2021 Football Roster Talk

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
No inside information here, but as someone who’s been following my impression is just they we have better options than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I guess so. I’ll definitely trust the coaches on that one, but I’m surprised he wouldn’t be an upgrade over Springfield.
I’m a little surprised by it too honestly. Especially when where we seem to be really struggling is the run game, Anthony has got all the size to help with that. They must feel really uncomfortable with his ability on the edge. He looks long though, so hopefully there’s still something there prospect-wise.

I wouldn’t necessarily lose hope on him, they seem to be playing musical chairs early on with the line so there’s a good chance he gets a chance to fight for a spot at some point.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
From 247’s recap of Gundy’s Monday press conference:

ON MOVING COLE BIRMINGHAM TO LEFT TACKLE:
"It's just based on some of the changes we made with our personnel and trying to give ourselves the best chance. Some of it's based on a matchup with the team we're playing. Each one of those guys, like (Taylor) Miterko's still young. In most cases in years past, offensive linemen don't play until they're in their third year of your program. They redshirt, they're a redshirt freshman, a redshirt sophomore start competing a little bit, then their bodies change and they get mature. These guys are still really young, so we're trying to move them around, put them in the best position to give us success based on who we're playing."

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Just read the whole press conference and Gundy seems very concerned about our youth on the outside (at WR). To the point where they don’t want to play as much 10 and 11 personnel.

Last edited:

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
So we go an entire spring and offsesson with Miterko snd Etienne battling for the LT position and now both are relegated to backups, one at a different position entirely? Wow.

Jan 14, 2006
Just read the whole press conference and Gundy seems very concerned about our youth on the outside. To the point where they don’t want to play as much 10 and 11 personnel.

I know I've been optimistic to a fault but the situation at receiver has me worried.

Martin, Anderson and Johnson are 3 of our 4 most talented receivers. Hopefully Martin is good to go next week but we're still going to be limited.

I rewatched the TU game and they basically played man on our receivers and dared us to throw. We chose to run into a stacked box over and over again instead. Not sure what the answer is but hopefully we hit on a good game plan.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
So we go an entire spring and offsesson with Miterko snd Etienne battling for the LT position and now both are relegated to backups, one at a different position entirely? Wow.
Nothing like live fire to really test your guys. And Etienne didn’t even get onto campus until late into the summer so I guess they want to go more with guys who have been in the program.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Just read the whole press conference and Gundy seems very concerned about our youth on the outside. To the point where they don’t want to play as much 10 and 11 personnel.

I know I've been optimistic to a fault but the situation at receiver has me worried.

Martin, Anderson and Johnson are 3 of our 4 most talented receivers. Hopefully Martin is good to go next week but we're still going to be limited.

I rewatched the TU game and they basically played man on our receivers and dared us to throw. We chose to run into a stacked box over and over again instead. Not sure what the answer is but hopefully we hit on a good game plan.
I don’t know, it’s hard to tell what little things the WRs are doing wrong without a really refined eye. So they could be taking routes to the wrong depth or making wrong reads. But as far as just ball in the air skills and blocking, Bray and the Green twins both clearly have the bodies and physicality needed. As long as Presley is around to play the slot and we get Tay back then we should have decent depth to go 3 wide.

Jan 14, 2006
I don’t know, it’s hard to tell what little things the WRs are doing wrong without a really refined eye. So they could be taking routes to the wrong depth or making wrong reads. But as far as just ball in the air skills and blocking, Bray and the Green twins both clearly have the bodies and physicality needed. As long as Presley is around to play the slot and we get Tay back then we should have decent depth to go 3 wide.

Yeah. It seems to my untrained eyes that Sanders is way better with 4 wide but if we don't have the dudes we don't have the dudes.

Owens has looked good catching the ball but who knows where he's at on the rest of it like you said.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

Yeah. It seems to my untrained eyes that Sanders is way better with 4 wide but if we don't have the dudes we don't have the dudes.

Owens has looked good catching the ball but who knows where he's at on the rest of it like you said.
Here’s to hoping they’ve just been a little to cagey with not going deeper into playbook.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Written by a Boise St fan on Reddit:

“Oklahoma State LB Malcolm Rodriguez: Rodriguez has been a machine through two weeks of the season. He leads the nation in tackles, has 1.5 TFL, a forced fumble, and a deflected pass. However, the impact he does end up having will be interesting. So far, the Oklahoma State defense is facing 38 rushes per game and 36.5 passes per game; a near 50/50 split. While Boise State is showing just about the same ratio (31.5 rushes to 32 passes per game), that is heavily influenced by Boise State pounding the ball late against UTEP when the game was out of hand and the Broncos racked up a lot of extra carries. In that first half, 19 pass plays were called to 10 rushes and that’s more in line of what I would expect from Boise State. So how does that affect Rodriguez? His presence may not be as felt as Boise State’s offense could easily shy away from more rushes and their passing attack generally attacks the secondary and not the LBs. Oklahoma State would love for Rodriguez, who had a strong game against Boise State in 2018, to come up big again even if it involves more work in the passing game.”

Other than OU, this might be the most potent aerial attack this year. I hope we see a lot of Thomas Harper

Nov 6, 2010
Written by a Boise St fan on Reddit:

“Oklahoma State LB Malcolm Rodriguez: Rodriguez has been a machine through two weeks of the season. He leads the nation in tackles, has 1.5 TFL, a forced fumble, and a deflected pass. However, the impact he does end up having will be interesting. So far, the Oklahoma State defense is facing 38 rushes per game and 36.5 passes per game; a near 50/50 split. While Boise State is showing just about the same ratio (31.5 rushes to 32 passes per game), that is heavily influenced by Boise State pounding the ball late against UTEP when the game was out of hand and the Broncos racked up a lot of extra carries. In that first half, 19 pass plays were called to 10 rushes and that’s more in line of what I would expect from Boise State. So how does that affect Rodriguez? His presence may not be as felt as Boise State’s offense could easily shy away from more rushes and their passing attack generally attacks the secondary and not the LBs. Oklahoma State would love for Rodriguez, who had a strong game against Boise State in 2018, to come up big again even if it involves more work in the passing game.”

Other than OU, this might be the most potent aerial attack this year. I hope we see a lot of Thomas Harper

Agree

Nov 6, 2010

This seems like the perfect game to test the youth and let them play. We don't win this one just running the ball poorly like we've done the last two, and it's not a conference game, so losing doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Here's hoping they air it out and we really see what we have in these young receivers. If we lose that way, I'm fine with it, as at least it will pay dividends later.