#24 Cowboy Basketball gets Swept by TCU. #4 Texas Longhorns on SATURDAY in GIA.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2020
Tulsa
I don't think the Capel comparison is fair. Sampson built a national brand and his kids he left behind had a toughness. Capel built on that with some early signings. Got caught in some cheating and flamed out.
All I am saying is there are enough similarities to be concerned, especially in-game coaching skills.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I always said this would be year to really evaluate Boynton’s progress as a Big 12 coach after his first 3 full years. Unfortunately, I see too many areas where there should be improvement...even for a young team. Case in point, Ice should be improving in several areas(i.e. free throws). He is a junior and he has regressed in his skills. Secondly, where is the 110% effort by all on both ends of the floor game after game? I have not seen it in any year under Boynton.

Anyway, I think Holder’s experiment of bringing in an assistant coach who has no head coaching experience at any collegiate level and then having to deal with the highest of expectations of the Big 12 conference has failed.

Those who would argue that he needs more time has lost sight of the fact that this is BIG 12 basketball...it aint intramurals!!!
This year is an anomaly. Whether we're talking football, basketball or ping pong, the athletic department is in no position to think about something as expensive as a coaching change.

Dec 9, 2013
Couldn't agree more with a lot of your points. I'll preface my points by saying I really like Coach Boynton as well and really want him to be here for the long term. That said, and I said this after the West Virginia game, he won't survive if he continues with the late game collapses. For a coaching bench with 3 individuals who are or have been head coaches, our late game coaching decisions are very poor.

I also don't like the lack of coaching going on around Cade. Everyone realizes he's going to be drafted in the lottery (though if I was a GM, I'm not sure I'd draft him), but when a lottery pick's +/- in a game versus TCU is -10, something is off. Without question the offense has much more movement when Cade isn't in the game. When he's in the game, our offense typically reverts to the James Harden Houston offense of dribble, dribble, dribble and drive into a double team. This isn't a shot at Cade, but at the coaching staff. Cade excels in an uptempo, open court scenario (as does the rest of our very quick and athletic roster). However, when Cade walks the ball upcourt (as he did the last 5 or so possessions last night), the rest of our team stands and watches. Again, coaching.

Defensively, I think this roster excels when they play an active zone defense. Think back to the Marquette game. They were destroyed last night by TCU's back cuts when they played man. Again, our roster is very quick and athletic, which is perfect for an active zone defense.

Last, I'm not sure what happened to Ice and Boone last night. I never thought I'd see the day when Ice was benched - maybe he's injured? Boone reverted to his early season form where he looked lost on the court, after playing three outstanding games in a row. This team has to have Boone play well to succeed.

I'll never understand bad free throw shooting. I played in a very competitive hoops league about 5 years ago at the age of 50 - stupid decision, as it resulted in a planter fascitis issue. However, before I was injured, I was 16 of 20 at the free throw line, and I hadn't played in over 10 years. How does a 20 year old who practices for multiple hours every day not shoot at least 75% from the free throw line? For everyone who throws out Shaq as an example, I respond with Karl Malone. His first year in the NBA he shot sub 50% from the free throw line. He finished his NBA career with an overall FT% of 74%. He practiced shooting free throws.
If you can stomach it watch Scott Sutton’s body language the last 15 seconds of the game. I don’t think he’s relying on the assistants w previous head coaching experience which is probably why they were brought in to begin with.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
This was TCU’s best game. They were hitting 3’s (late game) and getting favorable calls. They were in a 5 loss losing streak. We happened to break that. This is all negligible when we beat Texas.

Mark my words....we will be defeat the Longhorns in Stillwater come this Saturday*

*barring a full team of course.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Just said ice has had foot issue for 3 weeks. Does not have his typical explosiveness. Has been trying to play through it.
Between that, the poor free throws, Kalin not playing the way he did the last few games, and Cade not holding or passing the ball longer to allow us the last shot. Those are what truly lost us the game.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk