2nd half scoring woes.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I agree. It sets the tone. Plus we do a good job of scheming to begin games. We've scored TDs on our first drives the last two weeks.

Texas doesn't tackle well on the back end so we should have success with our offensive attack against them. And even if we don't have immediate success, our D has stepped up all year. This team has proven that they fight to the end and don't get overwhelmed. Really impressive given how we've been forced to play so many freshman and backups due to injury.

It exciting to think how good we may end up being if we get and stay healthy.
Texas tackled very good and forced turnovers in the first half against OU yesterday. SS had 3 turnovers against a vanilla Baylor defense. Our offensive attack is weak. We haven’t played anyone as good as Texas or as well coached as Texas. If we do what we have been doing on the offensive side of the ball, we will lost by 2 TD’s. Texas will come out and load the box against us and force SS to throw the ball. I’m hoping we have been playing opossum on the offensive side of the ball and we’ll open it up this weekend. I hope I have to eat a lot of crow after next weekends game.
Unless I'm mistaking you for somebody else, didn't you say basically the same thing about the Baylor game?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2011
Unless I'm mistaking you for somebody else, didn't you say basically the same thing about the Baylor game?

Several threads on here that even as of Saturday morning were loaded with some freezing cold takes. Some of those didn't last through the day, much less the game they were aimed at. Some folks need to go revisit some of the crap they've spouted in the last few weeks. Hope this week is no different, and they can use them crow-eating forks some more.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
A good punishing three and out by our defense against them to start the third quarter would be awesome. And it appears it would deflate Texas.

Agreed. But they will be the best offense we’ve faced so far. And it will be a must win for Texas to have a chance at a Big 12 ccg. And Sarkisian is the real deal. Easily the best coach we’ll face so far. On the road, I just don’t like our chances. I’m hoping to eat major crow.

Dec 2, 2008
SC

I don’t believe so. But it’s a possibility. Our offense is a ticking time bomb and not in a good way.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
A good punishing three and out by our defense against them to start the third quarter would be awesome. And it appears it would deflate Texas.

Agreed. But they will be the best offense we’ve faced so far. And it will be a must win for Texas to have a chance at a Big 12 ccg. And Sarkisian is the real deal. Easily the best coach we’ll face so far. On the road, I just don’t like our chances. I’m hoping to eat major crow.
We have only lost once in the last six trips to Austin so there’s no fear in playing there for our guys. And although Spencer had too many turnovers which ended up costing us the game in overtime last year, he’s played his ass off against Texas and seems to have something to prove when we play them. Hopefully he’ll play as aggressively as last year but with less mistakes this Saturday!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
News Flash! We’re 4-0. Meaning we have scored every time we needed to.

Before Boise - we had zero running game. Now it looks like we have one of the top backs in the league.

Before KSU - we never got to see our potential in the passing game due to injuries.Now it’s obvious what a healthy TM means to this offense.

We’re coming together at just the right time. Offensively - we have gotten better every single week. Focus on the positives man. Have fun being a fan.
Agree with the fact of our record, although the rest is a bit misleading because much of it is more due to our defense stepping up when we needed them to. Many times our offense just went into a shell, we went 3 and out, punted, and just hoped our D held on. We can’t do that against many remaining teams.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Agree with the fact of our record, although the rest is a bit misleading because much of it is more due to our defense stepping up when we needed them to. Our offense went into a shell, we went 3 and out, punt, and just hope our D holds on. We can’t do that against many remaining teams.
Both things can be true.

There is ZERO doubt that the ONLY reason we’re in this position is because our defense has stepped up in massive way.

But it does not change the fact that throughout the season our offense has gotten better every single week playing against much better defenses. I think we will continue to grow offensively and they will get better and form an identity. Limit turnovers and drive stopping penalties, and we will be able to compete.

I predict a massive offensive performance this week for several reasons.

The week off will give us a chance to rest up, heal up, and practice as a unit. Extra time to breakdown film on themselves as well as Texas.

Texas might be the worst P5 defense (sans Kansas) we play all year. Texas has played 5 P5 schools and given up 39 ppg (40,35,27,55).

On the flip side this is by far the best offense we have played and maybe will play. I don’t expect the defense to be as dominant here but I can see them slowing them down.

My concern here is the deep ball. We have been fortunate in the past playing teams that missed the throw or dropped the pass. There have been some great defensive plays, breakups etc but I think some of those are a result of late/underthrown balls or lack of speed/ability of the WR.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Both things can be true.

There is ZERO doubt that the ONLY reason we’re in this position is because our defense has stepped up in massive way.

