see a vigil of unity on the capital mall to end these attacks on schools with unity of purpose and love instead of political division..this is not a red and blue debate…our children are being slaughtered, act like humans…LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

Last edited:

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Have they even released what kind of weapon was used?
two AR-15s which he bought on his 18th birthday (in Texas you have to be 21 to buy handgun but 18 to buy rifle - makes perfect sense?!?!)
*not confirmed that these are the ones used in massacre...some sources say it was, others say not sure...

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
two AR-15s which he bought on his 18th birthday (in Texas you have to be 21 to buy handgun but 18 to buy rifle - makes perfect sense?!?!)
*not confirmed that these are the ones used in massacre...some sources say it was, others say not sure...
He also had a handgun though so I am wondering where he got that?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004

19 dead children.

Nothing can be done.

Which just have to accept it, give our thoughts and prayers, and move on to the next one.

Wow.

Yeah......no.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com

This. Does. Not. Happen. In. Any. Other. Developed. Nation.

You seem to shrug your shoulders at 19 dead children when we're the only wealthy country where that's a thing. Unless you think the US has a higher rate of evil people, in which case, we should maybe then ask why our country has such a higher rate of evil people compared with Canada, nearly all of Europe and East Asia. Then again, I shouldn't expect more. We'll have some thoughts and prayers and then retreat to our corners until the next one.
No other country has the right to bear arms in their constitution either. There are options we can do to help mitigate things like this, but it will be near impossible to entirely remove this threat.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Got an alert Biden has already started politicizing this. Not even a day and already pushing for gun control.

I don't give a $h!+ if it is 'politicized' or not (btw, both sides are doing it)...something needs to change...put down our political armor/agendas and do something...this is sickening and out of control...

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
www.reddit.com

19 dead children.

Nothing can be done.

Which just have to accept it, give our thoughts and prayers, and move on to the next one.

Wow.

Yeah......no.
Then give us something that would have stopped this from happening without infringing on the rights of American citizens then. Only thing I could think of is increasing security at schools across the country and maybe increasing the age in which to buy a weapon. But even then evil people find a way to get a weapon regardless to kill people.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
For all the "there is nothing to be done" folks out there, now would be a good time to review what perhaps the most ardent supporter of gun rights on the Supreme Court ever had to say about the Second Amendment in Heller v. DC.

Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose. See, e.g., Sheldon, in 5 Blume 346; Rawle 123; Pomeroy 152–153; Abbott333. For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues. See, e.g., State v. Chandler, 5 La. Ann., at 489–490; Nunn v. State, 1 Ga., at 251; see generally 2 Kent *340, n. 2; The American Students’ Blackstone 84, n. 11 (G. Chase ed. 1884). Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms.26

We also recognize another important limitation on the right to keep and carry arms. Miller said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those “in common use at the time.” 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of “dangerous and unusual weapons.” See 4 Blackstone 148–149 (1769); 3 B. Wilson, Works of the Honourable James Wilson 79 (1804); J. Dunlap, The New-York Justice 8 (1815); C. Humphreys, A Compendium of the Common Law in Force in Kentucky 482 (1822); 1 W. Russell, A Treatise on Crimes and Indictable Misdemeanors 271–272 (1831); H. Stephen, Summary of the Criminal Law 48 (1840); E. Lewis, An Abridgment of the Criminal Law of the United States 64 (1847); F. Wharton, A Treatise on the Criminal Law of the United States 726 (1852). See also State v. Langford, 10 N. C. 381, 383–384 (1824); O’Neill v. State, 16Ala. 65, 67 (1849); English v. State, 35Tex. 473, 476 (1871); State v. Lanier, 71 N. C. 288, 289 (1874).

It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said, the conception of the militia at the time of the Second Amendment ’s ratification was the body of all citizens capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as effective as militias in the 18th century, would require sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have limited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the protected right cannot change our interpretation of the right.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Ruben Gallego hurls expletives at Ted Cruz after he attacks Dems after Texas school massacre AZ Republic

Rep. Ruben Gallego hurled profanity at Sen. Ted Cruz after the Texas Republican worried that Democrats and the media would use the massacre of elementary students Tuesday to curb gun rights.

"F--- you @tedcruz you care about a fetus but you will let our children get slaughtered. Just get your ass to Cancun. You are useless," Gallego wrote on his personal Twitter account.

Gallego did so in response to remarks by Cruz reported by CNN.
“Inevitably when there's a murderer of this kind, you see politicians try to politicize it, you see Democrats and a lot of folks in the media whose immediate solution is to try to restrict the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens,” Cruz said.

Gallego later turned his anger at Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who had tweeted, "Our thoughts and prayers are with these families."
"F--- your prayers. They haven’t worked for the last 20 mass shootings how about passing laws that will stop these killings," Gallego said.
Gallego also ripped Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., after she condemned the shooting.
“We are horrified and heartbroken by the senseless tragedy unfolding at Robb Elementary School in Texas and grateful to the first responders for acting swiftly,” Sinema said in a statement. “No families should ever have to fear violence in their children's schools.”
“Please just stop.. unless you are willing to break the filibuster to actually pass sensible gun control measures you might as well just say ‘thoughts and prayers,’” Gallego responded.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Then give us something that would have stopped this from happening without infringing on the rights of American citizens then. Only thing I could think of is increasing security at schools across the country and maybe increasing the age in which to buy a weapon. But even then evil people find a way to get a weapon regardless to kill people.

You don't understand what the 2nd Amendment rights of American Citizens actually are, then.

And you're going with the same old saw of letting "perfection be the enemy of good" by claiming that nothing can be done to ease or decrease gun violence unless you can be convinced that it will stop all violence with all weapons.

That, frankly, is an asinine argument. You are essentially arguing that unless we can eliminate all violence from evil people, we can't justify doing anything to lessen the destruction being wrought.

I'll give you one thing we could do today that would help and that is clearly and obviously completely constitutional.....

"Red flag" Petitions similar to Victim Protective Orders that would authorize seizure of weapons upon factual showings of threat or mental disability/instability that actually have some teeth. Temporary seizure of firearms subject to hearing within 48 hours of seizure. Emergency telephonic seizure orders like we have emergency victim protective orders granted.

Would it END all the violence? No. Will it help lessen the violence? I think so.

Last edited: