#24 Cowboy Basketball gets Swept by TCU. #4 Texas Longhorns on SATURDAY in GIA.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
We just allowed 81 points to TCU. They shot 49%. TCU scored 51 against KU, 46 against OU, 49 against Baylor. They average 69 points per game, but scored 81 and 77 against OSU.

The only teams in league play that we've held under 70 are Iowa State and KSU. In the games we've won in league play we had to score 82, 75, 81, and 70. Two of those wins are against AWFUL basketball teams.

One thing all five of our conference losses have in common? Allowed over 75 points in each of them.

Our four wins? Only Texas Tech scored over 77 and that was OT.

Seems like if we could just hold a team below 75 points, the record wouldn't be 4--5.
Our defense is complete shit. That is being kind to shit. We don't stay in front of our man. Back door cuts. Don't defensive rebound.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
We absolutely do not get beaten off the dribble, the strength of this entire team is the perimeter defense. There’s absolutely no help if they do penetrate because we have no big rim protection, which actually hurts us way more in half court d.

It’s more like trying not to play prevent defense and use the pressure of the moment against them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're arguing from a weak position, since we did in fact allow an uncontested layup when the game mattered most.

We may not be watching the same game. We overplay and foul, we overplay and allow back door cuts, we over play and allow guards to drive. TCU had 25 two point baskets, how many of those were jump shots? Most were layups.
You’ve never heard of a range of outcomes? Because it didn’t work it must have been wrong? I like that Boyton actually tried to play to the team’s strengths, and this team’s strengths is causing chaos with perimeter defense.

As for your point about 25 2 point baskets, I would direct you to 1) easy points off turnovers 2) their bigs absolutely working us. They had a lot of points and 11 offensive rebounds. It was a true nightmare for Boone today and while MAM hung in there in the first half the second half didn’t go his way either.

Dec 9, 2013
That’s absolutely not why we lost to WV. We lost to WV because Culver went for 22 points and 19 rebounds, all of that coming off of half court post ups. Pressing had nothing to do with it.

If you don’t think we’re good defensively you need to find some fans of other teams and talk to them about our defense because everyone else is quite impressed. I’m not exactly sure how you think a short team that can’t shoot has won 4 Big 12 games if they aren’t good at defense.

We were up 19 and out of a timeout Boynton switched D and went to a full court 2 front. WV through over the top and hit a wide open 3. Then because he subbed to a guy who hadn’t olayed in a month we shot a crazy 1 on 3 Didn’t get back and gave another wide open 3. Boynton’s decisions in that timeout cost us that game.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
Gotta say the last offensive possession for tcu was a charge and the sorry ass ref missed it. Anderson established position outside the arc. I hate the charge/blocking foul, refs are inconsistent as hell when calling it. Have no idea how to correct that though.

With that being said most of the team had their collective head’s up their asses on that possession. They did not get back to defend but really were not pressing either. Gave tcu an easy opportunity to score.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That one I don't blame on coaches, three guys just surrounded the ball in the backcourt and left TCU players all alone on other end. Can't really "practice" that.

I agree it was a charge. I actually think usually refs call the charge way too often. Just can't leave the game in those fools (refs) hands.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
That’s absolutely not why we lost to WV. We lost to WV because Culver went for 22 points and 19 rebounds, all of that coming off of half court post ups. Pressing had nothing to do with it.

If you don’t think we’re good defensively you need to find some fans of other teams and talk to them about our defense because everyone else is quite impressed. I’m not exactly sure how you think a short team that can’t shoot has won 4 Big 12 games if they aren’t good at defense.

We just allowed 81 points to TCU. They shot 49%. TCU scored 51 against KU, 46 against OU, 49 against Baylor. They average 69 points per game, but scored 81 and 77 against OSU.

The only teams in league play that we've held under 70 are Iowa State and KSU. In the games we've won in league play we had to score 82, 75, 81, and 70. Two of those wins are against AWFUL basketball teams.

One thing all five of our conference losses have in common? Allowed over 75 points in each of them.

Our four wins? Only Texas Tech scored over 77 and that was OT.

Seems like if we could just hold a team below 75 points, the record wouldn't be 4--5.
I mean we play just about the most uptempo style in the league, we make up for our lack of shooting by trying to get out and run so it’s creating higher scores.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
You’ve never heard of a range of outcomes? Because it didn’t work it must have been wrong? I like that Boyton actually tried to play to the team’s strengths, and this team’s strengths is causing chaos with perimeter defense.