But it does not change the fact that throughout the season our offense has gotten better every single week playing against much better defenses. I think we will continue to grow offensively and they will get better and form an identity. Limit turnovers and drive stopping penalties, and we will be able to compete.

The week off will give us a chance to rest up, heal up, and practice as a unit. Extra time to breakdown film on themselves as well as Texas.

Texas might be the worst P5 defense (sans Kansas) we play all year. Texas has played 5 P5 schools and given up 39 ppg (40,35,27,55).

On the flip side this is by far the best offense we have played and maybe will play. I don’t expect the defense to be as dominant here but I can see them slowing them down.

My concern here is the deep ball. We have been fortunate in the past playing teams that missed the throw or dropped the pass. There have been some great defensive plays, breakups etc but I think some of those are a result of late/underthrown balls or lack of speed/ability of the WR.
Sure hope you're right on both counts.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
We have only lost once in the last six trips to Austin so there’s no fear in playing there for our guys. And although Spencer had too many turnovers which ended up costing us the game in overtime last year, he’s played his ass off against Texas and seems to have something to prove when we play them. Hopefully he’ll play as aggressively as last year but with less mistakes this Saturday!
How many on the current roster have played in Austen?

Jun 14, 2011
If it is a bomb, when does it explode and what does that mean? An offense "exploding" typically means good things, however, here you have "our offense is a ticking time bomb and not in a good way". Does that mean the bomb not going off or exploding is bad? Under your scenario, continuing to tick and not explode is the bad and then exploding is also bad? My head hurts trying to digest this.

Oct 1, 2006
USA
www.yahoo.com
If it is a bomb, when does it explode and what does that mean? An offense "exploding" typically means good things, however, here you have "our offense is a ticking time bomb and not in a good way". Does that mean the bomb not going off or exploding is bad? Under your scenario, continuing to tick and not explode is the bad and then exploding is also bad? My head hurts trying to digest this.
His version of our offense exploding is undoubtedly a Spencer Sanders turnover.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Well, I read it as our offense was a "tickling time bomb." That didn't help.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Does Texas' collapse vs. OU help or hurt OSU's chances Saturday? Mike Gundy has a few thoughts.
Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy would tell his players the unapologetic truth.

That’s how the veteran coach would handle the task of helping a team recover from a crushing collapse against a rival.

This is why it happened. This is what happened. This is what was good and bad. This is how to fix things. This is the plan to make things better.

“That’s the way you deal with young people today, in my opinion, is you tell them the truth,” Gundy said.

First-year Texas coach Steve Sarkisian is tasked with the challenge of refocusing his team when the No. 12-ranked Cowboys travel to Austin at 11 a.m. Saturday, just a week after the Longhorns let a 21-point advantage slip away against Red River rival OU.

Gundy was asked at his weekly media luncheon Monday afternoon if that kind of result helped or hurt the Cowboys’ chances.

He pondered that question himself over the weekend. He still struggled to come up with a concrete belief.

“I don’t know anymore,” Gundy said. “I’m guessing that they were upset — not visibly, but just dejected, maybe. But they pay Sarkisian a lot of money to fix ‘em and get it right this week. He’s got a lot of experience, so I’m sure he’ll handle it the right way emotionally.”

Gundy said he’s learned in his 16 seasons as OSU’s head coach the best way to prepare his players after such a loss is to be honest.

He does that with his coaching staff.

“Sometimes they don’t always want to hear that, player or coach,” Gundy said, “but for me that’s what I’ve learned being the head coach for a long time.”

Tramel's ScissorTales:OU & OSU 1-2 in Big 12 rankings, and College Football Playoff hopes rise

‘I know who we are’:Mike Gundy confident in what he has seen from Cowboys through five weeks

Mike Gundy on Spencer Sanders’ interceptions: ‘It’s not all his fault’

More than a week ago, OSU quarterback Spencer Sanders threw three interceptions in the 24-14 win over Baylor.

With the extra film study of the bye week, Gundy was able to dive into what went wrong and what was right about Sanders.

The biggest issue: Sanders did not get his feet set for multiple throws, even on ones not intercepted.

“It’s not all his fault,” Gundy said. “We didn’t protect him very well.”

Gundy then demonstrated a golf swing, showing that if Sanders swung a club he would have had his weight entirely on his back foot.

“He’s not square, he’s not balanced, he’s not athletic and he’s not moving forward in a position to be an effective thrower,” Gundy said. “Three of four of those times wasn’t his fault. There was a bad guy in his face.

“A couple times was his fault, because he didn’t set his feet, maybe anticipating that.”

Gundy said the issue has been identified. Sanders and quarterbacks coach Tim Rattay are working to fix the problem.

