2021 Football Roster Talk

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
There wasn’t an active thread for discussing the personnel/players actually on the team so I thought I’d start one. This is the place for talking about break-out players, positional battles, weaknesses, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
One deeper guy I’m really excited about is Lamont Bishop. At the spring game his size at inside linebacker really stood out (6’3 in the middle of the defense went a long way) and I thought he played really well. Would be very excited for any playing time he got.

Pokengineer

Go Pokes!
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
One deeper guy I’m really excited about is Lamont Bishop. At the spring game his size at inside linebacker really stood out (6’3 in the middle of the defense went a long way) and I thought he played really well. Would be very excited for any playing time he got.

Definitely think Lamont gets some run this year. We have really good experienced depth everywhere but corner on defense.

The big position battles for me are LT and outside WR.

I love the stuff we have seen in the news about the Green twins. Sounds like we will be young and talented at WR.

Oct 30, 2007
Here are some random notes I've heard over the past few weeks:
1. The game has slowed down for Spencer Sanders. I heard the same thing going into last year, but hopefully it's actually true this year. A lot is riding on his shoulders.
2. Celeb Etienne has started splitting first team reps at left tackle in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start from game one.
3. Tay Martin came in out of shape last year, and it took awhile for him to pick up the system. I expect him to play a much bigger part of the offense this year.
4. Collin Oliver looks good. I've heard that he could end up being even more athletic than Trace Ford. He's got some good players in front of him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute some as a true freshman.
5. Speaking of Trace Ford, I've heard that he's expected to be held out of the Missouri State game, but he should be back for the Tulsa game.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Really interested in the battle at LT between Etienne and Miterko. Also curious to see which true freshmen make an impact. Jaden Bray has been showing up big since spring, but also hoping Langston Anderson asserts himself.

https://twitter.com/CowboyFB/status/1426204524251811852?s=20

Jan 14, 2006
Really interested in the battle at LT between Etienne and Miterko. Also curious to see which true freshmen make an impact. Jaden Bray has been showing up big since spring, but also hoping Langston Anderson asserts himself.

That WR situation is going to be interesting Martin has one outside spot locked up. B. Johnson and Pressley have the inside locked up and then we have a bunch of guys fighting for the other spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the following take the spot:
Green twins
Anderson
Owens
Shepherd
Bray

That's a lot of talent. Should be fun to see who steps up.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater

That WR situation is going to be interesting Martin has one outside spot locked up. B. Johnson and Pressley have the inside locked up and then we have a bunch of guys fighting for the other spot. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the following take the spot:
Green twins
Anderson
Owens
Shepherd
Bray

That's a lot of talent. Should be fun to see who steps up.
The most interesting WR to me is Braydon Johnson. I thought at the spring game he was carrying himself completely different (you can tell he likes being the elder statesman) and was playing with a different level of confidence. But at this point, it’s pretty clear that he’s viewed by the staff explicitly as a slot guy but he’s not going to start over BP. I’d really like to see him on the field, but the only way seems that seems likely is in 4 wide, and that’s as much about our confidence in the oline as it is anything else.

But one of Sanders’ best attributes is his deep ball, I think Johnson is the best guy to unlock that.

Last edited:

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
I have noticed that Trey Rucker is still on the roster; was a formal punishment ever announced? Should we expect him to sit for a couple games or will he be available against Missouri State?

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Is anyone concerned about the lack of proven depth at LB? Rodriguez and Harper (who's been very injury prone) will be starting, and we know Cobb has a lot of potential. After that, we've got some guys who've been around for a while, but we don't really know what they bring to the table. Thoughts?

Jan 14, 2006
Is anyone concerned about the lack of proven depth at LB? Rodriguez and Harper (who's been very injury prone) will be starting, and we know Cobb has a lot of potential. After that, we've got some guys who've been around for a while, but we don't really know what they bring to the table. Thoughts?
I can't remember where I read it but apparently Lamont Bishop has been looking pretty good. That's a solid two deep.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Offense Takeaways:

All of the “ORs” at RB, no true starter.

No decision made on Etienne vs Miterko, unlike RB, that spot won’t be rotated a bunch.

It was widely projected, but it’s still a bit surprising to me if you take a macro look that Woodward is starting at RG and RT Springfield over Cole Birmingham and Hunter Anthony who were both the better prospects AND 2020 starters to start the season (which they lost due to injury).

4 WR spots in the starting line up, obviously the depth chart isn’t an actual formation but hopefully a sign for more 4 wide this year. Let’s get Brennen AND Braydon on the field.

Langston Anderson a back up to Tay Martin instead of starting across from him AND he got an OR with Bray making him not even the defacto 2.

The TWINS! Blaine winning an out right starting job and his brother right behind him.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Here are some random notes I've heard over the past few weeks:
1. The game has slowed down for Spencer Sanders. I heard the same thing going into last year, but hopefully it's actually true this year. A lot is riding on his shoulders.
2. Celeb Etienne has started splitting first team reps at left tackle in practice. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start from game one.
3. Tay Martin came in out of shape last year, and it took awhile for him to pick up the system. I expect him to play a much bigger part of the offense this year.
4. Collin Oliver looks good. I've heard that he could end up being even more athletic than Trace Ford. He's got some good players in front of him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him contribute some as a true freshman.
5. Speaking of Trace Ford, I've heard that he's expected to be held out of the Missouri State game, but he should be back for the Tulsa game.
1) This is truly the year we see what Spencer is made of, he is THE guy this year so I hope he put in the maximum effort this off season to get healthy and hone his craft.
2) I will take all the help we can get at O-line, especially after the craziness that was last year. I dont care how good of a QB or RB you are, you are not gonna have the same windows to throw though and the same lanes to run through with a depleted line.
3) Besides Pressley I am expecting some good things from him, not only finally coming into the season in shape, but he has the frame to be a terror in the red zone this year, I have heard comparisons to Ateman.
4) I love the pass rushers we have been getting from Edmond Santa Fe, keeping that pipeline going is a must for the future of recruiting in state talent.
5) Better to be safe than sorry with him, he will be needed down the line in conference play more than anything.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
Defense Takeaways:

My guy Lamont not making the 2 deep at LB :(

Brock Martin getting the “OR” with Trace Ford

I’m not sure what I was expecting at the 2nd DT spot replacing Cam Murray, but I’m encouraged by Jernigan getting the OR with Evers. There will be a lot of rotation there as Asi and Sam T are both really good contributors.

I’m a little disappointed with Christian Holmes getting the 2nd CB spot without even an OR. I would have preferred one of the other guys just to take away the deep pass. We know that JBC will probably just take away one side of the field instead of traveling, so the speedy WRs swapping onto Holmes is scary to me.

Don’t sleep on our back up safeties. Taylor was pretty darn good last year and Michael Flanagan was a really good recruit.

Despite all the hype about Collin Oliver, he’s not on the 2 deep.

Even more surprising, Collin Clay is nowhere to be found.