2nd half scoring woes.....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Through 4 games, we have scored a total of 24 points in the second half. That's an average of just 6 points per game. Keep in mind, 21 of those points were against Tulsa. So absent the Tulsa game, we are averaging just 1 point per game against Miss St/Boise/KSU.

That won't work.... We must do better in the 2nd half if we are going to win games...

Apr 7, 2006
Well we narrowly missed on a deep throw that would've almost certainly scored a touchdown, had a 15 yard penalty that took us out of a drive we were moving the ball in and missed 2 field goals. So unlike Missouri State or Boise State, I'd say we just had a few miscues against KSU that drastically changed the second half output.

Sep 15, 2006
Well we narrowly missed on a deep throw that would've almost certainly scored a touchdown, had a 15 yard penalty that took us out of a drive we were moving the ball in and missed 2 field goals. So unlike Missouri State or Boise State, I'd say we just had a few miscues against KSU that drastically changed the second half output.
Make that TWO 15 yard penalties that were drive killers, the offensive PI and the unsportsmanlike conduct, which should have been a roughing the passer and an ejection of No. 5 for deliberate attempt to twist and injure Spencer's leg.

Speaking of No. 5 for the Cats, did all see Warren pick up what I assume was that guy's mouthpiece off the turf and throw it away?

I also think he was the guy that Sills steamrolled ... good stuff!

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I agree in that I do not think that the offense went into a shell but that lack of production was more a cause of costly penalties and Spencer's two bad passes of the game. one to Martin and the near TD to Green. Also thought KSU punter was a weapon and that most of our drives started inside our 15 in the second half. Unless KSU proved it could score on our defense, there was no reason for our offense to take chances and give them a score.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I agree in that I do not think that the offense went into a shell but that lack of production was more a cause of costly penalties and Spencer's two bad passes of the game. one to Martin and the near TD to Green. Also thought KSU punter was a weapon and that most of our drives started inside our 15 in the second half. Unless KSU proved it could score on our defense, there was no reason for our offense to take chances and give them a score.
KSU punter was unbelievable. Those were booming punts with almost every one of having the hang time necessary for good coverage. Pretty sure he wasn't even from Australia.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Get outta here with your rational thinking.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Through 4 games, we have scored a total of 24 points in the second half. That's an average of just 6 points per game. Keep in mind, 21 of those points were against Tulsa. So absent the Tulsa game, we are averaging just 1 point per game against Miss St/Boise/KSU.

That won't work.... We must do better in the 2nd half if we are going to win games...
Against Tulsa, we were playing from behind.

I rather that we were ahead. Even though we didn't score much in the 2nd half...just as long we were ahead and can protect the leads. Just don't get behind...and they don't ever get to lead....whatever they are...bears, possums, beavers, cats, tigers, bottom dogs, broncos, mustangs or even skunks.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa

News Flash! We’re 4-0. Meaning we have scored every time we needed to.

Before Boise - we had zero running game. Now it looks like we have one of the top backs in the league.

Before KSU - we never got to see our potential in the passing game due to injuries.Now it’s obvious what a healthy TM means to this offense.

We’re coming together at just the right time. Offensively - we have gotten better every single week. Focus on the positives man. Have fun being a fan.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
many of the KSU game 2nd half scoring woes were self-inflected penalties.
TM push-off PI
Retaliation sportsmanship on OL
Holding on Jake S.

Clean that up and we'd look alot better.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
many of the KSU game 2nd half scoring woes were self-inflected penalties.
TM push-off PI
Retaliation sportsmanship on OL
Holding on Jake S.

Clean that up and we'd look alot better.

I'm kinda OK with those though...

I think the ref's know they've missed something when that happens, or I hope they do anyway.

Jul 18, 2013
Make that TWO 15 yard penalties that were drive killers, the offensive PI and the unsportsmanlike conduct, which should have been a roughing the passer and an ejection of No. 5 for deliberate attempt to twist and injure Spencer's leg.

Speaking of No. 5 for the Cats, did all see Warren pick up what I assume was that guy's mouthpiece off the turf and throw it away?