One way to fix it is research. Gundy said studying NFL stars like Tom Brady helps. Gundy did not recommend Patrick Mahomes — “I wouldn’t look at his footwork and try to go to a clinic.”

But Sanders also needs protection. He had that against Kansas State, a game he threw for 344 yards and two touchdowns. Against Baylor, he threw for 182 yards and a touchdown along with the three picks.

'He'll take it 40 times a game':Managing Jaylen Warren's workload crucial for Oklahoma State

Mike Gundy said he’s learned in his 16 seasons as OSU’s head coach the best way to prepare his players after a big loss is to be honest.
Kolby Harvell-Peel stepping up

Gundy remains impressed with safety Kolby Harvell-Peel as a player and a leader.

“Harvell-Peel has been excellent for us as a leader," Gundy said. “He’s practiced extremely hard, he’s played hard and he’s enjoying the year.

“In my opinion, he’s doing what we try to get our children to do is embrace where you’re at in life and live for this day and don’t worry about whatever; just have fun. He’s doing that this year.”

Harvell-Peel, a senior, has been a dynamic safety in his four years. In 2019, he was first team All-Big 12 and was voted the team’s most valuable defensive player.

Last season, he was second team All-Big 12 and fourth on the team with 44 tackles. He also had two interceptions.

But this year he’s been better with 27 tackles and two interceptions through five games.

Www.lucchese.com/Lucchese/Shoes See more →
“I thought last year he played good but not great,” Gundy said. “I think this year he’s playing great up to this point.

“Now, he’s made a mistake or whatever, but still, he has really helped our team from a leadership standpoint.”

Oklahoma State at Texas football:Broadcast info, betting line, matchup breakdown

Zach Middleton getting chance on special teams

Second-year running back Zach Middleton has become a valuable special teams player.

The Tulsa Bishop Kelley graduate was moved to one of the Cowboys’ kick return positions against Baylor.

“He’s always practiced really hard and done well,” Gundy said. “He’s a little bit of a jack of all trades in a lot of areas on special teams and can help us do different things.”

‘We’re in good shape’:Mike Gundy says Oklahoma State's 2022 recruiting class nearly full

Injury update

Gundy thought running back Dez Jackson would have a chance to return from an injury against Baylor, but Jackson did not practice.

There remains a chance he could return this week.

There is also the possibility that defensive ends Brock Martin (dislocated elbow) and Tyren Irby (knee) could also return.

Gundy also said receivers Bryson Green and John Paul Richardson are back.

Nov 6, 2010
Both things can be true.

Interesting thoughts, I think you're right. On the bye week for our offense, I read where Gundy said they finally got to practice R. Owens at just 1 position this week because of the other receivers that are back now. That has to make a big difference for both him and Sanders.

On defense I have to think our coaches see the same thing and are worried about their athletes at WR, so I wonder if we'll see a little less aggression on D and more safety help. Of course that means Robinson will have more room to run and they'll probably convert more third downs than what we're used to giving up, but I think making Thompson execute is probably a better strategy than taking chances. But I think I'd rather make them burn us once before we play cautious as opposed to letting their offense get into rhythm early.

Mar 7, 2020
Oklahoma City
FWIW I believe we are catching Texas at the best time possible coming after the RRR while we were on a bye.

The Texas offense has figured some things out....on the other side of the ball the game plan that 2nd half was abysmal. They weren't even trying to put pressure on Williams...They just let him sit in the pocket and take the game away.

This will be the biggest test by far to this point for the defense. I would love to see them rise to the occasion. The secondary will be tested..because we know Jim Knowles is gonna bring pressure. The thing osu can't do is lose the turnover battle 3-0 again.

I like the spot for the Cowboys this week. Should be a good game.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
FWIW I believe we are catching Texas at the best time possible coming after the RRR while we were on a bye.

The Texas offense has figured some things out....on the other side of the ball the game plan that 2nd half was abysmal. They weren't even trying to put pressure on Williams...They just let him sit in the pocket and take the game away.

This will be the biggest test by far to this point for the defense. I would love to see them rise to the occasion. The secondary will be tested..because we know Jim Knowles is gonna bring pressure. The thing osu can't do is lose the turnover battle 3-0 again.

I like the spot for the Cowboys this week. Should be a good game.
I don’t like the spot. Our QB is sketchy at best, Texas loading the box against the run is going to be way more difficult than any other team we’ve played so far. Our defense hasn’t faced a RB or offensive line of this caliber, Texas wasn’t prepared for a Caleb Williams to come in the game and stay in the game. This is a must win for Texas to have any chance of playing in the conference championship game. I think our defense will play well enough for us to win but the offense will let us down.