5 Active Coaches have won a National Championship.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Only 5 active FBS Head Coaches have won an NCAA Football National Championship in FBS.

Can you name them?

Don't cheat, no googling....

Last edited:

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
Only 5 active Coaches have won an NCAA Football National Championship.

Can you name them?

Kirby Smart
Nick Saban
Dabo Sweeny
Jimbo Fisher
Gene Chizik
Mack Brown

Gene Chizik isn’t a head coach but still an active coach

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I didn't count Chizik, but I guess one could...

(7) - Saban - '03 LSU, 09/'11/'12/'15/'17/'20 Alabama
(2) - Swinney - '16/'18 Clemson
(1) - Smart - '21 Georgia
(1) - Fisher - '13 Florida St
(1) - Brown - '05 Texas.

If you look at winning percentage, Bowl record, record against Ranked opponents, consecutive winning seasons, etc... You could probably make a case for Gundy being the 6th "best" Head Coach in college football today, behind these five...

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
They ran this "AFLAC trivia" question during the North Carolina game yesterday. 3 came quick for me. Since it was the North Carolina game, Mack Brown kinda was a no brainer. Took me most of the commercial break to come up with Jimbo Fischer

Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa
NCAA Football is more than just FBS.

Brian Kelly and Chuck Martin both won national championships at Grand Valley State.

Lance Liepold won championships at Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Didn’t Bohl at Wyoming win at NDSU?

There are quite a few others that won NCAA national championships in other that are still coaching.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Again, this was the Aflec Trivia question on Saturday and may have been a bit more specific than I posted. Maybe they said active FBS head coaches. Don't remember the specific wording. I think most folks got the gist.

The answer was the five that I posted. Period. Done...

Feb 28, 2007

Can you name them?

The NCAA does not award a national championship to anyone in Division 1 football. They won't approve a champion without a tournament. Through the years schools started calling themselves national champions if they ended up #1 in one or more of the polls like the AP or UPI OR coach's poll. That's why there are many years multiple schools call themselves national champs in the same year. Like in 1945 Army was chosen by the AP, but OSU was #1 in another poll (and undefeated) and can still claim the championship too. Alabama has claimed about 10, USC has claimed 5 I believe, even though in some of those years they were not #1 in the AP. The football p!layoffs now have 4 team tournament, but they don't want the NCAA official approval, because they don't want to share the money.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Again, this was the Aflec Trivia question on Saturday and may have been a bit more specific than I posted. Maybe they said active FBS head coaches. Don't remember the specific wording. I think most folks got the gist.

The answer was the five that I posted. Period. Done...
It was a test of common sense. Proud to be one of the three who passed.

And got the correct answer.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
OK, I edited the original post to make it more clear for the learning impaired...

The answer (and only answer) is as follows:

(7) - Saban - '03 LSU, 09/'11/'12/'15/'17/'20 Alabama
(2) - Swinney - '16/'18 Clemson
(1) - Smart - '21 Georgia
(1) - Fisher - '13 Florida St
(1) - Brown - '05 Texas.

Aug 27, 2021
Tulsa

Can you name them?

The NCAA does not award a national championship to anyone in Division 1 football. They won't approve a champion without a tournament. Through the years schools started calling themselves national champions if they ended up #1 in one or more of the polls like the AP or UPI OR coach's poll. That's why there are many years multiple schools call themselves national champs in the same year. Like in 1945 Army was chosen by the AP, but OSU was #1 in another poll (and undefeated) and can still claim the championship too. Alabama has claimed about 10, USC has claimed 5 I believe, even though in some of those years they were not #1 in the AP. The football p!layoffs now have 4 team tournament, but they don't want the NCAA official approval, because they don't want to share the money.
The NCAA does award Division I football championships… in FCS.