As for your point about 25 2 point baskets, I would direct you to 1) easy points off turnovers 2) their bigs absolutely working us. They had a lot of points and 11 offensive rebounds. It was a true nightmare for Boone today and while MAM hung in there in the first half the second half didn’t go his way either.

No point in arguing since we obviously don't agree. I'll stay on this board, though, and keep posting if my opinion is that we don't play good defense.

I haven't conversed with the same fans that you have that are impressed with the D. I think we can play good "at times" but I also think thats because of a high risk defense that will have its moments but also will get burned. If the results were different, and we had not just got swept by TCU, I might not have a foundation for my argument.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

We were up 19 and out of a timeout Boynton switched D and went to a full court 2 front. WV through over the top and hit a wide open 3. Then because he subbed to a guy who hadn’t olayed in a month we shot a crazy 1 on 3 Didn’t get back and gave another wide open 3. Boynton’s decisions in that timeout cost us that game.
I mean I agree Boyton cost us that game by going to DWill cuz he thought it was over and yes back to back 3s happened, but hey at that point we’re still up by double digits. But how they made up all those points to take the lead were through the post.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
How do you not call a timeout when you have the ball with 15 seconds in a tie game?

Been watching basketball for a very long time and I've never seen a coach sit on his time out there....

Worst case you go to overtime. There's no way you allow a scenario where you can lose the game in regulation.

The shot clock was off.
Boynton is a shitty coach. And I like the guy but I'm just being real.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
No point in arguing since we obviously don't agree. I'll stay on this board, though, and keep posting if my opinion is that we don't play good defense.

I haven't conversed with the same fans that you have that are impressed with the D. I think we can play good "at times" but I also think thats because of a high risk defense that will have its moments but also will get burned. If the results were different, and we had not just got swept by TCU, I might not have a foundation for my argument.
Bingo!! Dead on. Can play good D but too aggressive overplay allow too many dang layups. Not staying of our man to make teams shoot over us at least.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

My point is that teams need identity, identity is what gets you through the crap when you keep throwing the ball to the other team or nothing is falling. Clearly we disagree on what that identity should be (although I don’t really think you’ve actually said what we’re good at yet), but I’m not going to fault Boyton for leaning into the team’s identity to win a game.

The story of this game shouldn’t be we lost a late game situation even though we admittedly did, it’s that overall we deserved to lose that game because for 35 minutes of that game we were playing asleep. I know everything can be blamed on the coach, “why doesn’t he have his guys ready blah blah”, but I’m much more interested in actually holding the guys on the court accountable. Cade it took some real spite for you to show up and once you did there were almost as many inefficient head down plays as highlights. Kalib was an unmitigated disaster, and Ice might have been worse. I don’t want to be reactionary and call for changes in the starting line up but we’ve got to be watching Ice closely. And overall nobody was winning the loose balls. One mistake Boyton did make was not finding a way to get Keylan some minutes, because even though Keylan hasn’t been good this year, a dose of his first to the floor mentality was desperately needed. We desperately needed someone who cared more in that game, and the only reason it got close was the TCU crowd challenging Cade.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City

That's fair. Our defense is usually a bit better than tonight but we are too aggressive at times.. gotta be smart and stay in front of man at least change style last 5 minutes

Aug 30, 2018
Jonesville South Carolina
That one I don't blame on coaches, three guys just surrounded the ball in the backcourt and left TCU players all alone on other end. Can't really "practice" that.

I agree it was a charge. I actually think usually refs call the charge way too often. Just can't leave the game in those fools (refs) hands.
Our ten missed free throws is what left the game in the hands of those fools.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Avery can be a pest on the ball when he has four teammates in established defensive position behind him to help out.

WVU picked our press apart--probably the main reason they came back and won.

We're not really good at anything defensively, which is way we allow a double digit run almost every single game.
Zero identity on defense. I would simplify things because this multiple approach is not the solution. With our athletes I would be a predominant zone team with full Court, three-quarter Court, and sometimes just token pressure every now and then. In the right match up maybe you go man 2 man for short spurts. This back-and-forth strategy and getting out of things that seem to be working at the most inappropriate times is just beyond excusable to me at this point for a man making $1 million.