I also think he was the guy that Sills steamrolled ... good stuff!
I am late to this thread but Warren absolutely threw his mouthpiece. My son and I were laughing hysterically. It was like the guy said something about losing it and both players saw it at the same time but Warren was faster to pick it up and throw it as hard as he could.

Funniest part was seeing the guy look at the ref like, "did you see that?" and looking for a flag but the ref wouldn't throw it. I'm sure the ref ran the whole sequence through his head and just couldn't imagine caling a personal foul for throwing a mouthpiece... it was awesome.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I have a crazy thought that goes against everything I previously believed about what you should do if you win or lose the opening coin flip.

Based on how we have played to start games and how we have played in the 3rd quarter on offense in all 5 games, I am hoping that whether we win or lose the coin flip, we take the ball. If they win the coin flip, they'll defer and we more than likely will get the ball anyway. However, if we win the toss, I think we should choose to receive to start the game.

I think we have a good chance of scoring on our first possession and history this season suggests as much. I think I would rather start the 3rd quarter with a solid defensive stand giving the ball back to our offense. It seems like every 3rd quarter we receive the kickoff and go 3-and-out setting the tone for what has been five terrible 3rd quarters on offense so far. It seems like we do well at the first of the game and teams make halftime adjustments and we become ineffective on offense.

So for for those reasons, if it were up to me I say take the ball to start the game, score and don't look back! Our defense this year plays extremely well with a lead!

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I have a crazy thought that goes against everything I previously believed about what you should do if you win or lose the opening coin flip.

Based on how we have played to start games and how we have played in the 3rd quarter on offense in all 5 games, I am hoping that whether we win or lose the coin flip, we take the ball. If they win the coin flip, they'll defer and we more than likely will get the ball anyway. However, if we win the toss, I think we should choose to receive to start the game.

I think we have a good chance of scoring on our first possession and history this season suggests as much. I think I would rather start the 3rd quarter with a solid defensive stand giving the ball back to our offense. It seems like every 3rd quarter we receive the kickoff and go 3-and-out setting the tone for what has been five terrible 3rd quarters on offense so far. It seems like we do well at the first of the game and teams make halftime adjustments and we become ineffective on offense.

So for for those reasons, if it were up to me I say take the ball to start the game, score and don't look back! Our defense this year plays extremely well with a lead!
I agree with you as long as we come out with a different offensive scheme than what we’ve had so far. What we’ve done will not work against Texass. If we come out and have a 3 and out to start the game, it’ll be hard for us to recover on the road.

Jan 14, 2006

I agree. It sets the tone. Plus we do a good job of scheming to begin games. We've scored TDs on our first drives the last two weeks.

Texas doesn't tackle well on the back end so we should have success with our offensive attack against them. And even if we don't have immediate success, our D has stepped up all year. This team has proven that they fight to the end and don't get overwhelmed. Really impressive given how we've been forced to play so many freshman and backups due to injury.

It exciting to think how good we may end up being if we get and stay healthy.

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I agree. It sets the tone. Plus we do a good job of scheming to begin games. We've scored TDs on our first drives the last two weeks.

Texas doesn't tackle well on the back end so we should have success with our offensive attack against them. And even if we don't have immediate success, our D has stepped up all year. This team has proven that they fight to the end and don't get overwhelmed. Really impressive given how we've been forced to play so many freshman and backups due to injury.

It exciting to think how good we may end up being if we get and stay healthy.
Texas tackled very good and forced turnovers in the first half against OU yesterday. SS had 3 turnovers against a vanilla Baylor defense. Our offensive attack is weak. We haven’t played anyone as good as Texas or as well coached as Texas. If we do what we have been doing on the offensive side of the ball, we will lost by 2 TD’s. Texas will come out and load the box against us and force SS to throw the ball. I’m hoping we have been playing opossum on the offensive side of the ball and we’ll open it up this weekend. I hope I have to eat a lot of crow after next weekends game.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

A good punishing three and out by our defense against them to start the third quarter would be awesome. And it appears it would deflate Texas.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk