Men's Basketball 2022 General Recruiting Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
I never get my hopes up too high on these five stars. Like we've seen, Boynton can build the relationship and maybe catch them in portal later. But, I think if he keeps hanging in there with many of them year in, and year out, he will start getting some more of them out of high school, here and there.

And then he needs to stay in his wheelhouse, which is the top 50-150 type guys.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I never get my hopes up too high on these five stars. Like we've seen, Boynton can build the relationship and maybe catch them in portal later. But, I think if he keeps hanging in there with many of them year in, and year out, he will start getting some more of them out of high school, here and there.

And then he needs to stay in his wheelhouse, which is the top 50-150 type guys.
I agree and that only improves if OSU starts landing players in the NBA every other year..

A lot of people think Cade was a given to be the top player in the NBA draft, but it seems like every year the projected #1 drops over the year leading up to the draft. That was quite an accomplishment to put him in a position to maintain that projection.

Sep 23, 2010
I agree and that only improves if OSU starts landing players in the NBA every other year..

A lot of people think Cade was a given to be the top player in the NBA draft, but it seems like every year the projected #1 drops over the year leading up to the draft. That was quite an accomplishment to put him in a position to maintain that projection.
I think the NBA thing helps. But I'm not sure how much. These guys believe they are going to the NBA regardless. I think it's a combination of everything. NBA, Coach and School Success.

I think these top players like Boynton a lot, so they at least give OSU a visit. But, we just haven't won enough games yet to put ourselves on the pedestal of consisting landing these 5 star type guys every year out of high school. If we start being highly successful, along with Boynton's relationship building abilities, then we could start landing some monster classes more consistently.

Jan 13, 2008
I think the NBA thing helps. But I'm not sure how much. These guys believe they are going to the NBA regardless. I think it's a combination of everything. NBA, Coach and School Success.

I think these top players like Boynton a lot, so they at least give OSU a visit. But, we just haven't won enough games yet to put ourselves on the pedestal of consisting landing these 5 star type guys every year out of high school. If we start being highly successful, along with Boynton's relationship building abilities, then we could start landing some monster classes more consistently.
OSU has had 4 players drafted in the last 10 years. That is a tough sell, even with a new coach and improving program. He has actually out-performed OSU's recent history.

I agree that the portal might end up being Coach Boynton's best tool in recruiting.

Sep 23, 2010
OSU has had 4 players drafted in the last 10 years. That is a tough sell, even with a new coach and improving program. He has actually out-performed OSU's recent history.

I agree that the portal might end up being Coach Boynton's best tool in recruiting.
I'm not sure if Boynton has out performed that if that's the metric. He has 1 drafted NBA player in four years, that means there were 3 in the previous 6 that he was not the head coach. We will see if some of these other guys can get drafted. We have many borderline guys but no surefire NBA draft-able players at the moment. But like I said, I think the first thing is to get consistent winning teams, which inevitably produce NBA draft picks and allow you to sign more likely NBA type talents (if that's the type of player a coach wants to recruit). Gonzaga, for the longest time, developed players into NBA players. It's just recently they've been able to sign 5-star talents out of high school.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
The x-factor will be our fan support and a sold out GIA. Students camping outside for games Eddie Sutton style.
I did a seat move today - there were way more seats available than I hoped there would be. It helped me out, but I hope the sales go well this fall. Of course, sales may be normal for this time of year and I wouldn't know.

Dec 21, 2008
Like I have mentioned before most games are streamed live now. That kills the fan support travelling. 6pm games are empty because people get off work at 5pm and 8pm games people dont get home til 11pm so its a lose lose. 7pm non-tv games are our best bet for attendance!

Jan 13, 2008
I'm not sure if Boynton has out performed that if that's the metric. He has 1 drafted NBA player in four years, that means there were 3 in the previous 6 that he was not the head coach. We will see if some of these other guys can get drafted. We have many borderline guys but no surefire NBA draft-able players at the moment. But like I said, I think the first thing is to get consistent winning teams, which inevitably produce NBA draft picks and allow you to sign more likely NBA type talents (if that's the type of player a coach wants to recruit). Gonzaga, for the longest time, developed players into NBA players. It's just recently they've been able to sign 5-star talents out of high school.
You may want to hold Boynton responsible for not having an NBA player drafted the first 3 years as a coach, but I'm not. I definitely wouldn't the first two years with another coaches players.

My "out performed" comment is his ability to recruit players that contribute and develop year to year.

He did start out pretty rough with the discipline in the first two years, but I think he has a better grasp of it now.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I think that high level recruit are getting smarter and smarter about where they choose their spots. Since so many of them are aiming to be 1 and done’s the guys are picking teams where they know there is baked in playing time to their commitment.

Baylor didn’t land Keyonte George (and 2021 5 star too) just because of the championship, it’s the Chip AND the fact that they lost Butler and Mitchell creating a major hole at their lead guard spot. KU’s 2021 team is going to be old, 3 of the 5 starters are locks not to be back and one more entered the draft process this year and returned. It makes sense that they land a bunch of big talent with the holes they’ll have. Duke, Kentucky, and Memphis always have spots for one and dones to be the lead ball handlers, but I do think that players are working out that if you want a better college season, find the program with a good experienced surrounding team and needs what you bring to the table. That’s why we’re seeing more Gonzaga with the top recruits.

Right now, OSU doesn’t have that. It was always pretty unlikely that Keyonte was going to show up when he was going to be going up against 4th year Avery Anderson and 3rd year Bryce Thompson for minutes. Honestly, with how our line up is developing, we likely aren’t going to be landing any big recruits until 2024 (maybe a spot for a lead guard in 2023 if Avery leaves). But the fact that Boynton is keeping us in every big recruits graphics gives us major credibility as a destination. The important thing is now that we win big over the next 3 years and keep the program in the spotlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2008
I think that high level recruit are getting smarter and smarter about where they choose their spots. Since so many of them are aiming to be 1 and done’s the guys are picking teams where they know there is baked in playing time to their commitment.

Baylor didn’t land Keynote George (and 2021 5 star too) just because of the championship, it’s the Chip AND the fact that they lost Butler and Mitchell creating a major hole at their lead guard spot. KU’s 2021 team is going to be old, 3 of the 5 starters are locks not to be back and one more entered the draft process this year and returned. It makes sense that they land a bunch of big talent with the holes they’ll have. Duke, Kentucky, and Memphis always have spots for one and dones to be the lead ball handlers, but I do think that players are working out that if you want a better college season, find the program with a good experienced surrounding team and needs what you bring to the table. That’s why we’re seeing more Gonzaga with the top recruits.

Right now, OSU doesn’t have that. It was always pretty unlikely that Keynote was going to show up when he was going to be going up against 4th year Avery Anderson and 3rd year Bryce Thompson for minutes. Honestly, with how our line up is developing, we likely aren’t going to be landing any big recruits until 2024 (maybe a spot for a lead guard in 2023 if Avery leaves). But the fact that Boynton is keeping us in every big recruits graphics gives us major credibility as a destination. The important thing is now that we win big over the next 3 years and keep the program in the spotlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post and I agree with this. Just look at where we are at right now. We have 5-star guys transferring in and they might not even be starters next season.