8% Chance for CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It would probably help our cause if we could actually start putting up some decent point totals. Our offense hasn’t been real impressive thus far.
Obviously it's really early. We need to put up some bigger point totals vs Texas next weekend...

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Visions of an 8-team play off was already seen during the CFP 1st year where TCU got snubbed from the playoff that year whose only loss was to a #6 Baylor team where the game was decided by 3 points.

With that said, an 11-0 OSU will get in the play off. We just gotta win. Next game is Texas, and I believe they are looking for revenge from their 2018 playoff run to spoil ours.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
We do not get in without everyone else having two losses. Min 2 from sec, one loss big10 is a lock. Clemson is a lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Incorrect. An undefeated P5 conference champion will always make the CFP unless of course there are 5 undefeated conference champions.

Suggest you ignore the talk radio knuckleheads. There’s a reason why most don’t have regular jobs.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Will not be surprised if the "EYE TEST" comes into play regarding the CFP

Especially with ESPN
Of course they use they eye test, the criteria is the 4 best teams. Not conference champs, not highest ranked, not best record, just 4 best teams and picked by the committee.
Slight correction. The committee has stated it will give the most objective credit to conference champions.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Visions of an 8-team play off was already seen during the CFP 1st year where TCU got snubbed from the playoff that year whose only loss was to a #6 Baylor team where the game was decided by 3 points.

With that said, an 11-0 OSU will get in the play off. We just gotta win. Next game is Texas, and I believe they are looking for revenge from their 2018 playoff run to spoil ours.
They beat us last year so we have the revenge factor. Was Spenser's first conference game and he made some great plays and some bone headed mistakes. Got to eliminate those mistakes and we will be fine at home...just need to play our game on offense, defense and special teams. I think it's good our FG kicker had his one allowed miss for the year. ;-)

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
“The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games (the game rotated among four existing bowl games from the 1998 to 2005 season, and was a separate game from the 2006 to 2013 seasons). The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) was contractually bound to vote the winner of this game as the BCS National Champion and the contract signed by each conference required them to recognize the winner of the BCS National Championship game as the official and only champion. The BCS was created to end split championships and for the champion to win the title on the field between the two teams selected by the BCS”
That’s not how I remember it. I thought the college playoff system was created to get a champion who wins it on the field and to get it away from the BCS “Eye Test”!
the playoff came about because they power that be preferred the eye test over polls and computers

Jun 4, 2007
Broken Arrow, Ok
That’s not how I remember it. I thought the college playoff system was created to get a champion who wins it on the field and to get it away from the BCS “Eye Test”!
IMHO, it's not much of a playoff "system" when 4 out of 130 teams (3%) get an actual playoff game. I understand it can't be all 130 but it has to be expanded to be legitimate.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
the playoff came about because they power that be preferred the eye test over polls and computers
"the powers that be" are the blue blood boosters and ESPN. This is why it needs to be 8 teams or we will never get a fair shot unless we are undefeated and it's obvious. Otherwise we aren't getting in because of the eye test on our fan base being too small. Thus their opinion that we won't buy enough tickets or that we will hurt ratings. This is the problem for everyone not considered a blue blood team.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
“The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings, and to narrow the field to two teams to play in the BCS National Championship Game held after the other college bowl games (the game rotated among four existing bowl games from the 1998 to 2005 season, and was a separate game from the 2006 to 2013 seasons). The American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) was contractually bound to vote the winner of this game as the BCS National Champion and the contract signed by each conference required them to recognize the winner of the BCS National Championship game as the official and only champion. The BCS was created to end split championships and for the champion to win the title on the field between the two teams selected by the BCS”
The CFP poll is the “eye test” and determines who gets in the playoffs. It’s never going to be anything but completely biased and political until you get at least eight teams. Even with eight teams there will still be bias and politics for the last 2-3 spots but at least you will get most of the very best teams in the playoffs without quite as much exclusion of the non-blue bloods.....

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
The CFP poll is the “eye test” and determines who gets in the playoffs. It’s never going to be anything but completely biased and political until you get at least eight teams. Even with eight teams there will still be bias and politics for the last 2-3 spots but at least you will get most of the very best teams in the playoffs without quite as much exclusion of the non-blue bloods.....
Is it biased and political when they always get it right?

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Is it biased and political when they always get it right?

I don’t know, have they gotten one right yet?

Nov 18, 2010
“The BCS relied on a combination of polls and computer selection methods to determine relative team rankings,
I do remember the 'computer formulas' being touted as an 'objective' way to rank teams.
Except these computer formulas could only rank Strength of Schedule by using human rankings, which always seemed to have SEC team's opponents being highly ranked all year.

Nov 18, 2010
I also remember that they wouldn't reveal their BCS 'computer formulas' to the public....so no one could double check their math. If LSU or another SEC/big 10 team needed computer A/B/C's 'computed score' to go up by .4 points...there was no way for the public to double check it's math...

5 conf champs is the only truly objective (fair) way. Everything else boils down to eye tests and opinions, no matter how many 'algorithms' you hide behind. Which is acceptable for the additional 3 teams in an 8 team playoff.

Its such an obvious and simple solution, you know they'll keep kicking it down the road as long as possible.

Last edited: