2021 MLB draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I would guess Ehrhard and Ure are gone based on their ranking and where they went. I’m going to hold out hope for Riggio until I see otherwise.
I love your optimism…..Brewers will make a run. Will be enough is the question? One thing they have in favor is they did draft seniors that will come at discount price so they’ll have some money to spend

daspree

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 12, 2005
South Central (Oklahoma)
So last year 5 rounds, this year 17ish?
What about all the 5th yr Seniors? Do they sign UDFA deals now?
20 rounds this year. Any undrafted draft eligible player can sign for up to $20,000. With the MiLB contraction there are fewer spots available. We saw a bump in talent for this draft because of only 5 rounds last year. But that negatively impacted player bonuses for some. A third year draft eligible player taken in the eighth round in a fictional 2020 draft would get a significantly higher bonus than that same player (now a 4th year) taken in the same spot in 2021. I've seen drafted 5th year seniors sign for around $5,000 (way under slot). I would suspect that some undrafted players with a year of eligibility left will sign as free agents this year, instead of waiting until next year for a draft that may have 40 rounds or may have 20. At least they might find some negotiating power if multiple teams want to sign them.