Football 2023 General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
The onus is on McEndoo. He recruits and coaches these kids. If there is a talent deficit at the position the buck stops in one place.
Yea, but I'm willing to give a bit of a pass here just based on recent history. Holgy eliminated the position in his offense. Now I know he toyed with the FB/TE hybrid later on, and Monken later, but clearly, our glory years and immediately after were not focused on recruiting the position. Now I know that's been a long time ago, but it seems we've had a hard time deciding what we really wanted to do there, with using walk ons, converting other position players, JUCO, etc. We also whiffed on a bigtime recruit with Boomer. I'm sure moving 4 scholys to defense plays a roll as well. All that to say I think he's been put in a bit of a tough spot when it comes to recruiting that position.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
I don't know if Green moves to the CB is permanent? Cassity has been dealing with a high ankle sprain, Logan Carter has fought back from a herniated disc, and we've moved a OL to TE. Austin Jarrad wasn't nowhere close to being ready to play. Maybe the real reason why we've struggled is b/c we've whiffed in recruiting. I mean Baron Odom was a bust. We chose Jake Ross NEO JUCO TE over Jace Sternberger, who was a All-american at Texas A&M, and was a in-state kid (Kingfisher) who grew up an OSU fan. Sione Finefeuiaki, another JUCO TE/CB was a bust. Grayson Boomer was a bust as well. I mean we've struck out quite a bit on the recruiting trail getting kids to play the position.

McEndoo has better luck getting kids to walk-on than getting scholarship players. Our scheme isn't attractive for TE's who want to be pass catchers. If you want to be a blocking TE/CB 90% of the time, and catch a pass every few games, we're the place for you! Having enough bixby kids is nice, but doesn't mean much. It's about fit. In the event he does decommit, I'd be aware of Arkansas being a major player. He has family ties to the school and is fond of Pittman.
I wonder how the Tabry Shettron kid will pan out for us. Decent recruit as a 3⭐ and has good height at 6'4 as well, that Sante Fe pipeline has been working out well so far

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Yea, I don't think it will be a permanent move, but it does at least point out that we will use the position if we have someone that can get open.

And I just spoke to my Bixby source, and he agrees with your Arky assessment.
I mean it could be…he’s 6’2 pushing 220 so it’s not out of the realm. If shettron comes in and is used in a similar way…maybe I’ll be into the change l but right now i can’t. At the end of the day mcendoo is responsible for the recruiting and developing of these players. He doesn’t get a pass. He needs to actually do better recruiting instead of relying on players from different positions

Mar 11, 2006
Yea, I don't think it will be a permanent move, but it does at least point out that we will use the position if we have someone that can get open.

And I just spoke to my Bixby source, and he agrees with your Arky assessment.
His family has strong Arkansas ties - mom went there. His dad played at TU, but I don’t think they are a player.
On the bright side, there are some OSU ties as well. Maybe another package like Shettron.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
I don’t think it’s all McEndoo’s fault. It’s the structure of the offense. Even when we’ve had a guy that can catch and would be a great TE, we just don’t throw them the ball. Exhibit A: Blake Jarwin, Exhibit B:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
I don’t think it’s all McEndoo’s fault. It’s the structure of the offense. Even when we’ve had a guy that can catch and would be a great TE, we just don’t throw them the ball. Exhibit A: Blake Jarwin, Exhibit B:

If that's the case it makes you wonder why we don't just rotate TE into the OL position and use the position for special teams.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla

I thought we should have thrown him the ball alittle more…his Blocking I wasn’t crazy about

Jan 14, 2006
If that's the case it makes you wonder why we don't just rotate TE into the OL position and use the position for special teams.
That's pretty much what we were forced to do. The oline was so devastated by injuries, transfers etc last year that we had to keep them in to block a lot.

Also, we prioritize targets based on how dangerous guys are once they have the ball. For instance, let's say it's 3rd and 8 and you've got Jelani and Stoner both open, who should you throw to? That's why Green is actually getting looks.

We also tried early to get Jelani involved in the red zone and it just didn't happen for him. I'm glad he's having success at UVA and I believe he would have had a lot more targets for us this year if he'd stayed.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
What do y’all think about Stogner thru the portal? Doubt we go after him or he consider us…but with his size and experience, I might be wrong but I think he could boost our offense overall.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Edmond, OK
What do y’all think about Stogner thru the portal? Doubt we go after him or he consider us…but with his size and experience, I might be wrong but I think he could boost our offense overall.
Would love to have him. 247 is already predicting south Carolina. Probably the Shane beamer connection

Mar 8, 2010
If 2011 is any indication, I doubt we get much of a recruiting boost from this year’s success on the field. Gundy seems to recruit to our culture and 4 and 5 star kids often aren’t a match for the blue collar work ethnic he demands.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Edmond, OK
If 2011 is any indication, I doubt we get much of a recruiting boost from this year’s success on the field. Gundy seems to recruit to our culture and 4 and 5 star kids often aren’t a match for the blue collar work ethnic he demands.
Agree but I think he is trying to do both. This year's class is the best he has ever had from a star power perspective. It's a small class but ties for the most ever 4 stars. And it's not done yet. Still a spot or two open.

dbt974s

Wrangler
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Agree but I think he is trying to do both. This year's class is the best he has ever had from a star power perspective. It's a small class but ties for the most ever 4 stars. And it's not done yet. Still a spot or two open.
If we make the CFP and retain Knowles, I expect a jump in recruiting particularly on the defensive side of the ball. It will be interesting to see if they become more active in the portal with some of these higher end transfers as well.

Beat Baylor!

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX
What's the deal with Steele Wasel? I like the size the kid has. Talent? I'm in Texas so don't know a lot about Oklahoma HS football but like it when we get local kids.